House Price Crash Forum

Does any body know if these have any downside?

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/SelfBuild/HomesPortfolio/2Storey/Yew.asp

massive house, cheaper than a studio flat.

I'm thinking this might be the way forward until the housing Market corrects to reasonable levels

I was going to say "damp climate" but actually there are some very old timber frame houses about. Looks good, let me know how it goes :D

I'm thinking this might be the way forward until the housing Market corrects to reasonable levels

most homes, including some blocks of flats, built in Scotland are timber framed.

the price will not include the land, legal/planning fees, connecting services, labour costs etc. you would need to be sure exactly what was included, eg groundworks, roof tiles.

some kits available are just the wood frame, and you need to get your own brickie and bricks to construct the outer of the building.

Edited by eejit

most homes, including some blocks of flats, built in Scotland are timber framed.

the price will not include the land, legal/planning fees, connecting services, labour costs etc. you would need to be sure exactly what was included, eg groundworks, roof tiles.

some kits available are just the wood frame, and you need to get your own brickie and bricks to construct the outer of the building.

:huh:

Its ALL about the LAND price which increased by 300% in a decade.

Our Government, tell us, YES! We agree, Banks should never have been allowed to increase credit, which is the only reason that Land increased BY ASTRONOMICAL AMOUNTS.

Yet State owned Lloyd's, retain vast tracks of commercial and residential LAND BANKS which they cannot sell.

Which the people who do not own property are being forced to pay for.

There are MANY MANY ways the government could make houses affordable once again.

They could divide Lloyd's landbanks into plots, relax planning, sell those plots to First Time Buyers for a 60% reduction off the present criminally overinflated land value, but not allow FTB's to resell their plot for another ten years.

By which time houses will become affordable once again, as a proportion of income. As The government will gradually have deflated the bubble

Of Course they will not do that.

Instead, they expect you and I, and millions of others, whom have already been forced to waste tens upon tens of thousands of pounds in rent, to work for yet another ten years, for NOTHING. NO CAPITAL.

DEBT SLAVES BECAUSE OF COMPLETELY CORRUPT POLITICIANS AND BANKERS.

By not taxing Real Estate, or 'Wealth', the Government are forcing the whole tax burden onto Industry and Labour.

We are headed back to the middle ages, where bankers, and landlords ruled.

The UK is not a democracy. It really isnt.

And it is not going too far to suggest attacking the people in charge of this corrupt system.

I do not want to work my entire life as a slave. For nothing.

THE TRUTH IS, THAT THERE IS SIMPLY NO POINT IN WORKING ANY LONGER.

Edited by Dan1

Its ALL about the LAND price which increased by 300% in a decade.

Our Government, tell us, YES! We agree, Banks should never have been allowed to increase credit, which is the only reason that Land increased BY ASTRONOMICAL AMOUNTS.

Yet State owned Lloyd's, retain vast tracks of commercial and residential LAND BANKS which they cannot sell.

Which the people who do not own property are being forced to pay for.

There are MANY MANY ways the government could make houses affordable once again.

They could divide Lloyd's landbanks into plots, relax planning, sell those plots to First Time Buyers for a 60% reduction off the present criminally overinflated land value, but not allow FTB's to resell their plot for another ten years.

By which time houses will become affordable once again, as a proportion of income. As The government will gradually have deflated the bubble

Of Course they will not do that.

Instead, they expect you and I, and millions of others, whom have already been forced to waste tens upon tens of thousands of pounds in rent, to work for yet another ten years, for NOTHING. NO CAPITAL.

DEBT SLAVES BECAUSE OF COMPLETELY CORRUPT POLITICIANS AND BANKERS.

By not taxing Real Estate, or 'Wealth', the Government are forcing the whole tax burden onto Industry and Labour.

We are headed back to the middle ages, where bankers, and landlords ruled.

The UK is not a democracy. It really isnt.

And it is not going too far to suggest attacking the people in charge of this corrupt system.

I do not want to work my entire life as a slave. For nothing.

There was another thread recently about self build in Shropshire recently which revolved around the idea of making planning restrictions not so onerous, buying a plot and building on it but you must live in the area or have lived in the area but you could only sell on the house at 60% of market value.

If that rolled out across the country that would be fantastic

Probably uses lead paint.I heard someone in China say in newbuild flats they leave the windows and doors open for 3 months before moving in so that the toxic smells can dissipate somewhat.Some things , like health , are more important than money.

There is absolutely nothing intrisically wrong with timber-framed buildings.

Where I was born, almost all residential buildings are made this way on site. When done by competent builders, the upsides are:

• Very fast construction
  • Slightly cheaper build costs, compared to typical masonary construction. Houses built in a factory and assembled on site (like the site referred to by Mr Build) are cheaper still
  • More ecological use of materials
  • Usually easier to insulate to spec. Warmer and cheaper to heat.
  • Great flexibility in design and layout

Downsides (in the UK):

• Mortgage lenders (and the buying public) generally thing they are inferior in some important, but undefined way
  • Builders are unfamiliar with the techniques required to build timber framed houses on site. Not to take a pop at UK chippies, but frame carpentry hasn't really moved along here in a century.
  • Sheetrock internal walls can transmit sound, if not built with this in mind.

Also, as previously mentioned, build costs are usually a small percentage of the total cost when you figure land - sorry, planning permission into the budget.

I'd love to self-build. Indeed, in some parts of Canada it's more usual to build your own house than buy one.

Regards,

Mr Smith

Probably uses lead paint.I heard someone in China say in newbuild flats they leave the windows and doors open for 3 months before moving in so that the toxic smells can dissipate somewhat.Some things , like health , are more important than money.

This is serious. Are you sure about that? Do you have a link to a reliable source?

(...) build costs are usually a small percentage of the total cost when you figure land - sorry, planning permission into the budget.

I'd love to self-build. Indeed, in some parts of Canada it's more usual to build your own house than buy one.

Regards,

Mr Smith

There! I am really surprised (and disappointed :(:P ) that it took so long for anyone to mention this.

It all seems pretty academic. Reasonable plots at anything other than a stupid price just aren't out there, or at best are exceedingly rare. It all seems to have been snaffled and you can't even get a fuccyng look-in. A lot of house sellers will negotiate on the price of their houses, to a limited extent. But try getting a land owner to negotiate. They'll sit on it for years rather than sell for a penny less than what they think it is "worth". Deluded, grasping, greedy, not-bothered-because- don't-have-to-sell, or just a normal approach to looking after number one?? I dunno, but doesn't it just pi$$ you off sometimes.

It all seems pretty academic. Reasonable plots at anything other than a stupid price just aren't out there, or at best are exceedingly rare. It all seems to have been snaffled and you can't even get a fuccyng look-in. A lot of house sellers will negotiate on the price of their houses, to a limited extent. But try getting a land owner to negotiate. They'll sit on it for years rather than sell for a penny less than what they think it is "worth". Deluded, grasping, greedy, not-bothered-because- don't-have-to-sell, or just a normal approach to looking after number one?? I dunno, but doesn't it just pi$$ you off sometimes.

+ 1

Perhaps there is a north south divide on this one. Here in the south the planning blockage makes building plots extremely rare and consequently extortionately expensive.

Perhaps the OP is in the north? Or in some County / Local Authority where planning is less of a problem?

Self build?

FORGET IT in the UK.

You will NOT be allowed to escape the housing trap. To even think about it is a THOUGHT CRIME.

Do NOT resist.

Building costs are very low even for conventional building.

See here, a "Build Cost Guide", LINK: http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/files/ascent-homebuilding/Costs%20June%2011_Layout%201-1.pdf

( website source: http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/self-build/project-tool-kit/build-cost-calculator )

As others have pointed out already, the main blockage is planning permit. At least here in the south, they are extremely rare, causing an effective rationing of it, and therefore making building plots totally unaffordable. I don't know where you are though, it may be better there? Is this the case?

Self build?

FORGET IT in the UK.

You will NOT be allowed to escape the housing trap. To even think about it is a THOUGHT CRIME.

Do NOT resist.

Quite.

It is indeed a cultural/political thing. Serf mentality really. Try this same level of blockage in America and I bet the citizens there would fully use their second amendments rights!

View PostRuffneck, on 09 July 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

This is serious. Are you sure about that? Do you have a link to a reliable source?

News of the World?

I have just put in for planning for a self build.I will keep everyone up to date on how it progresses.I have budgeted £150k for the build a 4bed 180sq metre house.

HI PoD,

From your research there, do you think this Build Cost Guide is about right?

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/files/ascent-homebuilding/Costs%20June%2011_Layout%201-1.pdf

Your cost/sq.m. looks a bit low. I hope you manage it.

Where would your house would fit in that PDF table's parameters? (180sq.m) + Build Route / Quality, no of storeys, area of the country?

HI PoD,

From your research there, do you think this Build Cost Guide is about right?

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/files/ascent-homebuilding/Costs%20June%2011_Layout%201-1.pdf

Your cost/sq.m. looks a bit low. I hope you manage it.

Where would your house would fit in that PDF table's parameters? (180sq.m) + Build Route / Quality, no of storeys, area of the country?

Tow, any chance you xan send me that pdfbif you still have a copy.

anyone else thinking about self-build?

£70 k for 317 sq.m is very optimistic at £220 per sq.m. Probably lots missing to make complete. We've had these discussions before but £1000 per sq.m is nearer the mark for a decent level of finish.

New builds need to meet level 3 ( or 4 ???) Code for Sustainable Homes. The house will need air circulation and heat recovery to prevent condensation, damp and rot in the frame. It all adds up.

But the main problem is getting planning. The planners will want the house to be in the local style and be as high sq.m density as possible on the plot. ie cheek by jowl with your neighbours. The dream of finding a plot of land to build a house with a decent size garden and nice views is just that for most - a dream.

And the cost of the plot ??? Well, that's the killer. This web site should really be called Residential Land Price Crash - but that's not too catchy.

Am I the only one that the thought of self build fills me with dread?

Let me put this into context. I'm in IT by profession, and the thought of building my own PC or IT system is second nature to me, in fact I would rather do it myself than pay someone to do it. However, the thought or even the suggestion of me building my own house is completely alien to me! No way man, I want to pay someone else to do it, and probably not unlike a house builder would rather an IT professional build their PC or IT system.

Am I the only one that the thought of self build fills me with dread?

If (like a friend of mine) you're pretty clued up on some heavy duty DIY type stuff, you could probably supervise such a construction and know if things were being done properly. You could probably do a bit yourself.

If you're anything like me, forget it.

<br />If (like a friend of mine) you're pretty clued up on some heavy duty DIY type stuff, you could probably supervise such a construction and know if things were being done properly. You could probably do a bit yourself.<br /><br />If you're anything like me, forget it.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm pretty handy, I've plaster boarded and re-artexed the kitchen ceiling, plumbed in outside hose points and fitted in new electric plug sockets and ceiling pendants, but that's as far as it goes. Anything structural and I would want a professional involved.

I don't mean to sound trite or anything, but you can't self build a solid Victorian house (converted flat) I live in at the moment in SE London any more.

And bizarrely, I almost feel a bit guilty for not wanting to build my own house, like in some way I'm a bit lazy? God, we can't win! ;)