House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pajd

Does Your Local Paper Ramp Up The Market?

My local, Derry Journal, has always had a ramping article or two but fridays took the biscuit. I couldn't believe my eyes when reading fridays edition.

On the property pages (well one page actually as nothing is selling around here) they had the headline "North West housing market on the up, up, up"

On the page were a few houses for sale by various EA but included was an article which talked about the lastest RICS survey of how sales were improving.

To conclude the paper stated that prices in the area had risen by £40,000 since last summer! :lol: 40k???? What a bold statement and it wasn't even backed up by any proof!

I did another check today on propertypal and the last house sold by any EA in this city was June 14th.

Its ridiculous the things papers will print in realtion to the property market. I have emailed the editor to ask him to give me the contact details of the estate agent reporter who wrote the article as i'd like to ask him/her how they came to the conclusion that prices here had risen 40k in a year.

I wont hold my breath for a reply though

Edited by pajd

My local, Derry Journal, has always had a ramping article or two but fridays took the biscuit. I couldn't believe my eyes when reading fridays edition.

On the property pages (well one page actually as nothing is selling around here) they had the headline "North West housing market on the up, up, up"

On the page were a few houses for sale by various EA but included was an article which talked about the lastest RICS survey of how sales were improving.

To conclude the paper stated that prices in the area had risen by £40,000 since last summer! :lol: 40k???? What a bold statement and it wasn't even backed up by any proof!

I did another check today on propertypal and the last house sold by any EA in this city was June 14th.

Its ridiculous the things papers will print in realtion to the property market. I have emailed the editor to ask him to give me the contact details of the estate agent reporter who wrote the article as i'd like to ask him/her how they came to the conclusion that prices here had risen 40k in a year.

Dont most local property papers spin some kind of sh!t, I know my local one does.

No one in the media see the angle that first time buyers will be able to afford to buy if prices ccome down.

Looking at the sold stats on right move

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-my-area.html

is an interesting read. A postcode I was watching state that only 2 properties were sold in May which is the lowest number on record(for that area). I think the highest I found was 41 in May 2002.

Worth a look.

The UU house price reports show the average price of houses in the L'derry/Strabane area in Q2 2010 at £119,185 and at £159,069 in Q1 2011. That gives you a £40,000 difference if you pick 2 very selective price points to suit a ramping agenda . But see the pdf for a more fuller analysis of what's actually been going in the area over the last few years. Looks as though 1 or 2 detached sales were the main reason for the big rise into Q4 2010 from low point in Q2 2010 - with so few you can probably identify the houses involved.

Edited by lolacarrascal

The UU house price reports show the average price of houses in the L'derry/Strabane area in Q2 2010 at £119,185 and at £159,069 in Q1 2011. That gives you a £40,000 difference if you pick 2 very selective price points to suit a ramping agenda . But see the pdf for a more fuller analysis of what's actually been going in the area over the last few years. Looks as though 1 or 2 detached sales were the main reason for the big rise into Q4 2010 from low point in Q2 2010 - with so few you can probably identify the houses involved.

Thsts my point. No proof to back up his/her claims and no wonder if they based it on such a samll number of sales. Reading the papers article you would think we are back to 2006 again.