House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dpg50000

Viewed A House Today

Went to view a house for our son today. Long story short, it was priced at £85K, which is similar to other properties in the area, but needed easily £15K of work. It's been on the market and empty for over a year and been "sold" twice, both of which have fallen through.

I discussed this with the EA who accompanied us on the viewing, and she said "The thing is, she's not flexible on her price. £83.5K is her bottom line". I thanked the EA for her time and moved on.

Just an anecdotal bit of evidence - should probably go in that other post on here where there is raging disagreement over whether it is greedy vendors or greedy EA's who set asking prices.

Went to view a house for our son today. Long story short, it was priced at £85K, which is similar to other properties in the area, but needed easily £15K of work. It's been on the market and empty for over a year and been "sold" twice, both of which have fallen through.

I discussed this with the EA who accompanied us on the viewing, and she said "The thing is, she's not flexible on her price. £83.5K is her bottom line". I thanked the EA for her time and moved on.

Just an anecdotal bit of evidence - should probably go in that other post on here where there is raging disagreement over whether it is greedy vendors or greedy EA's who set asking prices.

Yes, she might not care if she sells or not. Interest rates are so low people can just sit on property and not sell it, even leave it empty or rent it out. Fact is though if she won't move on price and you won't offer the asking price you won't buy the house and maybe she doesn't mind and maybe you don't either.

Yes, she might not care if she sells or not. Interest rates are so low people can just sit on property and not sell it, even leave it empty or rent it out. Fact is though if she won't move on price and you won't offer the asking price you won't buy the house and maybe she doesn't mind and maybe you don't either.

Yep, this is so very true. She's obviously not bothered and neither are we at that price. So another house lies unused and still the press bang on about housing shortages.

The way things are going, some of these houses will become part of the deceased's estate and will be passed down to relatives who will drop the price to liquidate :rolleyes:.

When was the property purchased and for how much? If she is older and and bought some time ago then her 'bottom line' will be based on the estate agents valuation. She's been told how much it's worth and mentally spent the money, she won't accept any less as she will be making a phycological loss. If she can't get what it's "worth" it doesn't matter, she won't just won't sell. If the EAs valuation was 20% less then her bottom line would also be 20% less.

Edited by Pent Up

Yep, this is so very true. She's obviously not bothered and neither are we at that price. So another house lies unused and still the press bang on about housing shortages.

Council tax is still payable on empty houses. May be the government should do more to make holding on to an empty house less desirable perhaps the standing charge on all utility bills could be added to the council tax.

Council tax - do authorities vary on leeway for ot paying it?

You get sixt month exemption in Oldham I think ...

Is it worth chasing up to see if they have used their exemption up and what local polic is?

Perhaps upping council tax on empty fr sale properties might be fun.

You did right moving on, amount of properties for sale has raisen 18 percent in the last 2 months in my area, some have to sell so prices will have to fall.

The way things are going, some of these houses will become part of the deceased's estate and will be passed down to relatives who will drop the price to liquidate :rolleyes:.

...or more likely one or two will want to drop the price while at least one wont want 'to give it away' and they'll end up rolling around on the Solicitors office floor.

Council tax - do authorities vary on leeway for ot paying it?

You get sixt month exemption in Oldham I think ...

Is it worth chasing up to see if they have used their exemption up and what local polic is?

Perhaps upping council tax on empty fr sale properties might be fun.

what about a change to squatters right where the squatter can take over the free hold if they remain undetected for 48 hours. having to check if the house is empty every couple of days may make some one sell.

There is no point having more houses built if there are hundreds of empty ones. In the end boarded up houses brings the whole neighborhood down.

what about a change to squatters right where the squatter can take over the free hold if they remain undetected for 48 hours. having to check if the house is empty every couple of days may make some one sell.

There is no point having more houses built if there are hundreds of empty ones. In the end boarded up houses brings the whole neighborhood down.

Ffs, cancel my holiday!

Ffs, cancel my holiday!

congratulations on your 1,000 post

I was thinking of houses that had been empty for over a year. I just try to keep my posts short.

I rented until I sold my last house. I just kept paying the council tax while it was on the market but when I told the council it had sold and had been empty for six months they sent me a nice refund cheque. that was milton keynes.

congratulations on your 1,000 post

I was thinking of houses that had been empty for over a year. I just try to keep my posts short.

Thanks, I never noticed I was into four figures!

Your 48hrs recommendation however, is still unworkable. The holiday scenario is still relevent, also hospital stays, family bereavements, away on business. The list can go on for pages! The only way that these properties can be forced onto the market is by biased taxation, not legalised theft.

I could have swore I seen a program not that long ago about councils taking possesion of empty/abandoned properties after a certain length of time. Must have a google!

Edit: Came across this -

http://www.sefton.gov.uk/pdf/epd_emptyhomesstrategy.pdf

It seems Sefton council can take action "in extreme cases where owners are non co-operative, properties will be subject to a variety of enforcement actions which could result in the properties being available for purchase by preferred partners or sold on the open market". Dunno if this has been picked up by other councils?

Edited by AThirdWay

Delusion and greed can work both ways.