House Price Crash Forum

Another 80,000 Can't Get A Full Time Job.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

This will be disastrous for so called public transport, currently prices for tickets going into London are 50% cheaper if you buy the weekly ticket over single tickets.

If you wanted a part time position in London, a daily ticket is £36, most people would accept up to 2/5 of salary spent on travel before they give up and work local. So you would need £15.50 hr. Now that sort of rate your talking a competent semi design level office worker. How many of these part time jobs are at level ... very few I bet!

Another aspect is stress that is rolling through the ranks, the company fires key workers due to contract bids lost, no more work from clients. The people left are stressed working flat out, told just be glad you have a job. Then try and drop workers hours, how long before you just give up? My Wife's job is escalating into a stressfest, Engineers buckling under pressure, mouthing off blaming staff for their failings. Staff get sick of it hand notice in, going through a complete change in career.

Found out today, company is looking to rehire, workload off the scale but now guess what? The workforce that was laid off no longer exists, the same workforce they assumed was unskilled turned out to be unofficially designing. for the Engineers! So now they are left with Graduates and Architect Technicians. The original workers are on the dole or working part time in another industry uninterested in returning to a fire fight.... whooops!

Edited by pathfinder

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Yep.

This year I'll pay no tax or national insurance, working 14 hours a week at the moment. Rent and CT payed by the wife, I pay for food and other bills. If the wife should lose her job we'd go straight onto benefits!

Will you be changing your name to benefit dweller? :P

I can see many people becoming more and more reliant on benefits to pay the bills as the job situation worsens. I presume you'd also then qualify for free dental and prescriptions?

The economic benefit for the low paid to actually work are fast diminishing yet another unintended consequence of creating a high cost economy.

HOLA447

Weird though, because all the BBC is reporting is how unemployment is down.. sure more people are in work, doing cruddy part time work.. but hey

When the government wakes up to what's happening then what? Will they dicide to tax P-T workers?

I suppose they're waiting for things to return to normal...

HOLA448
HOLA449

Is this another 80,000 people who can't genuinely find full time work, or is it the case of technology/progress rendering these 80,000 positions as 'no longer required'?!

This is the problem with the winner takes all corporatist mindset. The winner(s) will end up effectively supporting everyone else. Maybe this is already happening.

HOLA4410

Is this another 80,000 people who can't genuinely find full time work, or is it the case of technology/progress rendering these 80,000 positions as 'no longer required'?!

This is the problem with the winner takes all corporatist mindset. The winner(s) will end up effectively supporting everyone else. Maybe this is already happening.

More likely its:

- employees taking any job they can get

- employers taking on people part time so they can increase/decrease their hours worked easily

Not likely to lead to a very robust self-reinforcing recovery is it?

HOLA4411

Will you be changing your name to benefit dweller? :P

I can see many people becoming more and more reliant on benefits to pay the bills as the job situation worsens. I presume you'd also then qualify for free dental and prescriptions?

The economic benefit for the low paid to actually work are fast diminishing yet another unintended consequence of creating a high cost economy.

No, benefits will only pay the rent and CT, 'the bills' would still be paid from my small income. The chances of my wife losing her job are actually pretty slim as she's a health care assistant for the NHS. They've just re-organized at the local hospital (closed wards) and the result is.........zero job losses! But still we're prepared.

Why would we need 'free dental and free presciptions'? We never go to the doctor or dentist.

Your last paragragh is spot on of course.

HOLA4412

More likely its:

- employees taking any job they can get

- employers taking on people part time so they can increase/decrease their hours worked easily

Not likely to lead to a very robust self-reinforcing recovery is it?

I was trying to be uncharacteristically optimistic, that I'll admit.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I thought Universal Credit was supposed to 'make work pay'? Of course this involves paying P-T workers more...

Thats what I was alluding to...

However I suspect that the political and fiscal reality when the Tories get round to enacting the "universal credit" will mean that effectively it will be a lot less generous to the unemployed to fund some tax cuts and holes in the budget forecast caused by below forecast economic growth

The Tories spent the 80s sticking it to the poor and there is no reason to think they will have changed their spots

HOLA4415

Another aspect is stress that is rolling through the ranks, the company fires key workers due to contract bids lost, no more work from clients. The people left are stressed working flat out, told just be glad you have a job. Then try and drop workers hours, how long before you just give up? My Wife's job is escalating into a stressfest, Engineers buckling under pressure, mouthing off blaming staff for their failings. Staff get sick of it hand notice in, going through a complete change in career.

Found out today, company is looking to rehire, workload off the scale but now guess what? The workforce that was laid off no longer exists, the same workforce they assumed was unskilled turned out to be unofficially designing. for the Engineers! So now they are left with Graduates and Architect Technicians. The original workers are on the dole or working part time in another industry uninterested in returning to a fire fight.... whooops!

