House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikthe20

How Much To Charge For Building A Web Site?

I know there are a fair few web developers on here so thought I'd ask for help. I've been asked by a couple of local small companies if I'd be interested in building their web sites for them. They've asked because they've seen several I've done for my own one-man business and a local charity and said they liked them, even though I haven't actually gone to them selling web site services.

So, what's the going rate for building a straightforward small business web site? Do you guys charge any annual or monthly maintenance/support? TIA.

So, what's the going rate for building a straightforward small business web site?

It depends entirely on what it will do. If you are talking about a 3-page HTML only job, with a basic menu, basic design and contact us page etc you could be looking at £200.

At the other end of the scale you have highly polished sites with quote engines, shopping baskets etc, I have seen agencies try to charge £80K to large corporate clients for sites with only average complexity, with added on mobile functionality etc.

The fact is these things are getting easier and easier to produce, with libraries like JQuery/UI/Mobile meaning you can get a lot done with little code. Phone apps used to be a license to print money, but technology like Phonegap means anyone with a bit of HTML/CSS experience can put together a single app that targets multiple devices.

To answer your question:

1. Decide what you hourly rate is

2. Guess how long it will take you to create the site.

3. Multiply 1 by 2.

There you are. Maintenance is charged at your standard rate.

It depends entirely on what it will do. If you are talking about a 3-page HTML only job, with a basic menu, basic design and contact us page etc you could be looking at £200.

At the other end of the scale you have highly polished sites with quote engines, shopping baskets etc, I have seen agencies try to charge £80K to large corporate clients for sites with only average complexity, with added on mobile functionality etc.

The fact is these things are getting easier and easier to produce, with libraries like JQuery/UI/Mobile meaning you can get a lot done with little code. Phone apps used to be a license to print money, but technology like Phonegap means anyone with a bit of HTML/CSS experience can put together a single app that targets multiple devices.

To answer your question:

1. Decide what you hourly rate is

2. Guess how long it will take you to create the site.

3. Multiply 1 by 2.

There you are. Maintenance is charged at your standard rate.

Thanks for your input Tahoma. Well, I was thinking 2 man-weeks to complete the site and £2k charge (ie. £200 per day). Sound OK? TIA.

Go for it they can only say no, but if they really want you, put your prices up and then meet in the middle. :)

Might well do that. Cheers.

Well, I was thinking 2 man-weeks to complete the site and £2k charge (ie. £200 per day). Sound OK? TIA.

Again, it depends on what the site is to do... if we are talking a simple brochure site without much scripting required on the server or client £2K could be a little steep IMHO. You can get a lot done in 2 weeks, how many pages are you talking about?

What a coincidence, just finished a website for a local builder - about six pages of HTML/CSS plus JQuery and Nivo Slider (for a fancy slide-show). Charged him £200.

Again, it depends on what the site is to do... if we are talking a simple brochure site without much scripting required on the server or client £2K could be a little steep IMHO. You can get a lot done in 2 weeks, how many pages are you talking about?

Probably 20-30 pages, and I'd also write all the copy, graphic design, etc as they've got nothing at all at the moment, not even printed brochures I could pull the copy off.

What a coincidence, just finished a website for a local builder - about six pages of HTML/CSS plus JQuery and Nivo Slider (for a fancy slide-show). Charged him £200.

Thanks for that. I'd guess that's a day's work, possibly a bit more to get it spot on?

read the architect / webdesigner thing before ever offering to do websites for people.

Did some for crafters before the first dom com boom and was hell.

I know there are a fair few web developers on here so thought I'd ask for help. I've been asked by a couple of local small companies if I'd be interested in building their web sites for them. They've asked because they've seen several I've done for my own one-man business and a local charity and said they liked them, even though I haven't actually gone to them selling web site services.

So, what's the going rate for building a straightforward small business web site? Do you guys charge any annual or monthly maintenance/support? TIA.

One aspect is: how important is the work to you?

To try to come up with a definition of what we might be talking about: a 5 page static website with no content management and a contact us page - very simple.

Do they have a brand/logo, or does that need designing too?

I wouldn't do it for less than £2k simply because it isn't worth my time. Before that sounds very grand - as if I earn a fortune - consider:

Every single project has a number of overheads (getting to know the client, comms, project management) regardless of how big the piece is. Obviously the specification for Amazon.com would be bigger than the one we're talking about but every project has common basic components and documents.

If you're wondering what the documents might be: estimate, purchase order, change request, sign off are your friends. Do not go any further until you know what all those four are and why you need them. Sitepoint.com is a good resource for starters.

If you are starting out and don't rely on the income then you can charge "whatever you like" and might enjoy the process, indeed you might begin to build a portfolio and decide to go down that route entirely.

That's why in this industry there aren't any "going rates" as such because the level of skill and approach differ so wildly.

Thanks for that. I'd guess that's a day's work, possibly a bit more to get it spot on?

It depends what you know already, you have to use JQuery for anything decent simply because of all the plugins available - but if you aren`t familiar with it then you`ll take a few days to get up to speed.