House Price Crash Forum
guitarman001

Yet More Hpc Wisdom Realised In The Media

So today we've heard about Southern Cross shutting down due to high rents (from what I understand).

And then this morning I heard this story about how basically... kids are growing up more unruly than ever, hitting parents and teachers etc. Nothing anybody in the real world hasn't noticed. But the reporter said that due to the need for two families to work to pay ever increasing bills (read: sky high mortgages) there has been this breakdown of proper parenting. So basically, as foretold on HPC... two people going to work is bad news as it means prices are then pushed up to those levels so singles find it hard to afford anything. The woman isn't at home running the household and looking after the kids (I REALLY don't mean to sound sexist there, you get my point, so don't get @rsey) and so we see family breakdown.

Hurrah for HPC!

So today we've heard about Southern Cross shutting down due to high rents (from what I understand).

And then this morning I heard this story about how basically... kids are growing up more unruly than ever, hitting parents and teachers etc. Nothing anybody in the real world hasn't noticed. But the reporter said that due to the need for two families to work to pay ever increasing bills (read: sky high mortgages) there has been this breakdown of proper parenting. So basically, as foretold on HPC... two people going to work is bad news as it means prices are then pushed up to those levels so singles find it hard to afford anything. The woman or man isn't at home running the household and looking after the kids (I REALLY don't mean to sound sexist there, you get my point, so don't get @rsey) and so we see family breakdown.

Hurrah for HPC!

Corrected for you!

Raised this at work on Friday to some sheeple..........eventually the penny dropped.

It has certainly caused the breakdown of family life in this country. The banks et al painted it as a sign of equality and progress that women were more well numbered in the work place. Just pure propaganda.

Depends tbh, my parents worked pretty much 80-90 hours a week both of them did. My birth was a mere inconvenience to my mother who finished her shift before going to the hospital and was right back at the shop the very next day.

I turned out OK (if you exclude the BPD, BDD and general bipolar self destructive risk taking behaviors)

Edited by ken_ichikawa

. The woman isn't at home running the household and looking after the kids (I REALLY don't mean to sound sexist there, you get my point, so don't get @rsey) and so we see family breakdown.

Years of mind control from the BBC/Media and you fell you have to apologise for stating a fact.

10's of thousands of years of evolution flung out the window because some infertile wishy washy liberal bean flicking barren old bag decides they'd like a job and everyone else should want one too, now look where we are. It's time normality was resumed.

Even from a couple point of view with no kids, it is fairly frighting how damaging 2 people working 9-5 (or other variants) can be. Since our job and cash flow has been disastrously all over the place, we are actually happier for it. Both of us have experienced unemployment, while the other brings in the cash, or a spot of part time. It is just the hand the job market has dealt, One person thinks about the weekend maximising the time you have together, good meal cooked, packed lunch every day. If they had a bad day your more prepared to calm them down getting them to relax. It brings back the appreciation, even out of work you'll make their lives better all round.

But the seeds have been sown, so many people have massive mortgages, this lifestyle is not an option for a good 18 years. Sure both working flat out brings the max amount of money in, But money is simply selling your lifespan for goods or tax without knowing how long you have left. It's probably a folly to keep going at that pace, yet it seems to be the norm.

Even from a couple point of view with no kids, it is fairly frighting how damaging 2 people working 9-5 (or other variants) can be. Since our job and cash flow has been disastrously all over the place, we are actually happier for it. Both of us have experienced unemployment, while the other brings in the cash, or a spot of part time. It is just the hand the job market has dealt, One person thinks about the weekend maximising the time you have together, good meal cooked, packed lunch every day. If they had a bad day your more prepared to calm them down getting them to relax. It brings back the appreciation, even out of work you'll make their lives better all round.

But the seeds have been sown, so many people have massive mortgages, this lifestyle is not an option for a good 18 years. Sure both working flat out brings the max amount of money in, But money is simply selling your lifespan for goods or tax without knowing how long you have left. It's probably a folly to keep going at that pace, yet it seems to be the norm.

Bang on. Dual full time is crazy, I should know as we are doing it ourselves at the moment. When the unemployed/part time partner takes up full time work, it creates more work for the other person as there is nobody with the time or energy to take care of the household.

I think the optimal solution would be two adults each working an average of three days a week. In a sane world, that should be enough wage labour to live a simple lifestyle.

