House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Downside

Dealing With Online Only Letting Agent

Hello everyone again, as my search for a rental continues I have found a place to rent that looks reasonable for the price in the pictures so decided to arrange a booking. I emailed last night around 7pm time through rightmove and as of now have not yet had a reply.

So I decided to phoned the number on rightmove which some woman answered who then gave me another number for the lettings agent a mobile number and a landline. I phoned the landline and it just says its an invalid number. So thinking I might have taken the number down wrong phoned the mobile but this just goes straight to an automated answer machine saying they are an online agent only and the fastest way to contact them is via email.

Has anyone ever dealt with online agents only? Do you think I should avoid this one as the landline not being valid does give off warning signals, although I might get my gf to phone the number on rightmove again tomorrow to confirm the landline number.

If they do reply to my email and arrange a viewing is there anything I should keep an eye out for to make sure its all legit?

We occasionally let out the annexe of our house :ph34r: . This last time we used one of these on-line only letting agents to get it on Rightmove. Their service was sh*t. We got friends and family to ring up and email a number of times to test their response and we only got one of their referrals ever passed to us - a lot of the time their phone line seemed to be down. Total waste of time. Finally let by word of mouth to a very grateful young couple (it's cheap, very cheap for this area)

I used to be an on-line agent when I bought a franchise. It is a very cheap way to deal, but once you get to a certain limit with stock, it becomes too hard to cope with which is why I launched a new company with a partner on the high street.

When launching I checked out the competition like you do. I noticed that contacting them on-line was pretty much a waste of space unless I contacted them with false details of my criteria saying that my budget was huge. Even then most never contacted me.

I make sure that we contact every lead on-line because we pay good money to find those leads.

You need to think about what happens should you take on a property through an agent that is very hard to contact. What happens if there is a big problem at the property? You need to rely on gaining contact fast.

Well I did get a reply although they replied to my email that I sent directly to them instead of going via rightmove and they replied the next day. Said he was on holiday last week so maybe part of the reason they didn't reply straight away. Viewing is now booked and sorted.

All the emails seem to be sent late in the day though so thinking that they are probably doing this on top of a normal 9 to 5 job. He also asked me what my thoughts were on the upper ceiling price for this property which I thought odd does he expect me to say more than its advertised for?

Sounds like it is an extra income revenue for somebody with the idea of it becoming a full time business. They will do well though as RM will eat up most of their earnings.

I have no idea why they would ask you about the price. Maybe to see if you are a serious lead or not and whether or not you plan to negotiate the rent.