House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Free Stuff

If you are a person of reasonable means, is it fair to pick up free stuff that's actually useful from the likes of free cycle or where ever? When there are likely to be people in a far worse position missing out on the bounty.

Of course, it saves excess consumption and the person who gave it would have wanted it to be used.

But do you deserve the benefit of that?

If you are a person of reasonable means, is it fair to pick up free stuff that's actually useful from the likes of free cycle or where ever? When there are likely to be people in a far worse position missing out on the bounty.

If it is available for free to everybody, everybody is therefore free to make good use of it and benefit from it..

...so much good useful stuff is often thrown away, just take time to look in a skip one day...for example good wood should never be thrown away. ;)

Why should you be penailsed just because you are a miser?

I wondered who that pikey looking dirtbag was when I was dropping off some carpet down Sinderland Road last Sunday.

How dare you talk about my wife like that

I think your instinctive feeling that somebody else may need it more is probably correct. However, if you try to do the right thing by leaving these things on Freecycle they will probably just end up in the clutches of another HPCer who wears jeans he bought in the 1980s, drives a banger and has half a million in the bank.

Funny story, when I left for my Russian bike trip, a few weeks before I had a massive clear out of my stuff......

TBH I thought I would never return.

On my return a friend of mine had a lot of familiar looking stuff he'd gotten off ebay..

I think your instinctive feeling that somebody else may need it more is probably correct. However, if you try to do the right thing by leaving these things on Freecycle they will probably just end up in the clutches of another HPCer who wears jeans he bought in the 1980s, drives a banger and has half a million in the bank.

Exactly how I feel and I'm not daft enough to think that by abstaining from this "free" market I'm helping anyone in the least. But what's the answer?

Is it fair to take it then sell it in eBay?

But do you deserve the benefit of that?

Why not? Better than having it go to landfill. Some people won't have 2nd hand stuff, even if they're short of money. They think there's a stigma to it. Would rather buy new, maybe not as good quality, on the plastic.

I've known a few who turned noses right up at free baby equipment I was offering. As if the baby gives a toss.

Personally we're going to be scouring freecycle and charity shops soon - daughter is going to be kitting out a 2 bed from scratch.

There's some fantastic stuff among the tat in my local Princess Alice Hospice shop. Saw a lovely little sofa the other day, looked new, obviously good quality, about £150.

But you've got to be quick.

Is it fair to take it then sell it in eBay?

That's where a lot of it goes. Or boot sales. I've given a fair few things away on Freecycle and there are half a dozen people or so who have asked for every single thing. They'e stupid enough to offer up some cockerel and bull story about one of their relatives "really needing one of those" but still use the same email address every time.

Edit: changed **** to cockerel

Funny story, when I left for my Russian bike trip, a few weeks before I had a massive clear out of my stuff......

TBH I thought I would never return.

On my return a friend of mine had a lot of familiar looking stuff he'd gotten off ebay..

At work some try to palm off stuff (often above market value) on the intranet site.

Fleece your work colleagues ?

Of course its fair, most of the items on Freecycle and similar groups are not lifes essentials, in that our grandparents managed fine without them, and anyway, most towns now have subsidised reuse type projects where people in need can get essential furniture and appliances, with an eligibility test, such as having to be in receipt of benefits (Dorset Reclaim around here). Most people, including me who offer items on Freecycle and similar groups are just happy if the person who replies actually bothers to turn up and collect as arranged!.

I've known a few who turned noses right up at free baby equipment I was offering. As if the baby gives a toss.

For me there is an issue with second hand baby stuff.

Lets say I was selling an iPhone but in the description it said something along the lines of....

"Second hand iPhone, I have had this for 12 months. I have been sick on it about 10 times, dribbled on it most days and for the most part it has been stuck in my mouth. I did a little bit of a sh*t on it once but it got wipped off with a baby wipe when I was down the shops. Perfect condition no offers."

Of course its fair, most of the items on Freecycle and similar groups are not lifes essentials, in that our grandparents managed fine without them, and anyway, most towns now have subsidised reuse type projects where people in need can get essential furniture and appliances, with an eligibility test, such as having to be in receipt of benefits (Dorset Reclaim around here). Most people, including me who offer items on Freecycle and similar groups are just happy if the person who replies actually bothers to turn up and collect as arranged!.

I'd say it wasn't morally right to take something you didn't need if it was for example a large bag of food, but most of the stuff of freecycle and the like is just tat.

For example I'm not negatively effecting somebodies essential needs if I take a TV stand, I'd say if you were genuinely poor then you wouldn't be needing a TV stand in the first place.