House Price Crash Forum
ken_ichikawa

University Donations?

I went and picked up my post today, namely because I am lazy in changing addresses for minor things. Amazon/Play change immediately. But other things which I barely think about get changed once in a life time maybe.

Anyway i was quite surprised to find in my stacks of post the usual charity sucker list post of pen/sewing kit gift things which guilt trip you into donating (suckers anybody who asks me to donate invariably does not get any donations from me).

Anyway I was quite surprised when I got an Alumini thing for the two universities I've been to. One was an overt begging letter which stated since my career prospects where enhanced so much by going there and I was obviously making a shed load of money (I'm not I don't have a pot to pish in) I should donate £20 a month (with gift aid on top) to 'give back' what I took out.

The second was a bit more tactful, in that it was an invite to a fund raising dinner at £80 a head.... which also assumed my career had been massively enhanced by their schooling....

Sign of the times that universities are doomed?

Are these top Uni's that have sent out the begging letters?

Yes top universities send out begging letters.

Top universities assume their graduates achieve more - and so are in a position to donate more.

Yes top universities send out begging letters.

Top universities assume their graduates achieve more - and so are in a position to donate more.

Obviously my Uni know I'm doing crap and have no money. Never had one of these letters.

Perhaps I should write to all the VC's and tell them to look for money on the floor?

Cambridge has entire departments dedicated to "alumni relations" which are basically just ways of badgering graduates to donate.

I think this is just UK universities catching up with practices in the states, where the Ivy League rely heavily on their alumini for income

in 2005 at Harvard, only 21% of total university income came from student tuition, whereas 48% came from donors.

http://bpp.wharton.upenn.edu/waldfogj/900/papers0607%5CGottfriedJohnson91406.pdf

UK academia has been slow on this in the past. I think theres a market in universities offering alumini dinners and network opportunities for past graduates, at £100+ a pop, of course.

There's also money to be made from the small percentage that hit the big time (financially) and want to "put back"/show off through having a building or a hall named after them.

Edited by Diet Cola Addict

Obviously my Uni know I'm doing crap and have no money. Never had one of these letters.

Perhaps I should write to all the VC's and tell them to look for money on the floor?

Perhaps Ken's prolific posting on HPC has raised his profile and they now consider him worth fleecing?

Now thet he is routinely rubbing shoulders with Metal Magnates (Calling Gen Congreve) and Opinion Formers (anyone seen RB lately?) he must be doing well........... :P

I think this is just UK universities catching up with practices in the states, where the Ivy League rely heavily on their alumini for income

http://bpp.wharton.upenn.edu/waldfogj/900/papers0607%5CGottfriedJohnson91406.pdf

UK academia has been slow on this in the past. I think theres a market in universities offering alumini dinners and network opportunities for past graduates, at £100+ a pop, of course.

There's also money to be made from the small percentage that hit the big time (financially) and want to "put back"/show off through having a building or a hall named after them.

my old college works very hard at this. They get their most charming and delightful undergraduates to ring up and pretend to be interested in what you've done since being there. I generally take the opportunity to rant about something and then feel guilty and end up giving a donation.

So anyway, I said I would happily give a donation. 'How about £200 a month?' she suggested optimistically.

I went and picked up my post today, namely because I am lazy in changing addresses for minor things. Amazon/Play change immediately. But other things which I barely think about get changed once in a life time maybe.

Anyway i was quite surprised to find in my stacks of post the usual charity sucker list post of pen/sewing kit gift things which guilt trip you into donating (suckers anybody who asks me to donate invariably does not get any donations from me).

Anyway I was quite surprised when I got an Alumini thing for the two universities I've been to. One was an overt begging letter which stated since my career prospects where enhanced so much by going there and I was obviously making a shed load of money (I'm not I don't have a pot to pish in) I should donate £20 a month (with gift aid on top) to 'give back' what I took out.

The second was a bit more tactful, in that it was an invite to a fund raising dinner at £80 a head.... which also assumed my career had been massively enhanced by their schooling....

