House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Tour De France Thread

This years event is like a demolition derby. Two big crashes today, also a French TV camera car, collided with racers, sending one into a barbed wire fence. Had to be patched up on the move. Quite a few went out today with broken this and that.

And of course Bradders, has left the race with a broken collar bone.

Bit of a "vague news" post I know as I can't be *rsed to Google for the detail, but anyone else following on ITV4 or t'internet?

Todays stage made the British GP look like an old ladies day out to the Womens Institute :lol:

Vino - broken femur, fractured pelvis and broken elbow ouch :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWT8yeHGA0U

Not quite as bad as commuting to work though!

I'll be cycling more warily after watching that! But JS is right - it's a bad year so far in the TdeF for crashes and not long after the death of Weylandt in the Giro d'Italia. I hope things calm down a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_cyclists_who_died_during_a_race#2010s

We're in France at the moment and the Tour de France came through 'our' town last week.

A few hundred people lined the roadside, but we were able to find an empty spot, on a corner, with a good view in both directions.

What amazed me was the sheer size of it, the main road through the town was closed to other traffic and hundreds of cars, vans and police motorcycles preceded the bikes. Woooooosh, they came and went, followed by hundreds more cars and six news helicopters.

It says it all when a cyclist in the Tour de France is knocked off his bike by a car whilst cycling at high speed and sent flying into a barbed wire fence, gets up and completes the stage and then needs 30 stitches. Meanwhile we have football superstars who can barely stay on their feet in the penalty area!

It says it all when a cyclist in the Tour de France is knocked off his bike by a car whilst cycling at high speed and sent flying into a barbed wire fence, gets up and completes the stage and then needs 30 stitches. Meanwhile we have football superstars who can barely stay on their feet in the penalty area!

You really need guts to do it, especially the speeds on the downhill stretches, especially when its wet. Not a lot of braking ability on a bike, and still quite easy to lock up.

There was another big crash on a bend too, with three or so cyclist's going into a ditch, one having to be helped out. Bear in mind any of those injuries could potentially end a career.

Also the guy that went into the fence, was patched up and bandaged on the move!

What do the cyclists eat to keep going?

I saw some yesterday unwrapping some kind of nutrition bar while on the move. What brand I don't know. Some seem to carry them in the back pockets of their cycling tunics.

There are always crashes on the tour, as the stakes are so high (plus all the extra 'attention' from press cars and the like) . What seems different this year is the numbers and severity of crashes in just a few days on flat stages. It's ruined the chances of most of the favourites, with some like Wiggo and Vinokourov having to drop out totally. Not that I care about the likes of Vino dropping out, although I do sympathize over the pain he must be in. But it's turned the race into a lottery, which is a real shame.

Most of the top teams are probably spending today wondering who their new team leader should be.

I don't see the big deal. They are all adults and nobody forces them to do it. They know the risks and are happy to take them. Fair dos. If the team leads are getting pushier and pushier - thus causing more crashs to occur ? The riders can grow some balls and tell them they will hold back on this narrow bit of road until it opens up. They may lose a few seconds. Then again they may not end up down a ditch with a broken leg. Up to them.

It is certainly a sport where you have to be prepared to push it a little. No doubt about that. I am actually surprised there are not more crashes considering the speed and formations they ride in.

This is exactly what I said to my wife afterwards.

A cyclist wouldn't even notice a broken metatarsal. I say the Dutch guy interviewed afterwards as his leg was in tatters thanks to the barbed wire. He casually said, 'it's ok, maybe 30 stitches or so' walked off and said he was focused on the next stage, tomorrow.

Already ahd a similar chat re. this. . I dont think footballers are any more pussy per se. Just they are in situations where they can get away with lying on the ground for a wee rest - pretending to be properly injured when they clearly are not.

With the Tour these blokes have trained for a year for this ultimate goal. They know if they are lying about feeling sorry for themselves for half an hour - their entire tour is wrecked. So they get up, if they are able, and get on with it. They do not have a choice.

If every time this happened the race stopped - and hung about until you said you were ok to go on - do you think the riders would be half as tough as they appear ? No danger. They would take the nice wee rest and get banadged up properly like any other person would.

Still I agree - lots of footballers act like complete pussies. No argument there. However they only do because they can. And you can't really blame them. Why would you not take a nice wee rest if you knew you could and woudl get away with it ?