House Price Crash Forum
Barney Rubble

Twickenham Whitton Area

Now some might call me mad, but I have looking to buy and have found a nice place in Whitton /Twickenham , the missus and I need more space than we currently have in a one bedroom flat in South West london and we are making our nest for the future.

What I cant get my head around is why anyone in their right mind would want to spend £350k - £400k on a small flat in Wandsworth/ Balham / Clapham (where I am currently living) when you can get a 3-4 bedroom house with a garden in the Twickenham area which is only 20 mins into Waterloo.

Why is Twickenham/ Whitton so cheap ?

Sure it is further out of London , therefore my one big night out a month with the lads cab fare in the early hours will be a bit higher but this is offset by the standard of living and increased accommodation in the "burbs"

It seems to me that Prime Central London is being purchase by foreign money (who percieve the prices are at a discount as the rate of sterling is so low) this in turn is driving other buyers further out to Wandsworth Clapham Balham even Tooting etc

What further surprises me in the asking prices since we went under offer in the Twickenham Whitton area seem to have increased

Sure this will have to implode at some point ?

What I cant get my head around is why anyone in their right mind would want to spend £350k - £400k on a small flat in Wandsworth/ Balham / Clapham (where I am currently living) when you can get a 3-4 bedroom house with a garden in the Twickenham area which is only 20 mins into Waterloo.

The obsession with being near a tube line has always puzzled me. I come in on the Northern line every day, but a couple of times recently I've got the train back from Victoria & London Bridge at 5/530pm ... and they were empty! Certainly compared to the crush in the City trying to get on to the Northern line. I guess it must be some psychological thing that people want to be living near a station that's on the LU map.

Some asking price that I have been sent through (still on the mailing lists for all the local estate agents in Twicker/Whitton) are insane

Worse location, further away from the stations, on main busy road , one less bedroom or badly configured , not asethically pleasing from the outside, of are flat rather than semi detached etc are on the market for £100k more than the asking price of the one we are now under offer for !

Few properties (small minority) are reasonablly priced others are just way out of sync with the rest

Vendors driving the pricing ?

Looking forward to seeing the SALES figure and at what discounts these are from the asking prices

Will

An area I'm interested in too. You're right about transport OP, and it seems to be a nice place to live, but don't confuse Whitton with Twickenham. Estate agents classifying Whitton as Twickenham is a fairly recent phenomenon though and an attempt to boost the area. I've noticed they're now writing "Whtton, Twickenham" when it used to just be "Whitton". The A316 is the divide and seems to make quite a difference when it comes to prices. Some nice houses in Whitton, but there's a big difference between the areas if you ask the locals. If you've got kids or thinking of having them OP then schools in Twickenham (catchment area) are significantly better.

Twickenham:Whitton::Clapham:Brixton

On the pricing front, rent yields for Twickenham seem very low for decent flats and houses (<4%) so I'm not sure you could call buying a bargain, but it is indeed all relative.

Edited by mikthe20

There is defintely a differential in price and appeal between the Whitton Borders; Twickeham Isleworth Brenford Hounslow Feltham Hanworth etc and Whitton, so I have witnessed IMHO

The things is, the areas the are NOT nice ie bordering Hounslow Feltham Hanwoth seem to have some higher asking prices, (this is not due to decent school catchments, I went around with my Mother In Law who is a local child minder)

I reckon that some agents are being realistic, whereas others are just taking a punt before then asking the vendor to reduce the asking price. Or may it is the un-realistic views of the vendors themselves.

Anyway I am happy with the area, my offer has been accepted , the house is more than I could have hoped for at the price agreed

Anyway I am happy with the area, my offer has been accepted , the house is more than I could have hoped for at the price agreed

Congrats! Hope you have many happy years there.

is whitton only 20 mins from waterloo?. there is no fast train to waterloo from twickenham is there? i dont really like twickenham proper as i think it is very crowded and very expensive. we had a look at some houses and they were the usual 2 up 2 down terraced house converted into a 3 bed house with the bathroom accessed through the kitchen and built in an extension in the garden. not to mention how both sides of the streets were fully used up by parked vehicles making the road very narrow and very congested.

whitton is ok with a good high street and decent amenities. we had looked at a place in whitton near the whitton/ hounslow border and it was ok. basically whitton is an extension of hounslow and i like hounslow. it is easy to finish your shopping there very quickly and get out of there. i am in hampton which is a bit more quieter and i like it that way. congrats on your purchase. hope the process goes smoothly and you enjoy living in your house

Pretty sure that there are fast trains to Waterloo from Twickenham.

From Whitton in the morning they run more regularly (ie Peak Time) stopping I believe at Twickenham Richmond Putney Clapham Junction Vauaxhall and London Waterloo taking 20-25 mins,

In the evening there are 2 fast trains an hour from Waterloo to Whitton one at 28 mins past the hour and then 58 mins past , there will be more fast trains to Twickenham I think.

Check out nationalrail.co.uk

I heard that Hounslow is not that nice , it is due to be totally redeveloped so I have heard. I agreed that Twickenham and St Margarets are pricey , cant realy understand why? No better transport links, maybe good schools etc

Well hopefully we should exchange this week, so fingers crossed

Many thanks

I too am likely to buy eventually in this area of West London, I really like it. I'm currently renting in Chiswick, but you can forget buying here unless you've won the Euromillions.

I've got my eye on Twickenham, Hampton, St. Margarets and Teddington. Richmond and Kew = dream on!

Mikethe20 is right that there is a definate divide between the left hand and right hand side of the A316 and beware estate agents that describe Whitton as Twickenham, there is a big difference.

I'm at the bottom of the market i.e. 1 bed flat territory or I'd go for a studio IF it was in a premium area. I've watched this end of the market closely in terms of asking prices and land registery sales prices and it's slipping south ever so slowly, with auction repo's thrown in. I won't consider buying for at least 2 years.

Edit: Barney enjoy you new place! (St Margarets is pricey because it's nice. What I mean is, it's got a useless train station, but plenty of "twig" and pointless designer shops, Instantly adds 20% on).

Edited by Starla

Well looks like we are exchanging in the next few days :rolleyes:

Whitton has a lot of room for improvement, ie the high street etc

But hopefully when times improve some regeneration will take place and rejuvinate the area.

But I am pretty much visting the area weekly and still feel that this is the right place for us

As far as I am aware they are currently extending the Whitton platform to cater for 10 coach trains & (to the delight of the commmuters) the cafe is reopening

Fast trains to Waterloo do go from Twickenham. Whitton is cheaper than Twickenham and has the cheapest housing in Richmond Upon Thames Borough. I am also looking in Twickenham as it has far better value than the likes of Richmond, Barnes et al. Still looks expensive when you take the view that all property is ridiculously overpriced though!

Rousseau - If you look at Whitton Iselworth or (shock horror) borders of hounslow the prices drop quite significantly

The transport links are still good , the house slightly bigger and the area is nice

Twickers 3 bedroom house is £400k whereas sligtly further out west to the area above the house would be £350 -£300k

Good luck

Rousseau - If you look at Whitton Iselworth or (shock horror) borders of hounslow the prices drop quite significantly

The transport links are still good , the house slightly bigger and the area is nice

Twickers 3 bedroom house is £400k whereas sligtly further out west to the area above the house would be £350 -£300k

Good luck

Yes, they definitely get cheaper further out. Isleworth has some nice properties but the smell from the Mogden sewage plant can be terrible. It's been very controversial but is supposedly going to be improved. Smell sometimes reaches Twickenham and Whitton is even more affected.

Mogden Stench

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to the market round here. Looking in the same areas as Starla but hoping the market takes a downturn - despite the EA's hyping and ramping Teddington,Richmond, Kew etc..

Hampton hill has some reasonable value ( I say value but only within the framework of the vastly inflated prices in the borough).

GL with your purchase.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to the market round here. Looking in the same areas as Starla but hoping the market takes a downturn - despite the EA's hyping and ramping Teddington,Richmond, Kew etc..

Hampton hill has some reasonable value ( I say value but only within the framework of the vastly inflated prices in the borough).

Good to know there's some camaraderie for me in the TW waiting game then. It's pretty tedious, there's not much around, and properties take ages to shift. A glimmer of hope is that the desperate sellers do knock their prices down, and still no takers.

I'm looking at the bottom end of the market and taking into account 3xsalary, not including bonuses etc (sensible borrowing) plus my deposit then I realistically won't pay more than £160k. As my deposit has just taken a hammering via low interest rates and now the stock market, then even that's up for review. Most of my finances are tied up for 2 years which is just as well as it prevents me doing anything stupid right now - like buying.

I rent in a wicked part of W4 for silly low rent, so I'm not desperate to buy, and if prices surge on up, then I'll carry on renting in a better area than I could ever buy.

Agree with Hampton Hill and I can't find anything obviously wrong with it either. Have you physically viewed properties or are you armchair viewing like me?

Edited by Starla

Agree with Hampton Hill and I can't find anything obviously wrong with it either. Have you physically viewed properties or are you armchair viewing like me?

Yes, I've viewed in Twick, Hampton hill and Richmond. I have even made offers but these have mostly been met by derision, encouragements to offer a shed-load more, or not even acknowledged. I can understand the demand for Richmond, Kew and Barnes but am not going to pay the 10-15% over peak 2007 price most of them are asking in Twickenham, Teddington, Hampton. Am a little jaded with the whole process and dealing with estate agents so have been quiet the last few months. There is such little choice. Lots of stuff not selling and anything really nice and not ridiculously overpriced goes too fast.

Yes, I've viewed in Twick, Hampton hill and Richmond. I have even made offers but these have mostly been met by derision, encouragements to offer a shed-load more, or not even acknowledged. I can understand the demand for Richmond, Kew and Barnes but am not going to pay the 10-15% over peak 2007 price most of them are asking in Twickenham, Teddington, Hampton. Am a little jaded with the whole process and dealing with estate agents so have been quiet the last few months. There is such little choice. Lots of stuff not selling and anything really nice and not ridiculously overpriced goes too fast.

I also understand/accept the top prices asked for Richmond, Kew, Barnes, Chiswick et al, they are premium desirable areas. Richmond especially as it has a fast Waterloo service. Probably not helped by big corporates, like my company, only housing ex pats in these areas and paying ludicrous rents without any negotiation (argh!)Twick etc don't have as much to offer and I think those area's are on thin ice if the market does drop. Big "IF". I'm just not prepared to go in over my head, been there, not a good feeling. Well done for sticking to your guns, tiring as it is, and do report in with anecdotals, observations or progress in these areas. Interesting to hear.

If it's any help, my parents paid £4,300 for a nice 4 bed semi in Teddington in 1966! It's where I grew up.

As it's now worth about 150 times what they paid for it, then no help at all!

On reflection, I've over exageratted. It's about 140 times.