House Price Crash Forum

Stunning Time-Lapse Video Of The Milky Way ‘Ocean Sky’ Wins Prize

HOLA441
HOLA442

Beautiful. I love these long exposure time lapses and that's one of the best I've seen.

There's amazing ones that I found from the large Chilean observatory, for clarity at least. I love the one that you've posted though for all the layers of action: clouds and boats, superb stuff.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Awesome, but how did 31 hours of footage take a year to compile? I'm sure there's a reason just wondering.

I think they mean it took him a year to shoot and compile/process/edit the 31 hours. it's probably all shot on a stills camera too, so each original frame is probably 4500x3000 pixels, and shot in RAW format.

So, 30 Megs per frame makes around 80 Tb of data by my rough calculation.

That's a fair old bit to process by anyone's standards, and just moving that amoount of data from memory cards would take a few days.

HOLA448

Amazing - I've only been able to see the milky way once from this country, and only as a faint smudge across the sky.

We need to have a stated intention to drastically cut down light pollution - if people could see this as opposed to a miserable orange glow they just might have their minds dragged off bread and circuses for a change.

HOLA449

Amazing - I've only been able to see the milky way once from this country, and only as a faint smudge across the sky.

We need to have a stated intention to drastically cut down light pollution - if people could see this as opposed to a miserable orange glow they just might have their minds dragged off bread and circuses for a change.

I heard a story once about a young astronomer working at an observatory who was about to shut the observatory down because of the approaching clouds - until a more experienced colleague pointed out that it was the Milky Way. Presumably the younger one had spent most of their life in cities and had done very little just gazing up at the night sky in a dark location.

HOLA4410

The UK is useless for stargazing.

If you want to see the real night sky then your best bet is somewhere high and dry and away from a lot of people, which explains why the UK is so useless.

I've spent a lot of time in the US desert (9000 odd feet, very dry with many clear sky days). The sky there is just amazing.

Saying that what you can do these days with digital imaging is quite remarkable as well. Even something as small as a 90 mm reflector (wot I got) and using speckle imaging to remove atmospheric distortion you can get some good images, especially when you use purpose built CCD's.

Saw Saturn the other night, looked good, but it's low in the sky so a lot of atmosphere to look through, so no point going for an image.

Archived