Good post.

I have been thinking about the same thing recently. It seems to me that a partial solution might be to adjust taxation to favour a single income per household, whereas now it favours dual incomes.

Edited by Quicken

The problem with the UK is that over the last 13 years of labour govt, the people who have been incentivised to have children are those least educated and least well equipped to deal with parenthood. Their children are poorly behaved and under-educated as a result. In some places, parents have even been banned from wearing their nightclothes on the school drop.

Incentivise the right people to have children and irrespective of whether both work or not, those children will do well.

The problem with the UK is that over the last 13 years of labour govt, the people who have been incentivised to have children are those least educated and least well equipped to deal with parenthood. Their children are poorly behaved and under-educated as a result. In some places, parents have even been banned from wearing their nightclothes on the school drop.

Incentivise the right people to have children and irrespective of whether both work or not, those children will do well.

And who selects who these right people are?

And who selects who these right people are?

No-one. Just stop incentivising the growing subset of morons with a labour entitlement mind-set to do it through housing and free money.

No-one. Just stop incentivising the growing subset of morons with a labour entitlement mind-set to do it through housing and free money.

...if you can't beat them join them. ;)

And "the free market" is Coco's Nightclub at 2am................

Not surprising that the outcome of the exercise is mixed at best. :blink:

Only an option when the state [taxpayers that is] are going to subsidise the outcome. The market is rigged to produce more statist dependents much like Catholicism rigs the market to produce more congregation.

When I was a boy most middle-class British families consisted of four children, now the norm is one.

Only an option when the state [taxpayers that is] are going to subsidise the outcome. The market is rigged to produce more statist dependents much like Catholicism rigs the market to produce more congregation.

When I was a boy most middle-class British families consisted of four children, now the norm is one.

Please define middle class.

When you were a boy, was the middle class a smaller grouping than it is now?

Everyone I know that isn't on benefits (i.e. working) seems to consider themselves middle class.

So is the middle class that was there when you were a boy, the same middle class you are talking about now?

To generate gender equality something had to be sacrificed and that was "duality of income" positions. That is some professions generated a higher income because they needed a higher level of qualification and or restricted the numbers in the profession.

It is still possible for one partner to support the family if they don't want to subscribe to the consumer society. However most families chose to compete in the rat race, they want the holidays, flat screen, two cars lifestyle.

Our society teaches self above family/community, what can I take rather than what can I give hence the rot. It's only as our lives begin to end that we start to see the waste of this attitude.

To generate gender equality something had to be sacrificed and that was "duality of income" positions. That is some professions generated a higher income because they needed a higher level of qualification and or restricted the numbers in the profession.

It is still possible for one partner to support the family if they don't want to subscribe to the consumer society. However most families chose to compete in the rat race, they want the holidays, flat screen, two cars lifestyle.

Our society teaches self above family/community, what can I take rather than what can I give hence the rot. It's only as our lives begin to end that we start to see the waste of this attitude.

Good points.....material objects, money along with job status success have slowly over recent times taken priority over the family and community....what greater success is there than raising a successful, capable, independent, honest, loving, self sufficient, healthy family.......it used not to cost so much, but one thing is for sure nobody can have it all, however much they like to think they can. ;)

Just told someone the essence of the report, and they said a lack of religious upbringing in the UK is to blame for the break-down of society. I responded that a person doesn't need to believe in religion to be moral and well-behaved, that didn't seem to go down too well...

(ducking and running now)

... two people going to work is bad news as it means prices are then pushed up to those levels so singles find it hard to afford anything. The woman isn't at home running the household and looking after the kids

Silence blasphemer! How dare you question the sacred tenets of feminism! Don't you know that being a wage slave AND an ineffective parent is called 'having it all' and is what women want!?!

Just told someone the essence of the report, and they said a lack of religious upbringing in the UK is to blame for the break-down of society. I responded that a person doesn't need to believe in religion to be moral and well-behaved, that didn't seem to go down too well...

(ducking and running now)

...of course you don't have to believe in a religion, you only have to believe in humanity and learn to trust your fellow man....something that is becoming harder to do because more and more seem to be only out for what they can get and have their own self interests at heart.....but if you look there are some real gems out there, it is just a matter of finding them. ;)

Edited by winkie