House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stay Beautiful

Gold Stash

Jolly good for the finders, but let's hope they aren't so strapped for cash that they sell now.

The answer for anyone thinking this is an issue, is to enclose a separate letter with the Will (the Will is a PUBLIC document after probate has been granted) and seal it carefully marked "Personal and Private" for the attention of the lucky recipient. In this, you tell them about all your dark (or glorious) secrets and leave them a treasure map.

In most cases like this one in the story, though, I have the sad suspicion that the people burying their hoard may have been on the wrong end of a guillotine or similar. However, I would rather some nice French couple got a windfall rather than some b@st@rd government...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/family-fights-government-over-rare-double-eagle-gold-151853030.html

What possessed them to take ALL the coins to a FEDERAL agency, instead of just one? Or to a coin dealer, for that matter... Oh, well, there's no accounting for stupidity.

Hiding gold/coins in this way was typical in France during that period. The sort of thing a character in a Balzac novel would do (perhaps Mr. Grandet himself).

Hiding gold/coins in this way was typical in France during that period. The sort of thing a character in a Balzac novel would do (perhaps Mr. Grandet himself).

I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure the French have been doing that ever since the next-door country spoke anything resembling German. There must be an awful lot of old barns with cylinders in them marked "RAF" stuffed full of lovingly-maintained Bren guns. A few golden Philharmonics wouldn't take up much room.

It was common for the French to stash gold coins in their kitchen floors. I recall reading about a couple in the UK who were renovating their cottage and found 99 sovereigns under the kitchen floor.