House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Injin

Parishes To Rule On Parking And Licensing Hours In Cameron’S Big Society

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8627485/Parishes-to-rule-on-parking-and-licensing-hours-in-Camerons-big-society.html

Local communities will also be able to operate libraries, museums and even deal with low-level anti-social behaviour under “power to the people” plans to be announced on Monday.

The Sunday Telegraph understands that the driving force behind the coalition’s flagship public services white paper will be new moves towards “localism” and away from top-down “Whitehall knows best” approach.

Senior government courses say this will mean devolving powers as far down as possible - to small neighbourhood bodies such as parish councils and their equivalents.

Currently parish and town councils deal only with such minor issues as allotments, public toilets, pathways, village halls and litter.

However, the white paper will propose a big extension of their powers which would effectively see small groups of local residents take over responsibilities which are now held by larger bodies such as town halls and county councils.

They could rule on licensing hours for pubs and clubs, bring in new traffic restrictions in towns and villages, including speed limits, and run parks and leisure facilities.

A coalition source said: “We want people to be given the green light to take over local services to ensure they are run by the local community, for the local community.

“We need to end once and for all this way of making decisions from the top down and assuming that Whitehall or county councils know what best suits individual neighbourhoods. Parish councils can do all that.”

Ministers say the proposals will build on plans already announced to let neighbourhoods take charge of planning - with residents given the chance to approve or reject neighbourhood plans in local referendums.

The white paper will also commit ministers to investigating ways of making it easier for groups of people to band together to run local services.

It will propose allowing individuals to be given cash budgets by the government to buy services for themselves rather than being dictated to by local authorities in several key areas including treatment for the elderly and those with long-term health conditions, ad the parents of special-needs children.

David Cameron hopes the reforms will be seen as part of his “big society” plans to change the way lives are lived in Britain by the time of the next election in 2015.

The white paper has been the subject of fierce wrangling for months with claims that George Osborne, the Chancellor, widely reported to have serious doubts about it.

There were also reports that its main architect, Steve Hilton, Mr Cameron’s policy guru, was ready to quit 10 Downing Street because his plans were being frustrated.

A deal was done last month and a source said last night: “It’s a win for Steve - he got pretty much everything he wanted.”

Tessa Jowell, the shadow cabinet office minister, said the proposals must meet three tests.

“Will these reforms make services more accountable and responsive to the needs of services users? Will there be clear accountability for the way that public money is spent and members of the public are protected? Will their proposals strengthen the bonds of community and family life?” she asked.

Your unaccountable, unelected, meddlesome do gooder to be the lunatic who lives next door?

Faaan - tastic.

The Sunday Telegraph understands that the driving force behind the coalition’s flagship public services white paper will be new moves towards “localism” and away from top-down “Whitehall knows best” approach.

Have the eu given permission for all that stuff. After all UK people were constantly told all the bureaucratic stuff came from there, not from "Whitehall".

One way or another it all sounds like another load of lies.

And isn't it just great that "Steve" "got pretty much everything he wanted.”

Maybe Steve and what he wants will get a mention in the next election manifesto.

Great, the 'Big Society' as envisaged by the Stasi. Not your finest hour Dave.

Localism would involve electing mayors, judges, police chiefs, school district controllers and more, like they do in the States. Funny how the British implementation is characteristically petty and pointless.

Your unaccountable, unelected, meddlesome do gooder to be the lunatic who lives next door?

Faaan - tastic.

No you. The slightly insane unelected meddlesome do gooder ...

It's time to get involved and take the power away from the greys.

The problem is the power itself, not who holds it.

+1

Let's give the NIMBYs their chance and see how their dream works out for them - traffic-free villages with no parking, no pubs open late, no new houses, ASBOs for raising your voice, reading the Sun or playing music too loud.

I'm sure the local economy and business will thrive.

The problem is the power itself, not who holds it.

+1

And no doubt these characters will be accountable to the Civil service anyway. We have had a century odd of insane totalitarianism in the west and the east, culminating in the benign dictatorship we now have. The one Fukayama told us was the end of history.And now the elites want to kid on they are putting us in charge.

I'm not completely mad, but I do believe we are living through the collapse of a civilisation, and this type of thing is so pathetic and meaningless, I'll ignore it.

I'm not completely mad, but I do believe we are living through the collapse of a civilisation, and this type of thing is so pathetic and meaningless, I'll ignore it.

+1

More deckchair rearranging while the ship continues to go down.

have to agree,when you look at who's willing to give up their tiem to try and control the environment around them,you'll find that the sensible peoplewill be outlevered by the ones with an irrational love of speed humps and an irrational hatred of pubs and people having a good time.there's already some loon up north trying to ban smoking in public spaces.

they tend not to expect final salary pensions like the current lot of do-gooders do

and are more accountable on account that you can knock on their door

I am involved in a community effort to run the local library when the council closes it later this year, and I would like to make a couple of points about Dave's "Big Society":

1. In the organization with which I am involved it is apparent that for each professional you replace you need several volunteers, simply because each job needs to be divided up to make it easier for a volunteer to assimilate, and a volunteer cannot be expected to work full time. If more and more services move to the voluntary sector where are all the volunteers going to come from ?

2. Although on balance I think it is a good thing to run services voluntarily if councils will no longer provide them, my real concern is that councils are simply going to cut services where they know voluntary organisations are likely to take up the slack. This leaves them free to continue to play with climate change, diversity, etc., and all the other. trendy, non-productive functions.

Our council tax will doubtless continue to rise whilst volunteers provide services for free, in other words we will simply be paying heavily for the privilege of being ordered around by bureaucrats.

You're right there. I'm a parish council member and I was elected more than 3 years ago.

The idea at that time was to get a large number of candidates and by doing force an election which would mean troublesome members would not be re-elected. Indeed, troublesome members did lose but so did the Chair Person...also I got elected much to everyone's surprise! Certainly if more power gets into the hands of PCs then more people will join and they will no longer be dominated by the greys.

I would have thought that HPC members would want to join as there are big changes coming regarding planning?

Let's give the NIMBYs their chance and see how their dream works out for them - traffic-free villages with no parking, no pubs open late, no new houses, ASBOs for raising your voice, reading the Sun or playing music too loud.

I'm sure the local economy and business will thrive.

Take out your sillier caricature, and they do just that in Switzerland.

Take out your sillier caricature, and they do just that in Switzerland.

My examples were frivolous, but I'm perfectly serious, let's give it a go and see what happens.