House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

For Sale: Uninhabited Welsh Island - Down From £1.25M To Just £95,000

Owning one’s very own island hideaway has long been seen as the preserve of the super-rich. But, as the latest in a string of Welsh examples goes on the market for a modest £95,000, it’s a move that has now been placed within the grasp of ordinary folk – as Rachael Misstear finds out

Sully Island, just off the southern tip of Wales, might not boast the climate of Richard Branson’s idyllic Caribbean bolt-hole of Necker.

But then neither is it valued at anywhere near the same level as the tycoon’s Virgin Islands retreat, which boasts an estimated worth of £23m.

In fact, this ruggedly scenic slice of Welsh coastal life could be yours for a price more often associated with a typical terraced house – £95,000.

It went on the market in 2009 for the first time in nearly 30 years after the current owner decided to move on.

Yet it might not be for everyone. The opportunity to build your dream home with outstanding views over the Severn estuary is not an option as no building is allowed on the 14.5 acre rock.

Besides, with the island accessible via a 400m sand and stone causeway for just two hours either side of low tide and surrounded by the second highest tidal range in the world, it may not be the ideal location for a new home.

Estate agent Chris Hyde of Cooke & Arkwright, who just last year had the island on the market at an eye-watering £1.25m, said the building constraints wouldn’t put the right buyer off.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/07/11/for-sale-uninhabited-welsh-island-down-from-1-25m-to-just-95-000-91466-29028461/#ixzz1RmitzwNS

All HPCers should chip in to buy this place, relocate there then declare independence :)

I'm in! Can I design the flag? Will have to feature a tinfoil hat and a bar of gold.

Sully Island, just off the southern tip of Wales, might not boast the climate of Richard Branson's idyllic Caribbean bolt-hole of Necker. But then neither is it valued at anywhere near the same level as the tycoon's Virgin Islands retreat, which boasts an estimated worth of £23m

I read Branson's Biography years ago. As I recall, he had no intention of paying the £10 million price tag they were asking for the virgin islands.

He only went out there, because it was a free helicopter ride. Upon his return he put in a cheeky offer of £250k, which to his disbelief they accepted.

If they are asking for 95k, wait a while and offer them 10k. B)

Edited by Dan1

price more often associated with a typical hyperinflated terraced house – £95,000.

fixed that there.

I used to walk across to Sully island when I was a lad. Used to scare the crap out of me worrying about the tide coming back in and leaving me stranded.

And, to make it house price related - aren't houses expensive ?

Who on earth would buy it if you can't build on it?

You could put a few sheep on it. You would have to be a pretty determined poacher to bother stealing them too! ;)

Who on earth would buy it if you can't build on it?

Obviously someone with more imagination than yourself.

article-2013442-0CF6F39000000578-981_634x473.jpg

wheres the palm trees?

Shame there is not more land around - as that island could easily be made into a class golf hole.

Yet it might not be for everyone. The opportunity to build your dream home with outstanding views over the Severn estuary is not an option as no building is allowed on the 14.5 acre rock.

Here we go again FFS :rolleyes:

All HPCers should chip in to buy this place, relocate there then declare independence :)

I give you all a few weeks before a slight disagreement over something breaks out & you murder each other. :D

I found the selling point regarding being able to look at a island in the sea and say thats mine, approach stinks of desperation. But of course it is Truth is though, if you are NOT ALLOWED to build on it, then its not really yours is it ?

I would challenge that it is part of the Pembrokeshire Coast through. It could be argued that Calais is part of the Sufolk coast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder when they measured the 14.5 acre, when the tide was in or out, or is it usable land :unsure:

My grandparents had a caravan there. I spent many happy summers over at Sully island. The tide there is brutal you can get cut off within moments.

Edit to add.

One summer I remember breaking open a rock on the mainland, just off the causeway and finding a perfect ammonite fossil.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi