House Price Crash Forum
Spirit

More Big Reductions

It took us a year to sell. Started at £550,000 to start (two agents originally said it would sell for £575,000 but that was stupid). And we eventually sold for £425,000.

Wokingham, the most afflent area of the UK and also the murder capital.

meanwhile in Solihull...

You lucky thing, We had our house up for 6months+, droped it buy £70,000. and not one single offer.

Valued @ £670,000

and in Anglesey - come on I know you can afford it...

We've finally had an offer on the house, dont get to excited as we've refused it. It was for 10k less than the asking price ( bear in mind that we've also dropped the house price by 10k) so we said NO ! she then went up another 3k & we said no again.

I know we're desperate but not that desperate, I'm not going to give my house away, especially to her as I know she can afford it

:lol::lol:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329000

meanwhile in Solihull...

and in Anglesey - come on I know you can afford it...

:lol::lol:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329000

I hope that woman is still around to be able to pay £100k off the asking price when the vendor becomes desperate. Then pulls out or gazunders at the last minute.

Post and ask her what she paid for it :D

We've finally had an offer on the house, dont get to excited as we've refused it. It was for 10k less than the asking price ( bear in mind that we've also dropped the house price by 10k) so we said NO ! she then went up another 3k & we said no again.

I know we're desperate but not that desperate, I'm not going to give my house away, especially to her as I know she can afford it

Three Months from Now....

Oh, if only, if only, our dream life is finished we will not be able to afford to leave the UK, as I look back how arrogant were we, we didn't even earn the equity it just appeared, and now its gone.

I do hope Dr Bubbs demographic bomb doesn't go off we are already going to have to wait 18 years for another boom!!!

I always find these peoples way of thinking very amusing.

If they really want to sell up and move to Austrailia when the housing market here is slowing then they should take any reasonable offer they can get. 7K below their new asking price is hardly going to break the bank, what if she doesn't get another offer for the nexy 6-8 months and even then 20k below asking price.

How does the seller know the buyers financial history?!?

Sounds more like the snooty seller looked down upon "that little tart walking around my house in _those_ high heels and always bending over giving my husband a quick flash in _that_ mini skirt"

:huh::huh::huh::blink:

How does the seller know the buyers financial history?!?

Sounds more like the snooty seller looked down upon "that little tart walking around my house in _those_ high heels and always bending over giving my husband a quick flash in _that_ mini skirt"

:huh::huh::huh::blink:

:D:D

Think you may be letting your imagination run away with you shaker....

The viewer was an 'older' lady who's in a position to buy, no chain & she actually wants to buy in my estate ( 2 houses for sale here & mine's the cheapest )
;)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php?...hid=25881&pp=25

:D:D

Think you may be letting your imagination run away with you shaker....

;)

Yeah look at his avatar though .

Btw shaker where can i get a full size version of that pic mate? ;)

I always find these peoples way of thinking very amusing.

If they really want to sell up and move to Austrailia when the housing market here is slowing then they should take any reasonable offer they can get. 7K below their new asking price is hardly going to break the bank, what if she doesn't get another offer for the nexy 6-8 months and even then 20k below asking price.

Indeed, £7k is going to seem like nothing compared to the 'lost interest' (on many levels :o) and the detiorating exchange rate.

Some people don't think very clearly or dispassionately when it comes to such things, if anything she has taken it very personally, if you heard a car salesman say something like "I'm not going to sell him my car because I know he can afford a better one" you'd be amazed.

If I buy a loaf of bread from Tesco for 60p I "can afford" to pay £1.20 but what has that got to do with it, maybe the loaf (or house) simply isn't worth that much and I'd be able to buy a much nicer one for the money.

I do admire the way she equates "wants to buy" with "has to buy". I want to buy an Aston Martin! :)

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest Bart of Darkness
I'm not going to give my house away

Has the meaning of "giving away" recently changed (in the same way that "bad" now also means "good")?

Does giving something away now mean selling for vastly more than you paid for it and refusing to give up your unearned equity even in the face of a market slowdown?

Just wondered...

I don't think it's a good idea to register on that forum. The karma-rich cash-poor folk are entitled to a place to exchange their tales of woe. And it is more revealing if they aren't being wound up.

I don't think it's a good idea to register on that forum. The karma-rich cash-poor folk are entitled to a place to exchange their tales of woe. And it is more revealing if they aren't being wound up.

Why should it wind her up?

And I've registered as the same name as on here as I'm not a troll.

Edited by libitina

Of course, some manage to sell up, get there and then realise they don't like.