Have also seen this. Companies don't set their number of employees by amount of work to be done but to maximise their profits.

This means18 hour days and unsustainable workloads. Staff get doctor's notes for stress and illness and many resign.

Employer (who of course pays less than market rate and provides no pay rises to majority) then wails about the difficulty of attracting replacement staff.

HOLA4416

...for some PT work with part benefits is a better life style and more remunerative than a full time low paid job paying taxes and NI....also JS allowance claimants are up although 'there is less unemployment'...this could be due to people being moved from 'disability' to Job Seekers during the current reviews of many people who have not been re-assessed for years.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

£36!! A day? £36 !!! If such part-time workers are in the benefits trap with a marginal deduction rate in the region of 90% then they would need to earn £360 a day just to cover their travel to work costs.

A peak day travelcard costs £18.60 for Zones 1-9, less for fewer zones.

If you're part-time, i.e. so many days a week, it wouldn't be worth getting a weekly travelcard. If you worked, say five days a week, it might be.

But, but, but... Say you lived in Barking (fairly cheap place to rent, allegedly) which is in Zone 5. If you were offered a job working four hours a day on five days of the week, at minimum wage (e.g. cleaning), you'd be earning £118.60 a week, and having to pay £47.00 a week if you had to travel into central London. What would be the point?

Oh, and if you were single and had no dependents, you wouldn't be eligible for working tax credit on those hours and wages.

HOLA4419

The Tories spent the 80s sticking it to the poor and there is no reason to think they will have changed their spots

Correct

However the problem they have to face now is that due to low wages , high taxes and high essential cost's like fuel, food ,housing and travel many people who would have been judged average have now been dragged into being poor . The more the govenment takes from this average middle band the more poor they create who then turn to the state for benefits.

HOLA4420

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12

The number of employees and self-employed people working part-time because they could not find a full-time job increased by 80,000 on the quarter to reach 1.25 million, the highest figure since comparable records began in 1992.

Don't worry.. two thirds of financial directors don't think there will be a double dip.. so only a third are holding back on any major capital expenditure.

Can't see how that could possibly end badly.

Edited by libspero

HOLA4421
Another 80,000 Can't Get A Full Time Job

I`m not surprised, my personal research conducted the past 4 months has shown me what a load of a*******es British Employers are. I fear for the future of your children and grandchildren and are thankful my days in the employment and business markets are well and truly over. May many who sacrificed their lives in difficult times turn in their graves.

HOLA4422

I`m not surprised, my personal research conducted the past 4 months has shown me what a load of a*******es British Employers are. I fear for the future of your children and grandchildren and are thankful my days in the employment and business markets are well and truly over. May many who sacrificed their lives in difficult times turn in their graves.

I have six years 10 months and two weeks to go untill my days in employment are over counting every week. Most people i know are doing the same.

HOLA4423

''another 80,000 people who can't genuinely find full time work''

No, just another 80K that are choosing to large it up on benefits. (Daily Mail/Tory theory of unemployment, as per 80's recession and 90's recession)

Little to do with Technology/progress, more to do with employers making redundancies even when not necessary as they can then force the rest to work longer/harder, This is characteristic and is what exacerbates every recession. Exactly like the early 80's and early 90's recessions. Those in work are miserable and fearful for their jobs and those out of work become vilified for being unemployed.

HOLA4424

hi charlie nice to see you posting ( i was reading serpicos thread on classics earlier)

fromwhat i hear its pretty tough out there, work is drying up, many of my eastern european mates are moving out.

ive told them from 2000 to 2008 was not normal, what we have now is normal.

i feel its gonna be a long hard drag from here, i hope you all saved in the good times to get through ths s**t ones.

bob

Normal perhaps.. though personally I would say more like a hangover

chart2.gif

chart6.gif

Edited by libspero

HOLA4425

A peak day travelcard costs £18.60 for Zones 1-9, less for fewer zones.

If you're part-time, i.e. so many days a week, it wouldn't be worth getting a weekly travelcard. If you worked, say five days a week, it might be.

But, but, but... Say you lived in Barking (fairly cheap place to rent, allegedly) which is in Zone 5. If you were offered a job working four hours a day on five days of the week, at minimum wage (e.g. cleaning), you'd be earning £118.60 a week, and having to pay £47.00 a week if you had to travel into central London. What would be the point?

Oh, and if you were single and had no dependents, you wouldn't be eligible for working tax credit on those hours and wages.

Well you could cycle into central london I suppose.

You would be eligible for working tax credit, hence why so many people on going part time,as its largely based on what you earned the previous year. The employers of part time staff are effectively getting a subsidised labour force.

The amazing thing is that WTC is under subscribed apparently, largely because I suspect people don't believe they are eligible.