House Price Crash Forum

Feck

SarahBell

HOLA441

am assuming the worst. My dad has had trouble swallowing and then had biospy of polyp in esophagus during endoscopsy and then ct scan yesterday, consultation today sending him to cheltenham for another scan and maybe more biopsy.

aggh.

Its all happened within a week or so and that to me says one thing only. He's 70. My mum has just retiired the day after they have mentioned the c word when they did the first biopsy.

I know it's wait and see but am a bit stresssed. excuse s[pelling.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Good luck to you all.

For what it's worth, a friend recently had a plum-sized lump in his throat. After a few consultations and a frightening wait he's finally been given the all clear, just a cyst. His father is 89 and had throat cancer about 15 years ago, he's still going strong.

HOLA447

Well it's cancer.. at the top of the stomach - thanks to the randomly scribbled "the nurse will mark on this diagram where your cancer is"...

No words on the paper so I don't know whether that means it's cancer of the stomach or of the oesphagus. My dad has to have fitness tests on Tuesday and then gets told on Thursday if he can have the op. Which is his best chance. The bloke didn't say anything when my dad asked what happened if he didn't get the op.

It hasn't spread at the moment.

My dad is worrying about the oldies he visits and how they'll cope if he's not there for a couple of weeks. (The time in hospital would be 2 weeks so recovery 6 weeks for driving I assume). My mum is worried he's going to refuse the op as he won't look at the folder of (admitedly useless) stuff they've given him.

We got caught in a 3 hour queue on the m5 yesterday coming home so have had the surreal experience of seeing a party happen on the motorway and nuns mooching about amidst the stopped cars.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

HOLA448

Well it's cancer.. at the top of the stomach - thanks to the randomly scribbled "the nurse will mark on this diagram where your cancer is"...

No words on the paper so I don't know whether that means it's cancer of the stomach or of the oesphagus. My dad has to have fitness tests on Tuesday and then gets told on Thursday if he can have the op. Which is his best chance. The bloke didn't say anything when my dad asked what happened if he didn't get the op.

It hasn't spread at the moment.

My dad is worrying about the oldies he visits and how they'll cope if he's not there for a couple of weeks. (The time in hospital would be 2 weeks so recovery 6 weeks for driving I assume). My mum is worried he's going to refuse the op as he won't look at the folder of (admitedly useless) stuff they've given him.

We got caught in a 3 hour queue on the m5 yesterday coming home so have had the surreal experience of seeing a party happen on the motorway and nuns mooching about amidst the stopped cars.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Very sorry to hear this Sarah. I wish you and your family all the best.

HOLA449

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Cancer seems like an epidemic. You've had experience of dealing with it already? I may be mixing you up with another poster.

Do go on. Would be interested to hear about it!

HOLA4410

Well it's cancer..

Very sorry to hear that. It's tricky to say the right things in these circumstances. So I'll just say good luck.

Apparently 4 out of 10 now get cancer, as opposed to the old 3 out of 10. When is real research going to begin looking at the causes of this increase? :ph34r:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Its reall hard seeing your parents get old and the fragility that comes with it, and a diagnosis of cancer is really stressful for all concerned. I know we only each other through the web, but we've both been around HPC for quite a while so I would give you a hug if I could.

HOLA4413

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Cancer seems like an epidemic. You've had experience of dealing with it already? I may be mixing you up with another poster.

Do go on. Would be interested to hear about it!

I've got a neighbour whose partner has had liver cancer that was particularly agressive and they f*cked about 6 weeks before diagnosing him - he's still with us and alive and kicking! She's been really lovely and given me a few wise words which make me feel better:

- they've found it before it's spread.

- they're going to operate quickly. He's in on the 27th assuming he passes the fitness tests.

- he walks regularly as a rambler - 9 mile hikes a couple of times a week - so I'm assuming this means he's pretty fit really for a 70 yr old.

- and for my parents to speak to Macmillan nurses as they can be really useful.

The crash - was a car upside down and looked burnt out - but they'd air ambulanced whoever it was after they cut them out so don't know why it looked so burnt.