Come on Ken, they've been reading this and know full well that not only to you have a pot to piss in, but it's a gold one! ;)

I'm not sure if it is a sign of the times.

I started uni in 2003, and back then they had a huge telephone fund raising campaign where they called former students and asked them for a donation. So they have been doing this sort of thing for a while

As Diet Cola Addict points out, most American private universities and a significant proportion of the state ones derive up to half their income from 'endowments' (managed investments from philanthropic giving). Much of this money is used to provide scholarships for low income but bright students, hence the 'book price' tuition fees being so high. That is basically the problem with the higher education system in the US: if you're very rich you can afford the fees, if you're very poor your education will be vastly subsidised, but if you're in the middle you're buggered (eligible for full fees but not for any of the scholarships).

With the effective removal of all taxpayers' money for humanities and social sciences teaching (and most of it for research in this area), it is inevitable that British universities are going to attempt to do the same thing. The problem is that there is much less of a tradition of philanthropic giving among the British middle class than among their US equivalents, they pay much higher tax to start with and the tax breaks for people doing the giving (as distinct from those receiving) are far less generous. I've studied at three universities and worked at a fourth before the one I worked at currently, and regularly receive begging letters from the alumni associations all of them.

All you ex uni peeps who claim to not be doing so well obviously didn't have

the advantage of £50,000 worth of debts which would have helped you get all those top

jobs new graduates look forward to having. It's all different these days.

I bunked off most of my course. They didn't seem to want to know where I was then. But they all badger me to hell now. I don't think there would actually be one tutor or lecturer there who could even remember me. I think it's a cheek.

If you bunked off most of your course, it's hardly surprising if most of your tutors don't remember you.

University is not the same thing as school, and university teachers are not in loco parentis. You go to school because you have to. No-one is forced to go to university, and it is therefore assumed that you go because you want to. I do not chase up students who fail to attend lectures and seminars: I have too much other work to do to make 30-40 phone calls after a lecture attended by 250 or so. That would be half a day's work straight away. I do, however, operate one cast iron rule, which is that I will only provide individual tutorial support on a given topic if the student requesting it has attended the lecture and seminar at which that topic is covered (or was an 'approved absence', e.g. due to illness). If someone fails to show up to the lecture on Bismarck's role in the Franco-Prussian War, for example, and then sends me an email with a load of questions relating to an essay she's writing about it, she will get a cut-and-pasted response back stating that by failing to attend the lecture, she has in effect stated that she does not need my help to deal with this topic and is claiming to be able to do so by herself.

A couple of these emails later and attendance usually starts to pick up...

I get them every six months for the past 13 years-whilst I was still doing my PhD at said intitution (Aberdeen) and they wouldn't get the steam off my urine. Mainly because in my 4th year I was owe £20 that they hadn't bothered to tell me about and refused to give me my grant cheque until I'd paid up. "Give me the check and I'll have money to pay you", "no pay us first then you can have money" :blink: , so swore they'd never get a penny out of me even if I was the next Warren Buffet. The cheek is, I was back there the other week and they've built the most grotesque library imaginable for £90,000,000 yet are laying academic staff like there was no money in the pot. Let me see can I put 2 and 2 together and get 4.

Edited by zebbedee

Also, as increasing numbers of people in this country are "graduates" it makes more financial sense to keep begging. Like someone has said, if only a small number give then it's probably worthwhile, and there is a possibility that one or two will give big-time. A little bit like chuggers, or those annoying Sky door-to-door salesmen.

Sounds perfectly normal. Cambridge call me towards the end of each tax year, and they target me (middle-aged man) by having a young lady call :)

The 'merkin unis make a whole lot more money that way: their alumni are, on average, a whole lot more generous than an HPC crowd.

Nothing new here, they all send out begging letters all the time. Oxford and Cambridge do the best from old Alumini as they are generally better off and quite a few of them leave their enntire estate to the college they attended.