House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Spoke To An E.a. Yesterday

This is anecdotal, but it's true....

Went in to see a couple of estate agents on Sunday in Northampton yesterday and one of them was very candid with their conversation, they made the following comments:

1) Price as falling.

2) The reason people aren't buying are because prices are falling !!!!

3) The are selling 1/2 properties a week.

4) Vendors are setting the prices

5) Any offer would be considered and pushed to the vendor

6) London is skewing the market big time and must collapse soon

7) Vendors are living in cloud cuckoo land.

I had a heart warming feeling after our conversation.

This is anecdotal, but it's true....

Went in to see a couple of estate agents on Sunday in Northampton yesterday and one of them was very candid with their conversation, they made the following comments:

1) Price as falling.

2) The reason people aren't buying are because prices are falling !!!!

3) The are selling 1/2 properties a week.

4) Vendors are setting the prices

5) Any offer would be considered and pushed to the vendor

6) London is skewing the market big time and must collapse soon

7) Vendors are living in cloud cuckoo land.

I had a heart warming feeling after our conversation.

And a heart warning feeling from the anecdotal, thanks. :)

You should definitely try to buy through this agent when the time comes. He should be rewarded for his sense.

I'm finding it hard to keep the faith these days, it has to be soon surely?

The process started in 2007. It is just slower and more bumpy than many had hoped.

The outcome is inevitable. The exact path is unknown. Keep the faith : you will be rewarded.

I'm finding it hard to keep the faith these days, it has to be soon surely?

What do you eman by that? Is it that you are in London? Prices are falling in London #LandRegistry

They are down 50% in NI. What does it mean it has to be soon?

What do you eman by that? Is it that you are in London? Prices are falling in London #LandRegistry

They are down 50% in NI. What does it mean it has to be soon?

Nope, nowhere near London.

We need nominal falls. Real (inflationesque) falls mean 5hit to me. No point in real falls when you're tied to the same devaluing currency.

People are not joining the dots, hence why there's still malignant price delusion no matter where you are in the country. It's the figure on the board they're all interested in, not the mechanics behind or betraying it.

When the 'average' house is again in some sensible relation to local 'average' wage, then I'll start to be happy.

Went to look at a newbuild. Colchester, Wimpys

around £200K asking.

yuo get a narrow townhouse....short hall opening to small L shaped kitchen, lounge diner big enough for a small table for two and in the show house, a single and double lounge chair and telly. No sideboard, bookcase, nothing else. tiny.

first floor two fair size bedrooms, one single one small double, one with a single cupboard.

second floor (roof), master with ensuite.

you get a garage and carport ( would be a driveway in a normal description).

You get horrendous parking outside as there are some houses already occupied, many without carport, car space or garage.

The double glazing failed to reduce traffic noise appreciably from the main Road passing by.

I queried the layout, and the agent said, "well if living space is important to you we have this one".......Im sorry, but a three bed house, "designed" for a family, must have living space.....

financial.....no homebuy scheme, but gifted deposit and shared equity was a possibility.

around £200K asking.

yuo get a narrow townhouse....short hall opening to small L shaped kitchen, lounge diner big enough for a small table for two and in the show house, a single and double lounge chair and telly. No sideboard, bookcase, nothing else. tiny.

first floor two fair size bedrooms, one single one small double, one with a single cupboard.

You get horrendous parking outside as there are some houses already occupied, many without carport, car space or garage.

The double glazing failed to reduce traffic noise appreciably from the main Road passing by.

I queried the layout, and the agent said, "well if living space is important to you we have this one".......Im sorry, but a three bed house, "designed" for a family, must have living space.....

financial.....no homebuy scheme, but gifted deposit and shared equity was a possibility.

Snap. The only difference is location, as bizzarely the price remains the same. This is strange given that in East Yorks, good secure high paying jobs are few and far between. Where as Colchester has some decent commutable networks to the South East/London?!

around £200K asking.

So how many of them did you buy? :P

Edited by cheeznbreed

Thanks for posting.

Not to take anything away from your post, but this is new news then. When I was in N'ton some months ago, a sharp-suited mini driving agent told me prices had hit the bottom and the only way was up. Subsequently my offer was rejected. They did sell it to someone else within a month it seems (although not checked LR yet)

I was away the weekend and was very pleased to see the sold sign for the house across the road which was on for 565k for a very normal looking three bed semi which needs totally redecorating had been changed back to a 'for sale' sign.

Maybe some one had spotted these houses were selling for 350k in 2006 and the asking price is pathetic.

The process started in 2007. It is just slower and more bumpy than many had hoped.

The outcome is inevitable. The exact path is unknown. Keep the faith : you will be rewarded.

IMO we have to wait for a PIGS default or three for the crash to really kick in. In the mean time affordability is being eroded by retail inflation (without wage inflation) and poor job prospects.

I was away the weekend and was very pleased to see the sold sign for the house across the road which was on for 565k for a very normal looking three bed semi which needs totally redecorating had been changed back to a 'for sale' sign.

Maybe some one had spotted these houses were selling for 350k in 2006 and the asking price is pathetic.

yep

a lot of people do not know about OUR PROPERTY and other price sites for property, or even property bee, they are more interested in whats going on in the NEWS of the WORLD rather that save themselfs a packet.

I don't know how these mass build companies can do this. We're currently building our own house and there are quite tight building regs regarding sound and heat insulation both internally and externally, and also a minimum size for the garage. I can't understand how these guys pump out such cheap looking houses and still meet the standards.

Thanks for posting.

Not to take anything away from your post, but this is new news then. When I was in N'ton some months ago, a sharp-suited mini driving agent told me prices had hit the bottom and the only way was up. Subsequently my offer was rejected. They did sell it to someone else within a month it seems (although not checked LR yet)

I haven't seen one of ORB's mini's for sometime. I wonder if they still have them?

Northampton EA at Kingsley told me their office was getting desperate for sales, but asking prices are still being dictated by overoptimistic sellers.

I agree.

3,4 and even 5 bed new builds do not have enough living space.

They are designed for people who;

• Spend too much time at work

• Do not cook and are happy to sacrifice cooking facilities for laundry

• Do not have any hobbies or interests

• Do not have hardly any possessions

Also agree with shared equity - you get social rent + you are only exposed to the crash 25-50% Yippee!

Plus the housing benefit is handy when times are hard.