House Price Crash Forum
timebandit

Calls To Scrap Second Homes Tax Discount In Cornwall

Hopefully other councils will follow and even severely tax owners of long-term empty homes .

Councillors in Cornwall are to write to the government to ask for changes in the law to scrap council tax discounts for second homes.

The full council voted on Tuesday to write to Communities Secretary Eric Pickles for the changes.

It is estimated that at least one property in 20 in Cornwall is a second home - about 13,500 households.

more

BBC LINK

Hopefully other councils will follow and even severely tax owners of long-term empty homes .

more

BBC LINK

Scrap it? They should charge double!

i am more for tarring and feathering second home parasites, than going the tax route. but i guess their hearts are in the right place and they are more gentle down there than the Welsh.

all praise the Cornish. Gimme a pastie and a surfboard, its time to fly the black and white flag.

Good for them. I suspect that quite a few MPs will have 2nd (or even 3rd) homes though, so the chances of a new law passing may be in inverse proportion to the % of MPs that have 2nd homes.

(edit for typo)

Edited by newbonic

+1

The fact they are still giving a discount is madness - they are actually encouraging second home owners to price out locals. Next time your councillors come a knocking at election time, tell them how it is.

This tax should be progressive, and charged on the total value of all your property. With a discount for UK citizens and couples living together.

Do that and it would really hurt those with bigger and multiple properties, most of everyone else would get to pay a bit less.

went to conrwal a little while ago after not going for a couple of years due to france.

i was unsuprised that corruption has finally got to them. everything had been double yellowed with £4 parking only.

yellow jackets everywhere. prices of cafes etc almost doubled.

place - empty.

not going again.

Hmmm.

Current discount is 10% for a property that is occupied for perhaps 50% of the year which sounds like a pretty good deal for the council in terms of the costs of providing services for said occupants.

Please also note that many 'second homes' are holiday homes paying small business rates, not council tax, which central government has reduced to less than the applicable council tax to encourage small businesses because tourism is extremely important to Cornwall's economy.

But I think you're confusing the morality of someone choosing to spend their money on a second home instead of an extension on their own home or frequent foreign holidays with the need to raise local taxes at the minimum of cost to the council, but that's your prerogative.

By all means call for the doubling of council tax on second/holiday homes but I doubt it will make much difference to the overall tax take and bear in mind that you should probably be calling for the doubling of small business rates anyway.

Hmmm.

Current discount is 10% for a property that is occupied for perhaps 50% of the year which sounds like a pretty good deal for the council in terms of the costs of providing services for said occupants.

Please also note that many 'second homes' are holiday homes paying small business rates, not council tax, which central government has reduced to less than the applicable council tax to encourage small businesses because tourism is extremely important to Cornwall's economy.

But I think you're confusing the morality of someone choosing to spend their money on a second home instead of an extension on their own home or frequent foreign holidays with the need to raise local taxes at the minimum of cost to the council, but that's your prerogative.

By all means call for the doubling of council tax on second/holiday homes but I doubt it will make much difference to the overall tax take and bear in mind that you should probably be calling for the doubling of small business rates anyway.

Today we seem to have a lot of active VIs posting drivel here... :rolleyes:

The reason why second homes should be discouraged is because they drive house prices up for locals!!!

(tax take isn't the issue here)

Edited by awake_eagle

Man, the horse has long bolted on this one.

They should have introduced legislation to dampen the impact of second homes about 15 years ago.

FFS, when I was doing my GCSE's, a huge part of Geography was about rural poverty, and how second homes are a big contributor to it. That was donkey's ago.

And they are only NOW thinking about implementing something locally?

Man, the horse has long bolted on this one.

They should have introduced legislation to dampen the impact of second homes about 15 years ago.

FFS, when I was doing my GCSE's, a huge part of Geography was about rural poverty, and how second homes are a big contributor to it. That was donkey's ago.

And they are only NOW thinking about implementing something locally?

Yes, the mismanagement of British housing policy is very old indeed. Most of it emanating from unintended consequences of the over-restricted planning system. But regarding 2nd homes, even if many horses have "bolted", high taxes would quickly bring many of these horses back... ;)

Edited by Tired of Waiting

+1

The fact they are still giving a discount is madness - they are actually encouraging second home owners to price out locals. Next time your councillors come a knocking at election time, tell them how it is.

...plus another one, empty homes not only create fewer homes and higher prices for local people, they also create less income for the local residents....people that live in local vibrant communities help support each other, by creating a velocity of money through buying and selling skills, services and produce to each other, helping and strengthening each other....absent property owners create voids, thus killing communities.....empty towns with priced out residents die quickly. ;)

Edited by winkie

...or perhaps they could charge CT as a rate of the "value" of the property...say 5%...a cottage "worth" half million - thats five grand a year please (or wotever)...you'd need to charge a higher percentage, as aren't the values of properties for CT date back to 91?...

Ah, taxation - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Taxes are going to have to go higher. The little guy is tapped out, so I'd expect this kind of discount to fall, and then for proposals similar to the ones on this thread to be enacted. And then a general property tax.

It would be of greater benefit to call in the bad debt and allow asset prices to reset.

...or perhaps they could charge CT as a rate of the "value" of the property...say 5%...a cottage "worth" half million - thats five grand a year please (or wotever)...you'd need to charge a higher percentage, as aren't the values of properties for CT date back to 91?...

A sensible approach would be to combine Council Tax with Stamp Duty and charge it to the owner - the beneficiary of the uplift in value of the property due to the provision of local services such as made up roads, street lights, police, fire brigade, etc. The higher the sale price of the property, the higher the annual property tax.