House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
inflating

Poland, Russia, Hungry Put Interest Rates Up To Curb Inflation

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-06/poland-may-raise-benchmark-interest-rate-for-fourth-time-in-2011.html

Eastern Europe, including Hungary and Russia, are also raising interest rates to slow inflation.

Inflation Accelerates

Poland’s inflation rate rose to 4.5 percent in April from 4.3 percent in March. Companies and households boosted their forecasts for inflation over the next 12 months to 4.3 percent in May from 4 percent the month before, according to a central bank survey published May 31.

Corporate wages rose 5.9 percent from a year earlier in April,

I can confirm that in the cities and nearby suburbs, property prices look ambitious to me yet buyers are still around although anecdotal reports are that their property appetite has lessened of late. What base rate does the UK need to squash the HPI monster once and for all?

Others [Polish] policy makers indicated that borrowing costs should rise, with Zyta Gilowska telling PAP on May 16 that Poland can’t allow the benchmark rate to stay below the level of annual inflation “for a sustained period” and that food and fuel price increases may spill over to other categories.

:lol: Zyta luv, just phone 00 44 20 7601 4444 and ask for a Mr King, he'll tell you how you can allow the benchmark rate to indeed stay well, WELL below annual inflation and thumb your nose at the same time while eating strawberries at Wimbledon and claiming for a railcard on expenses.

Edited by inflating

And the ECB is almost certain to raise again tomorrow. I'm starting to feel like we are the odd ones out.

Edited by Pent Up

And the ECB is almost certain to raise again tomorrow. I'm starting to feel like we are the odd ones out.

Something's definitely odd when you look around

0.75%? :unsure::blink:

Yeah, that's the bit between the lines

What base rate does the UK need to squash the HPI monster once and for all?

This forum has been banging on about interest rate rises for some time, but it wasn't IRs that triggered the last HPC, it was bank liquidity and credit restriction. The question should be what will the euro bond haircut mean for UK bank's lending practices?

This forum has been banging on about interest rate rises for some time, but it wasn't IRs that triggered the last HPC, it was bank liquidity and credit restriction. The question should be what will the euro bond haircut mean for UK bank's lending practices?

Imagine the two together?... :o

7% saving rate in Poland now.

The Polish Finance minister is pretty smart, he is a LSE economics lecturer (he was born in the UK). I guess he will be dealing with Greece now Poland has taken the EU presidency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Vincent-Rostowski

A real economist as finance minister? Nothing British about that.

This forum has been banging on about interest rate rises for some time, but it wasn't IRs that triggered the last HPC, it was bank liquidity and credit restriction.

What do you mean by 'the last crash'? If you mean the one that started in 2007-8 then we're still in it - the final reckoning has just been postponed by misguided public policy and bailouts.

A real economist as finance minister? Nothing British about that.

What do you mean by 'the last crash'? If you mean the one that started in 2007-8 then we're still in it - the final reckoning has just been postponed by misguided public policy and bailouts.

+1

The last crash was 1988 - 1995ish. This one 2007 - 2014?

http://www.bloomberg...me-in-2011.html

I can confirm that in the cities and nearby suburbs, property prices look ambitious to me yet buyers are still around although anecdotal reports are that their property appetite has lessened of late. What base rate does the UK need to squash the HPI monster once and for all?

:lol: Zyta luv, just phone 00 44 20 7601 4444 and ask for a Mr King, he'll tell you how you can allow the benchmark rate to indeed stay well, WELL below annual inflation and thumb your nose at the same time while eating strawberries at Wimbledon and claiming for a railcard on expenses.

*whoosh*

What was that?

Oh yeah, it was the sound of points going over heads. It doesn't matter what we're mumping calling it. What matters is that this time round it's not consumer demand that's moving the demand curve it's credit supply. Can we stop fretting about IRs and start asking where the next bank liquidity crisis is coming from?