House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Southampton Council 'plans At Least 1,000 Sackings'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14101843

A quarter of the 4,300-strong Southampton City Council workforce could be sacked under spending plans.

The claim by unions comes as port health officers prepare to go out on strike later.

Council bosses are in a dispute with staff over pay and conditions that has already seen refuse collectors strike.

Previously, authority leader Royston Smith said he was "disappointed" action was being taken as attempts to resolve the situation were ongoing.

Now however, Unite union bosses have described as "devastating" a new internal council report that outlines plans to set aside £5m annually, between 2012-14, for redundancies.

The union claims the report indicates plans for redundancies will increase year-on-year, with 361 posts going next year, rising to 725 by 2013 to a total of 1,224 in 2014.

Although as the headline says they are planning.

First council bosses have to identify which is the most politically sensitive area first and then cut from there. Front line services only bumfluff diversity coordinators can rest easy.

Southampton has been let down by many leaders who take from the trough on "major development" projects which are then not delivered as the leaders have taken all the cash and spent it on "fact finding" or similar.

It is plagued by many overpaid officers in common sense departments such as sustainability .

The lower end staff will suffer and the lodge protects their own in this unitary authority .

It is know to be a rotten council but the rotten ones have spent the last few years justifying their jobs to overpaid rotten managers to enable the workers such as bin men to suffer.

This council will cut frontline staff only to re-employ more strategic roles.......

This authority needs a complete takeover. The BBC would be wise to do a little surface scratching as it would show some interesting things .

article-2012187-0CE732B000000578-302_634x420.jpg

looking good so far. But i heard the council boss on the news saying no-one would be sacked, only some forced non-renewal of employment contracts, so not sacked at all.

We are going to have SOOOOOOOO much striking before we get the deficit sorted, need to reduce our spending by 15 billion a month, its quite a lot.

Good. Less leeches sucking the tax payer dry.

You're joking aren't you?!?

Do you seriously expect a single >£100k a year job to be axed?!

How many did the council employ in 1997? Increase that proportionate to the change in the population of the area since then, and there you go.

I bet it would be less than they'll end up with.

The city is a stinking hole at the moment but the recycling centres are open and fully manned. Nothing to stop people taking their own refuse to the tip.

But no, the lazy f*ckers would rather just let it pile up in the streets.

Lazy scum b*stards.

The city is a stinking hole at the moment but the recycling centres are open and fully manned. Nothing to stop people taking their own refuse to the tip.

Lazy scum b*stards.

I agree, I'd certainly be taking my rubish to the tip if needed be. I wouldn't be taking anyone else's though.

Lazy scum b*stards.

Oooh, good point. Pay for their own fuel and use their own time to receive a service they've already paid for.

Lazy scum b*stards.

You wouldn't happen to live in Portsmouth or thereabouts would you?

The piles of rubbish serve to make Southampton only marginally less attractive than normal as it is typically strewn with fast food packaging and cola bottles and other evidence of the typical diet of its inhabitants.

You wouldn't happen to live in Portsmouth or thereabouts would you?

The piles of rubbish serve to make Southampton only marginally less attractive than normal as it is typically strewn with fast food packaging and cola bottles and other evidence of the typical diet of its inhabitants.

I live in Southampton, Hill Lane, usually a relatively nice if not quite affluent area which backs onto an area of parkland called the common with a fair number of rats.

If I take a wander up to Sainsburys in Shirley, or down into the centre of town I have to walk past the crap left by people who display the

'I've paid for a service, therefore piling up rubbish is nothing to do with me' attitude and are prepare to live in filth of their own creation.

I do a tip run once a week for myself and the immediate neighbours and one of the other guys does the same so we are keeping on top of the problem.

And being from the North, I don't really go in for the skate/scab argument.

How many did the council employ in 1997? Increase that proportionate to the change in the population of the area since then, and there you go.

I bet it would be less than they'll end up with.

+1, and it's not as if there's been any noticeable improvement of services since then anyway.