I think the whole experience has got to this guy:

"well......i'll just say my little bit and then disappear for a while.......

having made the move to canada, got offered 2 jobs within 6 weeks off the plane, with british qualifications, worked there, lived thru the system there, suffered in the brutal winter that only hell can better probably, looked at the schooling, transport, cost of housing, retail prices...the list goes on, what in the hell would i want to do in a place like that? after resettling back home in the uk, i have managed to buy 4 investment properties, got a part-time business running and am looking for further properties too. could i have done that over there? no! because there was just too much red tape there. ok, its each to his own, by it sometimes drives me crazy that all these posters on here are that sick of england that they cant wait to move out, and yet, when they compare this country to others in the world, it is not so bad at all! and mor than likely, if some trifling thing goes awry over there, they will be the first ones to jump on a plane and get back here! my rant is this--the uk has done so much for me, and i dont care what govt is in or not--on the whole, it has been, and i reckon still will be a good place to live in 10, 20 years or more from now. why would i want to go anywhere else when i can have my breakfast and take a stroll around my neighbourhood every morning, without fear of being frozen to death in -37C windchill? Thats my rant over! the opinions here are my own--no offence to anybody in canada or elsewhere intended."

I wouldn't think he'll have much trouble finding some more properties. 2 bed flats sound like a good bet mate.

I think the whole experience has got to this guy:

"well......i'll just say my little bit and then disappear for a while.......

having made the move to canada, got offered 2 jobs within 6 weeks off the plane, with british qualifications, worked there, lived thru the system there, suffered in the brutal winter that only hell can better probably, looked at the schooling, transport, cost of housing, retail prices...the list goes on, what in the hell would i want to do in a place like that? after resettling back home in the uk, i have managed to buy 4 investment properties, got a part-time business running and am looking for further properties too.

The cold weather and ice has clearly affected the poor man!

and what happened after that. quick, im going to bed soon and need to update my 'server' software.

why would i want to go anywhere else when i can have my breakfast and take a stroll around my neighbourhood every morning, without fear of being frozen to death in -37C windchill? Thats my rant over! the opinions here are my own--no offence to anybody in canada or elsewhere intended."

Hi,

Just a little issue. The pacific seaboards of Canada (think Vancouner) have a milder climate than Britain. Long hot summers, winters rainy but very rarely below 0 C. I think you will find parts of scotland in Winter getting below -10 C. Not exactly -37 but cold enough to threaten life unless you can afford a nice warm home to live in.

Hi,

Just a little issue. The pacific seaboards of Canada (think Vancouner) have a milder climate than Britain. Long hot summers, winters rainy but very rarely below 0 C. I think you will find parts of scotland in Winter getting below -10 C. Not exactly -37 but cold enough to threaten life unless you can afford a nice warm home to live in.

I was merely the messenger in this case :)

I live in Calgary where it's quite possible to get all four seasons in one day. It gets cold here (lowest was -30 last winter) but not for too long at a time as we get chinooks which blow warm air in. The houses are really well insulated too.

The aspect of the weather that I really like (and makes it more bearable) is the sunshine and blue skies. It makes -10 feel balmy :)

I expect to retire to BC though, a little more temperate on older bones :)

The Sterling to Aussie Dollar rate is dropping - when I first started sending cash out to my missus when she was staying at her folks while I was selling our house in the UK I was getting as much as AUD 2.75 to the pound, it was down to just over 2.5 when I converted my UK equity into Aussiedollars, and its now just over AUD 2.3 to the pound.

I was panic selling 3 years ago when the buyers had already started drying up in London and knocked off a few grand just to get the sale through quickly on what was after all a very average house which I had been lucky enough to buy for a lot less than I actually sold it for.

It must be hellish now - the KC's are also in for a bit of a shock when they get to Oz - stamp duty is a lot more than the UK & buying a house all in all is pretty expensive. The Aussie RBA has managed rates in a fairly responsible fashion and is not populated by government stooges as is the MPC in the UK.

I couldn't help myself, I registered and asked her what she paid for it. :unsure::rolleyes:
What difference does it make what they originally paid for it, what they paid is history and even if you know it doesn't mean anything as you won't be able to tell whether they paid over or under or about right at the time. Our house was originally sold when new for £250 I can't imagine you'll get any house in the UK for that now!

Oops looks like you hit a nerve. Personally I would find it very important to find out what the OO had paid for the house and when, no not important - vital.

I hope that woman is still around to be able to pay £100k off the asking price when the vendor becomes desperate. Then pulls out or gazunders at the last minute.

Post and ask her what she paid for it :D

I must say, they don't do themselves or other seller any favours. All reading that forum does for me is stop me house hunting. Why would I bother making an offer if this is how it's going to be treated? 7K below asking seems pretty generous to me, especially if the house has been on the market for a while. I'm quite sure they will think differently when they are making offers on homes in their new country.

My work college has just offered £300,000 for a house marketed at £380,000 (20% less) after viewing 10 properties in 4 days (this time last year, you'd be hard pressed to find that many properties on the market). Apparently the agent asked him if he was 'serious' (I kid you not), when he said he was, he said the seller would not take kindly to people 'trying it on'. Not really the way I would talk to a customer, but if they don't want to sell the house, that's up to them.

Edited by laughing_goat