House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Untoward

Incredible, Absolutely Incredible

The biggest story of the year is quite understandably blanketed across all of tomorrow's front pages. All but two. News International's The Sun has neglected to shine light on the despicable allegations against their own and The Daily Express have seen fit to lead with the all-important 'house prices rise £67 a day". Speechless.

The biggest story of the year is quite understandably blanketed across all of tomorrow's front pages. All but two. News International's The Sun has neglected to shine light on the despicable allegations against their own and The Daily Express have seen fit to lead with the all-important 'house prices rise £67 a day". Speechless.

Amazin, eh? The Sun seems to make no mention of it at all.

Cameron is ball-deep in this mire as a result of Brooks being his friend, and Coulson of course. Pi$$poor judgement which seemed destined to haunt him.

BBC breakfast news just skipped over about 8 front pages, including the Metro, but NOT the Express. Surely, the worm has turned, not showing a ramping headline.

<br />The biggest story of the year is quite understandably blanketed across all of tomorrow's front pages. All but two. News International's The Sun has neglected to shine light on the despicable allegations against their own and The Daily Express have seen fit to lead with the all-important 'house prices rise £67 a day". Speechless.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This phone hacking malarkey is really getting on my nerves now. Apparently, if I go to work one day and accidentally leave my front door open and some one comes in and has a root round my knickers draw, I've been hacked!!!

This story has been blown out of all proportion. The police are powerless to evict squatters that ocuppy your house while you're out walking the dog, yet they're all over PI's that have been accessing people's voicemails because they haven't simply set a PIN. Listening to someones voicemail (which is still illegal, dont get me wrong) is as easy as calling the number and pressing the * key when you hear the recorded greeting.

The sensible thing would be for mobile phone operators to make the default setting to remote voicemail off until a PIN has been set.

<br />BBC breakfast news just skipped over about 8 front pages, including the Metro, but NOT the Express. Surely, the worm has turned, not showing a ramping headline.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

They did the first time. Sian held the Express up when they did the papers before 6.30am.

The biggest story of the year is quite understandably blanketed across all of tomorrow's front pages.

More like the biggest distraction of the year. How is it a 'big' story when we have Greece defaulting, Portugal insolvent, Italy on the brink, the USA teetering on the edge and the entire fiat currency system hanging by a thread (not to mention Fukushima - which is not 'fixed' and other natural disasters)?

This phone hacking malarkey is really getting on my nerves now. Apparently, if I go to work one day and accidentally leave my front door open and some one comes in and has a root round my knickers draw, I've been hacked!!!

This story has been blown out of all proportion. The police are powerless to evict squatters that ocuppy your house while you're out walking the dog, yet they're all over PI's that have been accessing people's voicemails because they haven't simply set a PIN. Listening to someones voicemail (which is still illegal, dont get me wrong) is as easy as calling the number and pressing the * key when you hear the recorded greeting.

The sensible thing would be for mobile phone operators to make the default setting to remote voicemail off until a PIN has been set.

I'm with you in that the 'hacking' is easily avoidable and in most cases harmless, but they interfered with (and potentially damaged) a police investigation, and apparently the met are too afraid of them to do a proper investigation. Those are the things that worry me. Oh, we're getting a proper investigation now. Who are running it? The met. Lovely.

67 quid a day, impressive, guess the larger the house and the more debt one is in the better the reward.

This country is completely FUBAR.

I should have said biggest NEWSPAPER story of the year. It could spell the end of The News Of The World and as a previous poster has pointed out, our PM is embroiled in the whole sorry affair.

And sheeple aren't interested in financial Armageddon anyway. When does X Factor start back up again? Oh and The Express say house prices are on the up. Forget inflation, I can still watch telly in my own house.

67 quid a day, impressive, guess the larger the house and the more debt one is in the better the reward.

This country is completely FUBAR.

No - the Express is FUBAR.

Does anyone actually take what they say seriously?

And sheeple aren't interested in financial Armageddon anyway.

Queues outside Northern Rock in 2007 say they are.

I should have said biggest NEWSPAPER story of the year. It could spell the end of The News Of The World and as a previous poster has pointed out, our PM is embroiled in the whole sorry affair.

And sheeple aren't interested in financial Armageddon anyway. When does X Factor start back up again? Oh and The Express say house prices are on the up. Forget inflation, I can still watch telly in my own house.

As I fear will be the previous lot.

Politics is rotten to the core in this country.

Seeing as Sienna Miller received a £100k payout after her phone was 'hacked' I assume the Milly Dowler family, 7/7 victims/ military personnel families and the rest will be recieving the same?

The phone companies love voicemail though. I never use it and keep it switched off, but, a few years ago, Vodafone switched it back on on both of our phones. When I phoned customer services they said that they had, for some strange reason, decided to enable voicemail on all accounts that had it switched off. I asked them to disable again and put a note on the accounts that it must not be re-enabled.

Another thing with mobile phone companies is text messages that tell you the roaming rates everytime your phone switches network. We drive a lot in Europe and I use my phone as a satnav and constant text messages are annoying and distracting. I asked Vodafone to stop sending me these messages as they are frequent and dangerous when driving, they said it was not possible to disable them, but I have never received another one since that call :).

