House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Litter Getting Worse ?

I tend to walk and cycle most places and have noticed an increase in litter in my area. There does seem to be a correlation between items that are unhealthy such McDonalds packaging and Coke bottles (I've also noticed that people who buy scratch cards appear to be unable to place the losing card in their pocket) and general sugar based products. I accept that it's unlikely that someone would be chomping on an organic lettuce on the way to work but I think you might see my point. This type of litter is less of a concern to me personally than glass bottles - I walk my dog locally and he once cut his paw on something (not sure) and the toe had to be removed (£££££££). I also once saw a guy bottled in the face with a bottle neck stump and that isn't something you ever forget. So now when we set out I take bags for poo and a large plastic for the bottles I find discarded on our daily walk,these are normally beer bottles,dumped on the way home from town I suspect and more often lately vodka bottles,big ones. I used to feel self conscious picking them up,but now I can't not remove them for the street,even though some people think I'm crazy. I can't help thinking that perhaps people should be more respectful of their environment - ho-hum. I've also noticed that foxes and cats I guess,are very good at pointing out those who don't recycle,all of their waste in the black sacks,lazy buggers.

I tend to walk and cycle most places and have noticed an increase in litter in my area. There does seem to be a correlation between items that are unhealthy such McDonalds packaging and Coke bottles (I've also noticed that people who buy scratch cards appear to be unable to place the losing card in their pocket) and general sugar based products. I accept that it's unlikely that someone would be chomping on an organic lettuce on the way to work but I think you might see my point. This type of litter is less of a concern to me personally than glass bottles - I walk my dog locally and he once cut his paw on something (not sure) and the toe had to be removed (£££££££). I also once saw a guy bottled in the face with a bottle neck stump and that isn't something you ever forget. So now when we set out I take bags for poo and a large plastic for the bottles I find discarded on our daily walk,these are normally beer bottles,dumped on the way home from town I suspect and more often lately vodka bottles,big ones. I used to feel self conscious picking them up,but now I can't not remove them for the street,even though some people think I'm crazy. I can't help thinking that perhaps people should be more respectful of their environment - ho-hum. I've also noticed that foxes and cats I guess,are very good at pointing out those who don't recycle,all of their waste in the black sacks,lazy buggers.

I know what you mean about feeling self-conscious - I'm always picking up litter from around the bus stops I use regularly, and do get some funny looks, but I don't care any more. When there's a bin right there I can't for the life of me understand why the lazy, filthy, antisocial sods don't use it. :angry:

Good on you for clearing up. I suppose this is an example of the "Big Society" in operation.

One of our local rivers the River Colne seems to suffer from plastic bags, get caught on rocks and tree branches. I'd like to help clean it up, although shallow and with a rocky bottom is quite fast flowing though.

I'm really starting to think that supermarket bags should be banned.

Only today i picked up some discarded McDonalds packaging from outside my house, I take a small black bag and clear up after my own dog, i also wrote to my local Councillor yesterday about cars being parked on the grass when there is ample unrestricted parking on the road, it'll be interesting to see how that is dealt with, I have to say the Council have already responded to me after the Councillor obviously contacted them, now i'll await some positive action.

I like walking and cycling outdoors. Litter and dog mess on bridle paths are my real bugbears! Grrrr! Too many useless people on the planet.

Why litter?

Good on you for clearing up. I suppose this is an example of the "Big Society" in operation.

One of our local rivers the River Colne seems to suffer from plastic bags, get caught on rocks and tree branches. I'd like to help clean it up, although shallow and with a rocky bottom is quite fast flowing though.

I'm really starting to think that supermarket bags should be banned.

I,ve thought supermarket plastic bags should be banned for years,strong paper bags or reusable bags the way to go.