House Price Crash Forum
Self Employed Youth

1981, 2002, Pivotal Points In The Direction Of Housing Tenure

http://www.communities.gov.uk/housing/housingresearch/housingstatistics/housingstatisticsby/stockincludingvacants/livetables/

Chart 103...

Throughout the 50s, 60s and 70s, the private rented sector as a form of tenure decreased massively in scope, local authority and owner occupation was the order of the day. Britain bloomed as it boomed. In the 80s the demise of local authority housing began, in 2002 owner occupation also began to fall.

The chart speaks for itself.

One of the other tables contains the data upon London. Over 25% of properties are privately rented!

...One of the other tables contains the data upon London. Over 25% of properties are privately rented!

London's owner occupation rate is 53%. Far lower than any other part of the country [even the North East is 63%, South East is 71%] . Also rental yields there are very low . "Supply and demand", eh...

Edited by the flying pig

dwellingstockbysize.gif

Thanks for posting this image in the thread, for some reason I couldn't post it as an image, and had to link to it.

This image should be up there along with the house prices vs average income on the homepage if you ask me, showing the fall of social housing and home ownership and the rise of landlordism.

Thanks for posting this image in the thread, for some reason I couldn't post it as an image, and had to link to it.

This image should be up there along with the house prices vs average income on the homepage if you ask me, showing the fall of social housing and home ownership and the rise of landlordism.

Local authorities are landlords too! They also take rent payments and go to court to evict tenants. Not as often as private LLs/housing associations.

On that basis, the chart shows the decline of landlordism, but with a gradual recovery under NuLab.