It was supposed to be 6 miles after junction 4 exit - and we stopped by the first set of bend warning signs with the 50 limit on - so miles away from it.

There was a bizarre stream of blokes disappearing up the steps on the side of the motorway - some going for a pee I assume, but some lads came back with cans of beer.

Some squaddies came down from the front to tell us all that the queue was going to start moving. They had briefly been reversing the last people in the queue off at the previous exit (Traffic cops and cones included) - but this had stopped and started presumably as they decided whether to re-open the lanes in front.

By the time we got through we were nearly on an empty motorway.

There were some nice cars near us - a db9 and some posh audi thing...

There had been a nun in a car a few ahead of us. Seeing a nun walking about on the motorway was bizarre.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2011/07/17/driver-recovering-after-m5-crash-66331-29066829/

She's recovering apparently.

Shortly after we'd stopped I realised traffic on the otherside has also stopped - which was scary - didn't know if the crash had blocked both sides. But it was stopped so air ambulance could land.

HOLA4414

Apparently 4 out of 10 now get cancer, as opposed to the old 3 out of 10. When is real research going to begin looking at the causes of this increase? :ph34r:

We're living longer is the thing that normally gets reeled out.

My dad is on high blood pressure meds so perhaps if he wasn't then he'd have popped his cloggs of a heart attack already.

But maybe not.

His dad died in his late 70s I think mowing the lawn (A lot more common than you'd think) and my gran died from a broken hip in her 80s.

Alcohol is probably the cause in my dad's case, well alcohol, pickles, smoked foods.

HOLA4415
Guest eight

His dad died in his late 70s I think mowing the lawn (A lot more common than you'd think) and my gran died from a broken hip in her 80s.

The racing driver Vittorio Brambilla (a.k.a. "The Monza Gorilla") survived a long and interesting career, at a very dangerous time in the sport's history, only to die of a heart attack while mowing the lawn, age 63.

HOLA4416

Some great advances with cancer treatments these days. I wish you and your family well.

Lost my Dad to Pancreatic Cancer. He was only 58.

If I ever get diagnosed I can only hope I am half as brave as him. From diagnosis he lived six months and although absloutely devastating, I was so pleased I had the time to tell him how much I loved him. He was practical in sorting out his affairs before he went. I was already very close to my Dad but this managed to bring us even closer.

A part of me wished that he went quickly with a heart attack or something similar but the time we had together was very powerful and I still cherish it today ( 10 years later)

I'm thankful for that.

Best wishes Sarah

• 3 months later...
HOLA4417

Well I'll be offline for a few days (Or not if he'll let me use his computer)...

He's not doing very well. Not eating. On morphine. Very weak. Sleeping a lot.

So I'm going down for a couple of days to keep my mum company as much as anything.

They might put him in a hospice for a few days to try and build him up...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Cancer seems like an epidemic.

A bit like unemployment I suppose, although I for one would never suggest that the victims of cancer are the architects of their own misfortune, or that they could cure themselves of it if only they changed their attitude, or that they were unworthy of support from taxpayers' money in their hour of need.

Hope your Dad pulls through Sarah.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Best of luck........!

As for the cause... despite all these vaccines we have etc we seem to be getting worse off! Sounds a bit like conspiracy theories, perhaps they are. Fluoride is still in the water and surely that doesn't help - Europe doesn't do this any more.

HOLA4425

Very sorry to hear that. It's tricky to say the right things in these circumstances. So I'll just say good luck.

There's a few things..

People are living longer. People are failing to die of infections or disease - to some extent these may have carried off people who had undiagnosed cancer. A fair few people are diagnosed with cancers of the breast, thyroid and prostrate which are very indolent - i.e. you'd have to live to 150 for them to be a problem, but we pick them up by screening and it's VERY hard to tell the difference between indolent and aggressive cancers, you don't want to get it wrong.

And the decline in smoking has yet to fully work through, although lung cancer rates are already declining.

FWIW, my friend's dad was in exactly the same position, had the op and is now fine.

Archived