No - the Express is FUBAR.

Does anyone actually take what they say seriously?

Good riddance to it, same can be said for most of these so called 'news' papers.

There's some serious shit going on in the world at the minute, not that one would know if they are plugged into the MSM.

This phone hacking nonsense is yet another distraction to soak us 'news' time with.

<br /><br /><br />

Last time I looked hacking into telecommunication and IT systems was a criminal offence. Certainly the government are keen to remind me of that fact each time I have the misfortune to log onto one of their web sites as they invariably have blood curdling warnings to that effect plastered all over them. If you are a spotty teenager who hacks for a hobby then it appears you can be arrested, banged up without bail and be deported to be a*se raped in some foreign jail. However, it seems that if you are an employee of a major media corporation owned by a billionaire you can aid and abet such criminality without fear of the law even if it means potentially compromising criminal investigations into serial killing and mass murder by terrorists. Really the stench of rot from Britain's hypocritical law enfocement agencies and rancid political system is getting almost unbearable now.

I believe that is what most phone operators do now. The other night I thought I'd try and access my work mobile's voicemail by calling it and pressing * when being asked to leave a message. I was then told that as I had not set a pin I could not access my voicemail from another number, and I had to call the voicemail service from that mobile to choose a pin code.

How did it actually work?

In the early 2000s you used to be able to just listen to your messages by pressing * at the leave a message prompt when you called your own mobile number from another phone. I remember when I was at Uni and a mate of mine played a prank on a rather camp member of our project team. He called our team member, pressed star when he got the "leave a message" script, then setup a pin code, and then changed his voicemail greeting to "Hi you've reached gay kev's voicemail. If you are gay then please leave a message after the beep." (or something like that).

Let's just say that kev wasn't very happy about this...

From a business perspective why would the express choose to run a house price story when there is an opportunity to collectively beat up one of their big rivals. Seems like a big missed opportunity to me.

On slow news days we are fully aware of their ramping but on days where big news is out there to report I find it amazing they choose something they could trott out at anytime.

Last time I looked hacking into telecommunication and IT systems was a criminal offence. Certainly the government are keen to remind me of that fact each time I have the misfortune to log onto one of their web sites as they invariably have blood curdling warnings to that effect plastered all over them. If you are a spotty teenager who hacks for a hobby then it appears you can be arrested, banged up without bail and be deported to be a*se raped in some foreign jail. However, it seems that if you are an employee of a major media corporation owned by a billionaire you can aid and abet such criminality without fear of the law even if it means potentially compromising criminal investigations into serial killing and mass murder by terrorists. Really the stench of rot from Britain's hypocritical law enfocement agencies and rancid political system is getting almost unbearable now.

Bravo.

And the day we stop caring about infrigement of our liberties and the formation of a corrupt police state is the day we become enslaved and controlled.

Maybe we are already there.

How did it actually work?

1. You find out the targets phone number and network.

2. you ring the international voicemail number (ie +44 7802 090100 for 02)

3. You enter the targets number when asked, and then you enter the default voicemail pin 8705...

4. you listen to the targets voicemails

If the target is someone your really interested and they have changed there pin, all you need to do it run an autodialer and ring the voicemail number 9999 times and try every combination until you get in

NOTE: This is pure guesswork on my part, this is how I assume it works

<br /><br /><br />

+1!

I find it incredible that the mobile telcos haven't been hauled over the coals for poor adherence to the data protection act too. I don't think I have ever heard it mentioned, despite the default security being terrible and being the reason any of this took place in the first place.

If you leave your door open and someone wonders inside, you can only really ask them to leave. If they start smashing stuff up, then it's criminal damage. In this case, the stuff they smashed up was police evidence.

It seems to me that the initial scandal wasn't really hacking at all - it was just digital trespassing, really. The latest revelations are much more serious, but I keep wondering why the mobile telcos have come out of this smelling of roses... I wonder if they suggested it was 'hacking' to cover their own backs? Surely, the media isn't that stupid to buy that line though? :unsure:

The whole thing has a smell of conspiracy, tbh, on a few levels.

1. You find out the targets phone number and network.

2. you ring the international voicemail number (ie +44 7802 090100 for 02)

3. You enter the targets number when asked, and then you enter the default voicemail pin 8705...

4. you listen to the targets voicemails

If the target is someone your really interested and they have changed there pin, all you need to do it run an autodialer and ring the voicemail number 9999 times and try every combination until you get in

NOTE: This is pure guesswork on my part, this is how I assume it works

That's about right, but I don't think they ever needed to brute force it - the default PIN was easy to find, enabled, and the mobile telco didn't insist on changing it either.

EDIT: reworded.

I believe that is what most phone operators do now. The other night I thought I'd try and access my work mobile's voicemail by calling it and pressing * when being asked to leave a message. I was then told that as I had not set a pin I could not access my voicemail from another number, and I had to call the voicemail service from that mobile to choose a pin code.

Yes, they disable remote voice mail by default now and I bet they ensure you set a PIN too. If that's not an admission of sloppy security, I don't know what is!