House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Chocolate Machine

OK, so here's the issue.

At work there is a public vending machine (open to a large number of businesses). This machine is useful for emergency chocolate when you're working late. It has a history of poor performance, taking money and giving nothing out. However people use it because it is the only alternative.

Recently though the person stacking the machine has been pretty poor quality. So much so that a couple of times per week by selecting the appropriate selection I can get two chocolate bars rather than one out.

So here's the dilemma :

Is it stealing to select a bar when you know two are going to come out ?

At first I thought, yes, it is, in the respect that if you go into a shop all the bars are accessible. That doesn't mean you can pay for just one and grab 6.

On the other hand, I notice there is no statement of contract on the machine. In other words, there is no sign anywhere that says that if you put in 70p you will only get 1 item. It seems to just be something that people take for granted in the use of the machine.

So what do you think.

Should I continue to put in 70p and select the right bar to get 2, safe in the knowledge that I am not stealing, or should I inform the owner of the low stacking quality ?

If the machine has taken your money without giving you your chocolate, then surely you are just getting late delivery of your bars? :rolleyes:

I think that you should get help.

Seriously, is this the shit that keeps you awake at night?

When you put in no pence and shake the crap out of the machine so that it drops a couple of chocolate bars then you can worry about if you are doing the right thing or not :lol:

I think that you should get help.

I can get all the chocolate I need by myself thanks.

Seriously, is this the shit that keeps you awake at night?

No, I don't recall saying anywhere that it did.

When you put in no pence and shake the crap out of the machine so that it drops a couple of chocolate bars then you can worry about if you are doing the right thing or not :lol:

It's felt the force of some steel toecaps before, but that was after money was inserted.

Is it the vendors penalty for poor performance?

The vendor clearly pays some consequences.

I guess what I was wondering was (on the way back from the machine in case Number79 asks), if I insert 70p in the machine, get one bar, then use a special tool I have devised to remove a second bar (without damaging the machine in any way, which is perfectly possible given the nature of this machine), how is that any different ?

Providing it's not the genuinely needy who put their money in and get no chocolate, you should double bag your chocs all day long.

Hth

Of course, if the vending machine technician has to make up for the revenue shortfall out of his own pocket...

I always think if I get 2 bars out, that is payback for all the times when a machine didn't give me anything.

On a side note, I've noticed that chocolate bar inflation is going through the roof - A snickers bar was about 40p in the newsagents a few years ago, now 65p! At least it's making me eat less I guess...

Is this a real question?

:lol:

Seriously though, there must be loads of dodges with vending machines, I suspect since Google came along most of these loopholes have been shut. But do any still work?

I know on some if you don't get dispensed with a bar after choosing (it was loaded wrong and instead of being dispensed does an Italian Job at the edge of the shelf) you should still have credit in the machine. Eject the money and reinsert, choose the same bar number and you should blow the bloody doors off with 2 bars of choc! Any more for any more?

I always think if I get 2 bars out, that is payback for all the times when a machine didn't give me anything.

On a side note, I've noticed that chocolate bar inflation is going through the roof - A snickers bar was about 40p in the newsagents a few years ago, now 65p! At least it's making me eat less I guess...

Anyone that uses wholesalers knows just how cheaply chocolate bars can be bought.

When I can buy a box of mars bars at less than 40p each and then see them at 70p each in a vending machine I am not going to worry about getting two at once and denting the profits of the owner.

Garages are well known for being expensive but even the worst of them now seem to sell chocolate and crisps cheaper than I see them in vending machines.

The guy that does our vending machines has something like 14 sites, he drives a brand new merc and makes a living from the machines. If he makes enough from selling chocolate bars to not do any other work and be as comfortable as he is then I wont feel guilty about getting free bars when he is marking them up so much and screwing everybody.