House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest_ringledman_*

Anyone Ever Got Through To Hmrc On The Phone

Here is a trick from my accountant days:

Send in a 64-8 as agent put yourself as an agent to yourself.

Wait 2 weeks for it to be processed, then use the agent hot line, no more than 90 seconds waiting if you use that.

ANYBODY can be classed as an agent.

Ringing HMRC.

No chance of getting through ever?

Yep.

October 2008 - they were helpful in answering my questions. :)

May 2009 - Kafkaesque nightmare. :ph34r:

That's just the encounters recorded in my blog B)

Here is a trick from my accountant days:

Send in a 64-8 as agent put yourself as an agent to yourself.

Wait 2 weeks for it to be processed, then use the agent hot line, no more than 90 seconds waiting if you use that.

ANYBODY can be classed as an agent.

These days the agent line doesn't answer the phone either. And they are not very good at replying to letters either.

I've never had any trouble getting through to HMRC. If you call the number at the top of any letter they send you, you get through straight away.

I like the idea of them being undermanned and overworked though.

Try calling before 10;30am. I did that last year and got through first time.

Was asking about my tax code and they were surprisingly co-operative, discussing past year records and quickly posting me a copy.

yep, every time recently. Maybe I choose to ring them at the right time (not lunch times, first or last thing etc). Never got the same answer from them twice, but you cant expect everything, can you?

I have tried once - nearer the end of the shift - maybe 7pm or so. Got through very quick and they were very helpful. This was a year ago though. Very good service in my small experience.

You shouldn't leave it to the last minute.

A mate of mine decided to do his first ever business tax return online. However, being a worse procrastinator than me, he didn't start it until 8:00 PM the night before the deadline.

The servers must have been under severe pressure as it took him ages to get anywhere. When he did, he found he needed to register for a PIN number or somesuch. He did this, and was then told that he'd get his number in the post.

5-7 working days I think was the quoted time for delivery.