House Price Crash Forum

Street Lights Are Switched Off In Half Of Britain As Town Halls Try To Cut Energy Bills

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012755/Street-lights-switched-HALF-Britain.html

At least half the county councils across the UK are plunging tens of thousands of streets into darkness to save money.

Despite fears of increased accidents and crime, blackouts are being imposed after midnight in residential and rural areas by at least half the county councils across the UK.

Cash-strapped town halls are either switching off street lamps or fitting dimmer switches as they try to cut energy bills and meet climate change targets.

Anyone actually witnessing this?

Certainly 50% of motorway light could be turned off.

HOLA442

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012755/Street-lights-switched-HALF-Britain.html

Anyone actually witnessing this?

Certainly 50% of motorway light could be turned off.

Around here they'll be replacing the lights with brighter white lights and removing some unneeded lights from residential areas. Lights will be dimmed by 20% from 8;00 pm and by 40% from 10pm. All this to happen over the next 5 years.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Around here they'll be replacing the lights with brighter white lights and removing some unneeded lights from residential areas. Lights will be dimmed by 20% from 8;00 pm and by 40% from 10pm. All this to happen over the next 5 years.

Round where i live Sussex, all lamposts have been replaced and new brighter more energy efficient lighting installed.

They switch the lights off at 12pm. I'm not complaining as it reduces light pollution.

Supposedly every street light in the county is being replaced as part of some PFI project with Hampshire. So the energy bills will be cut but no doubt the debt burden on the council has been increased somewhat :rolleyes:

HOLA447

I've often wondered about street lights being on during the night. Flying into britain during the night, vast swathes of towns are lit up and it seems really pointless to me. I've often thought that if you want to reduce emissions, there is a great big saving to be had by turning the street lights off. I did realise though that the reason why they didn't turn them off is because when the crime rate goes up, it'll be blamed on the lack of light.

HOLA448

I've often wondered about street lights being on during the night. Flying into britain during the night, vast swathes of towns are lit up and it seems really pointless to me. I've often thought that if you want to reduce emissions, there is a great big saving to be had by turning the street lights off. I did realise though that the reason why they didn't turn them off is because when the crime rate goes up, it'll be blamed on the lack of light.

So why not make the street lights triggered by movement after midnight, like a lot of security lights are?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Round where i live Sussex, all lamposts have been replaced and new brighter more energy efficient lighting installed.

They switch the lights off at 12pm. I'm not complaining as it reduces light pollution.

Supposedly every street light in the county is being replaced as part of some PFI project with Hampshire. So the energy bills will be cut but no doubt the debt burden on the council has been increased somewhat :rolleyes:

I love it when there is a power cut, as you can see the stars clearly.

I don't know what the stats are for crime (I suppose we will find out!), but I'm sure we will get by with a few less lights on at night.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Not sure if it's just Lambeth being sh*t, but round here they appear to be adopting the approach of bringing this in by stealth... ie just not replacing any blown bulbs or fixing any lights that are faulty...

Yep, dunno which bit of Lambeth you are in, but noticed that on the Balham side on the way home the other night. A few lights on Cavendish Rd were out.

To be honest, I just assumed it was the usual story of Lambeth being a bit rubbish.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

They are meant to be turning them off where I live, wish they would hurry up and get on with it.

Have a street light right outside the front and it is really annoying if you want to leave the curtains open to get some air in.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Here in Colchester we have a roundabout with a World record number of lights on it.

They could turn them all off after rush hours...they dont....they are all on 24/7.

Same for pedestrian crossings....where nighttime traffic is so light, these could be turned off too.

The Authority are still planting new traffic lights it seems on a weekly basis.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I don't understand why LED's weren't introduced ages ago.

Because the existing sodium lamps are considerably more energy efficient than LEDs. They do take about 10 minutes to warm up to full brightness, that makes them useless for home use, but not a problem for street lamps.

HOLA4422

So why not make the street lights triggered by movement after midnight, like a lot of security lights are?

Sodium lights take about 10 minutes to switch on properly. Security lights tend to be halogen, which is much less energy efficient. If the street lights were on any more than about a 10th of the time, it would be cheaper to have sodium lights on permanently.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

what we need is another Sun.

although the black hole at Cern may be the wrong location for it.

arent you about to get a new Weekend Sun?

Problem solved it seems by the man whos life work the uk is trying to destroy, talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

HOLA4425

I can't see how just turning them off will save the Council money, as I understand it the electricity street lights use isn't metered, the Council pays a charge based on how many there are.

It is unmetered, but the usage charge is based on an estimate of usage. This is calculated based on an estimate of annual hours of use (there are tables and computer programs that will estimate street-light running hours based upon latitude and local climatic factors), as well as time of use.

The electricity supplier will be able to recalculate the bills based on the new type of usage.