House Price Crash Forum

Half Of European Commission Workers(10,000) Earn More Than £71,500 A Year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8620994/Half-of-European-Commission-workers-earn-more-than-71500-a-year.html

'According to the UK-based Open Europe think tank, of the 23,928 permanent and temporary EU officials directly employed by the Commission, approximately 10,240 earn over €80,000 (£71,500).

Compared with this, the report says only 130 of the UK’s 527,490 civil servants are paid more than £150,000. '

I had a really good job in advertising in Brussels in the '80s. Charmed life. But even then, a secretary in Place Schumann earned more than me. It's been a gravy train for years.

I wouldn't mind if they were doing a good job. But these days, with the EU and the Euro fallin' apart and all, it's kinda hard to justify those salaries isn't it?

People are staring to notice.

I had a really good job in advertising in Brussels in the '80s. Charmed life. But even then, a secretary in Place Schumann earned more than me. It's been a gravy train for years.

I wouldn't mind if they were doing a good job. But these days, with the EU and the Euro fallin' apart and all, it's kinda hard to justify those salaries isn't it?

People are staring to notice.

As you say, it's been out of control for years.

I'll also add that this is a cultural problem in many European countries, indeed all over the world:- many people really believe that the ultimate job to get is one in the Government / UN / EU / World Bank etc.

It is (thought to be) the highest achievement and a great honour to yourself & your family to be able to secure a job (for life) in a Government institution.

I must admit that I too thought that until I reached about 30.

This is completely and utterly wrong and, to quote a good friend, ar*se about face!

People around the world must somehow grasp the concept that the greatest achievement is to work in the private sector NOT the public sector ... I know it's an uphill struggle though, particularly given the great salaries and perks these 'middle achievers' get in their public sector organisations across the world :(

It's a crying shame really.

It says the starting salary of a permanent or temporary Commission official is £28,470, considerably higher than the average gross salary in the UK civil service of £22,850.

...it is all waste ....the whole Euro set up needs an 'axe man'.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne