House Price Crash Forum
Gone baby gone

Santander Returning All Indian Call Centres To U.k.

Sending customer facing bits of your business abroad is a bit of a schoolboy error:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14073889

Santander to bring India call centres back to UK

Santander says it is moving its call centres back to the UK to improve customer satisfaction

Chief executive Ana Botin told the BBC customers had said it was "the most important factor in terms of the satisfaction with the bank".

It is taking on 500 staff for new phone centres and has 25 million customers and 1,300 branches in the UK.

The bank acquired Abbey, Alliance & Leicester and parts of Bradford & Bingley in 2008.

Commenting on the call centre move, Ms Botin said: "This is what our customers have told us is the most important factor in terms of the satisfaction with the bank, and we have listened to them and decided to bring all of our retail call centres back from India."

BBC personal finance correspondent Simon Gompertz said Spanish bank Santander had one of the worst complaints records in the industry last year.

Our correspondent also said there was a trend for banks and other companies to bring call centres back to the UK, although many are now moving administration work to cheaper countries instead.

'Attrition'

On Tuesday, telecommunications company New Call Telecom announced that it was moving one of its call centres from India to Lancashire, in a move that is expected to bring 100 jobs to the area.

New Call Telecom transferred its business to Mumbai three years ago, but increased costs has prompted it to move to Burnley.

The company highlighted a growing trend in India for prices to increase in real estate, salaries and accommodation.

In September 2010, Santander said it was creating 400 call centre jobs in the UK following rapid growth in its business.

Liverpool got 200 of the call centre jobs, with 100 in both Leicester and Glasgow.

One wonders if like the Telco they were simply dumb enough to use an expensive location like Mumbai. There is also the not inconsiderable problem of time zones which means anyone in the UK phoning an Indian call centre in the evening is talking to a poor sod tethered to a phone at 3 am a fact which is not likely to engender the best performance.

Sending customer facing bits of your business abroad is a bit of a schoolboy error:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14073889

Shortermist leaders. All these business plans that say "We'll save xx millions over 8 years by doing y" are fantastic as if you stick around for 4 years you generally find they do a 180 on the direction so the original business case rarely gets delivered. Rather then slow but sustained improvements through evolution, they try and get a dramatic step change of improvement through revolution and more often then not, the latest management fashion trend overtakes the idea and its scrapped half way through.

Shortermist leaders. All these business plans that say "We'll save xx millions over 8 years by doing y" are fantastic as if you stick around for 4 years you generally find they do a 180 on the direction so the original business case rarely gets delivered. Rather then slow but sustained improvements through evolution, they try and get a dramatic step change of improvement through revolution and more often then not, the latest management fashion trend overtakes the idea and its scrapped half way through.

But big and dramatic makes the CEO's look impressive/powerful and in control at the time, the stock market loves it as they look decisive and in control. By the time the decision is reverse the CEO has probably gone and the new one now looks impressive and decisive and the stock market loves it.

Yes, these plans invariably look good on paper...

There's also the 'early adopter' problem - the very first companies to try this offshoring must, by definition, have been the most involved in trying to make it work, and would have had the pick of the applicants; hence these are the most likely to make it work, in any area (Call centers, development, etc..).

By the time company X has piled on the bandwagon, this has changed - the pool of good people has been used up, and bandwagon jumpers often are not that bothered about implementation details; and the consultants sell them the offshoring idea based on the experience of the early adopters.

I've been trying to tell people around me for ages that the UK will become the next slave-box china/india with mass unskilled jobs. :unsure:

Personally I refuse to deal with companies unless they have someone in the UK I can talk to easily.

Is this cos they have learned from tesco? Will they use cheaper eu labour based in the UK (Are they buying up houses to put them in? They might have a few repos they could get on the cheap?)

But big and dramatic makes the CEO's look impressive/powerful and in control at the time, the stock market loves it as they look decisive and in control. By the time the decision is reverse the CEO has probably gone and the new one now looks impressive and decisive and the stock market loves it.

That's why we need a serious reform of corporation laws.

The concept of limited liability has proven to be disastrous in so many ways. In the case of corporations the stockholders (at least the majors ones, for example those holding more than lets say 5% of the stock) need to be made liable for the actions of the corporation.

This would make sure that major stockholders pay a lot more attention to what directors do and it would prevent a lot of shortemist and/or borderline or outright illegal behaviour by corporations.

Had to ring these clowns a few times over the last few weeks, never got an Indian call centre once, mostly Scots. :unsure:

According to someone that I know at a UK bank, they have more complaints from customers who can't understand people at call centres in Scotland than India.

According to someone that I know at a UK bank, they have more complaints from customers who can't understand people at call centres in Scotland than India.

I might have the convo with the bank girl in essex on tape still. She was completely illierate. Shocking.

Had to ring these clowns a few times over the last few weeks, never got an Indian call centre once, mostly Scots. :unsure:

Yes the people in the scottish call centre are just as awkward and obstructive as the indians. Come to think of so are the ones in Liverpool. Not sure about Leicester, cos it could have been Mumbai or wherever it is in India.

Mind you I think all of Talktalk's call centre staff are BT trained or perhaps BT have infiltrated the call centre to piss off irritate and annoy Talktalk customers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the devalued pound has also lead to this decision. If the foreign workers aren't as good as the natives and their pay is now higher, there is a good incentive to move the jobs back again.

One wonders if like the Telco they were simply dumb enough to use an expensive location like Mumbai. There is also the not inconsiderable problem of time zones which means anyone in the UK phoning an Indian call centre in the evening is talking to a poor sod tethered to a phone at 3 am a fact which is not likely to engender the best performance.

oh dear , what a pity , never mind

That's why we need a serious reform of corporation laws.

The concept of limited liability has proven to be disastrous in so many ways. In the case of corporations the stockholders (at least the majors ones, for example those holding more than lets say 5% of the stock) need to be made liable for the actions of the corporation.

This would make sure that major stockholders pay a lot more attention to what directors do and it would prevent a lot of shortemist and/or borderline or outright illegal behaviour by corporations.

Limited liability is great for encouraging startups and risky ventures. However, it should not be allowed once you get to public company status; the lack of power of many shareholders hands too much power to an essentially unaccountable management.

However, it invites abuse when it comes to large organizations like banks. Personally, I would not restrict liability on basis of the size of holding (you can bet this would be used as a get-out clause anyway), but make sure that it was those exercising voting rights who were liable - i.e. pension fund managers, not the actual pension fund contributors.

I'd also make sure that all directors (executive and non-exec) had a notional stake which would be used for both bonus calculations and liability.. say 0.1% of gross profit.. and 0.1% liability.

The company highlighted a growing trend in India for prices to increase in real estate, salaries and accommodation.

High house prices in india ake it cheaper to move workers back to the UK.

I expect the plummeting value of the pound also may have a lot to do with it.

I suspect most complaints are related to trying to deal with Santander, rather than where the call centre is located.

Even the most dedicated and helpful call centre operative will have no chance if working for a scum bank who gives them no power.

I suspect most complaints are related to trying to deal with Santander, rather than where the call centre is located.

Even the most dedicated and helpful call centre operative will have no chance if working for a scum bank who gives them no power.

I'm sure complaints will have a little bit to do with the move. But I'll bet that financial concerns will have just as much if not more to do with it.

Hence why the BoE is doing everything possible to talk the £ down with talk of more QE etc etc.

They have adjusted the economy very quickly and people shouldnt be complaining but rejoycing action can be taken so swiftly when you consider we are dealing with the 6th largest economy in the world! Its like turning an oil tanker!

Yup, arguably our currency had become far too overvalued, which was driving jobs away.

That said, I think the rich need to give a few hair cuts, instead of just watered down currency though. We can't keep letting the poor take the pain, while the rich are protected. The rich will no doubt bleat on about their savings being devalued through printing, but that was going to happen either way (if not by the printer, by a default)... the poor get stuffed ever more by printing (when you can barely afford food, the last thing you need is said items increasing in price).

TBH though, I'll be happy when free market currencies take over. No one should have the right to manipulate currency like this, least of all when it's the only currency you can pay your taxes in (amongst other things!). It is fraught with moral hazard and one person's 'right' way, is another's 'wrong' way. It's best to leave it to the market to decide - it's an impartial arbiter*.

* And it would have given the rich a kicking over the last few years, tbh.

Yes, these plans invariably look good on paper...

There's also the 'early adopter' problem - the very first companies to try this offshoring must, by definition, have been the most involved in trying to make it work, and would have had the pick of the applicants; hence these are the most likely to make it work, in any area (Call centers, development, etc..).

By the time company X has piled on the bandwagon, this has changed - the pool of good people has been used up, and bandwagon jumpers often are not that bothered about implementation details; and the consultants sell them the offshoring idea based on the experience of the early adopters.

as an owner of a service company, find the biggest cost I face is that of paying to service customers.

Having spoken to an MBA about the costs of doing business, we came to the conclusion that the best way to cut costs was to cancel all the customers...we now employ no-one to carry this out and have saved a fortune.

From my experice of 'safeway bank', 'abbey national', 'abbey' and now 'santander'.....it is not the call centres that are the problem....it is everything they do including branches, I have found them to be most useless, especially when it comes to proving identity, there 'system' makes no sense....

You may therefore ask why I have been a glutten for punishment, well at the relevant times they have offered the best rate, i.e. on ISAs.....and each time I say never again lol

With regard to free markets, we will never have a free market whilst there are multiple govts & multiple currencies.

Say what????!!

Are you seriously suggesting the crazy masonic "one world government, one world currency" idea would be leading to a free market???!! :o:o:lol:

If that's what you are saying, then that's the dumbest comment I have read on HPC in 6 years (apart from obvious trolling)...