House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workhou

Is It Possible To Become A 'self-Employed Worker?'

Is it possible to start your own employment agency just so you can find work and cut out the parasite agency? I've been unemployed for 2 weeks now and I'm sick of being messed around and lied to by these slavers.

So, what is to stop me creating my own agency dealing with all the admin etc myself then going to work for the £20 an hour they charge a company for my work?

Is it possible to start your own employment agency just so you can find work and cut out the parasite agency? I've been unemployed for 2 weeks now and I'm sick of being messed around and lied to by these slavers.

So, what is to stop me creating my own agency dealing with all the admin etc myself then going to work for the £20 an hour they charge a company for my work?

Isn't this just sub-contracting? :huh::blink:

Your approach sounds like digging a hole to put the ladder in so you can clean the ground floor windows on your £450,000 2 bed semi.

Companies use preferred employment agencies so you'll only be making it doubly difficult to get an income going again. When I worked in finance many years ago we employed someone on a temporary contract who turned out to be the boss of the very agency our company used so it does happen.

Absolutely nothing. You will probably need to pay for your own public and professional insurance though. One of the reasons I use an agency is for insurance purposes as in Australia it is much cheaper to go this way (2 to 3% of earnings) if the amount of work available is uncertain. Having said that, I would never use these agencies again when contracting across borders as their systems often just can't cope with anything "different." With one of my current clients they stuffed everyone around so much (and cost me 4x what an annual public and professional indemnity insurance would have cost due to exchange rate issues) that my client put me on their insurance policy.

Having said that, some larger organisations don't like hiring individual contractors and do all their hiring through agencies.

yes, you would be setting yourself up as a contractor. Big in the IT world, IMHO the problem would be finding the contracts. Most contractors still use agencies to get there next contract

It's a trade-off.

Go it alone, and you have to sell yourself. If you're good at that, then fine (but then you're also well-equipped for a lot of high-paying regular jobs). If not, then be prepared for long periods of worklessness.