House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot

Dvla - Removing Motorbike Entitlements

Hi All,

It's time for my 10 yearly photocard renewal on my driving licence.

I'm rather concerened as i'm aware of loads of stories of bikers renewing their licences and getting the new licence back only to find the bike entitlement had been taken away and then having to go through all the shag, hassle and expense of re-taking the test.

Are there any recommended steps to take before renewing my licence so that in the event the DVLA screw up I can get them to correct their error?

Is simply making photocopies of the old licence sufficient or isn't that good enough for the DVLA?

Ta!

edited for speeling :-)

Taking a photocopy is very sensible and will cover any problems you may have with the DVLA should they make an error

Photos and also photocopies plus get the photocopy certified as true by a clerk at the Post Office, a lawyer or doctor or a police officer - etc

Every time I change address I have this worry, the above is what I do

Photos and also photocopies plus get the photocopy certified as true by a clerk at the Post Office, a lawyer or doctor or a police officer - etc

Every time I change address I have this worry, the above is what I do

That's a good reason for never changing address. My licence is still down with my parents' address and still a paper one (I can be contacted via that so whatever the gestapo try to claim it's as valid as the address I live in as far as I'm concerned).

I renewed mine last year and had no idea about this.

Just looked and there's no small motorbike on it anymore..

Does this mean I can no longer legally hop on a scooter without going through licensing?

Is this a money making scheme at a time where motorbikes are becoming a financially attractive alternative to the car?

Make sure you send any paperwork to the DVLA by recorded delivery.

Make sure you have a the official certificate for passing your bike test.

Phone up the DVLA and confirm what dept to send it to plus confirm your bike entitlement.

Get a name of whom you are dealing with.

Good Luck!

Keep a copy or just keep the original and pay for a replacement but as I understand it, having it on your license now doesnt help because the dvla are telling people that they have no record of their bike test. With no record of it then it aint going on your replacement license no matter how many copies of an old one you have.

I dont know if it is a scam or just the usual level of sheer incompetence now expected from agencies like this.

I had a similar issue when I had to change my address. They left off my 'H' for tracked vehicles, I got bored arguing with some dumb welsh bint and gave up since I am unlikely to ever need it again. It wasnt an argument that I was going to win.

The only true way of doing this is to say you lost it and pay for a replacement. Then you have two originals - this was discussed many times on Watchdog.

Why take a photocopy? Take pictures and a video with a camera.

Even quicker, I scanned mine using my printer.

I had to email a scan of my licence (including the paper bit) to my last car insurer, which was a surprise. If I was lying about having a licence, then they just wouldn't have to pay out in the event of a claim. Covering themselves I suppose.

I'd personally order a replacement, and keep the original...If you find that they've removed the entitlement, say you found your original, and show them the entitlement...I've heard that they don't accept photocopies as evidence..

Copies (in any form - photocopy, digitial photo, etc) are ignored by the DVLA unless they are certified.

So either:

Get a local high-street solicitor to make a certified copy.

or

Keep you old licence and tell the DVLA you lost it. Then if they remove any entitlement, suddenly "find it" again.