House Price Crash Forum

The Council That Sacked All 6,500 Staff... And Will Only Re-Hire Them If They Agree To Take A Pay Cut

You must be some kind of terrorist or something ;)

I am a QE terrorist. I don't see why we should be printing money to protect high public sector salaries and house prices and make everyone else pay for it.

They should also sack NHS and BBC staff on the same day and renogotiate all their salaries lower as well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good start, but when you're cutting salaries you really need to involve an amount squared so that higher earners lose disproportionally more, eg:

new salary = (old salary) - ((old salary / 1000)^2)

£5,000 becomes £4,975 (loses £25)

£10,000 becomes £9,900 (loses £100)

£20,000 becomes £19,600 (loses £400)

£30,000 becomes £29,100 (loses £900)

£40,000 becomes £38,400 (loses £1,600)

£50,000 becomes £47,500 (loses £2,500)

£100,000 becomes £90,000 (loses £10,000)

£200,000 becomes £160,000 (loses £40,000)

£500,000 becomes £250,000 (loses £250,000)

£1,000,000 becomes £0 (loses everything)

"But chief executive Mr Ryley, who earns £180,000 a year, and 60 senior officers are not contracted to work set hours and are exempt from the proposal."

Says it all really.

Yep.. I'm all in favour of across the board cuts where necessary, but they should be exactly that.

This guy has taken a brave step, and then instantly undermined it by protecting his own selfish interests*. In the current climate senior managers should be handing in their own resignations in protest at the 'terrible' cuts they are being forced to make.. not driving a divide between themselves and the workforce.

* Edit to add: if this is infact true. No mention in the original article. If he's taking a cut as well he should be applauded

Edited by libspero

If the lower paid public sector workers had any sense they would be campaigning for pay cuts instead of against "cuts". Higher the salary higher the pay cut.

They don't seem to understand that those higher paid are protecting their own salaries by cutting jobs at the bottom. It's greed at the higher end that forced budgets up and now jobs at the bottom are going to protect the greedy.

Lower paid public sector workers don't realise who the real enemy is.

A good start, but when you're cutting salaries you really need to involve an amount squared so that higher earners lose disproportionally more, eg:

new salary = (old salary) - ((old salary / 1000)^2)

£5,000 becomes £4,975 (loses £25)

£10,000 becomes £9,900 (loses £100)

£20,000 becomes £19,600 (loses £400)

£30,000 becomes £29,100 (loses £900)

£40,000 becomes £38,400 (loses £1,600)

£50,000 becomes £47,500 (loses £2,500)

£100,000 becomes £90,000 (loses £10,000)

£200,000 becomes £160,000 (loses £40,000)

£500,000 becomes £250,000 (loses £250,000)

£1,000,000 becomes £0 (loses everything)

Can you do another? Add in an extra cut in relation to salaries above £25k

Someone earning £30k i.e. £5k more than the often quoted average of £25k only losing £900 doesn't seem enough of a cut.

Your £500k and £1m are OK.

My gut re-action is that employers should not be able to do this, but then I think that the days of a job for life have gone (for nearly everyone) and they won't be coming back. So to match the realities of the work market employers should be able to reduce wages as well as raise them.

This should be done by every employer (pleb jobs of course)

Every April, simply sack the entire workforce and offer them their old jobs back

at a significantly lower rate. It would get the nation back into fighting fitness

and competitive in no time at all.

I can't see a downside.

* Edit to add: if this is infact true. No mention in the original article. If he's taking a cut as well he should be applauded

One of the comments on the shroppy star says:

The Chief Executive has taken a voluntary 5% cut on top of what is proposed but when he was appointed his pay was increased by 16% compared to his predecessor. I make it that he still has received a net pay rise of 4.6%

i think its a good idea.

and they can eat shit if they think anything else is happening.

id make them re-apply at -20%. no pension unless you get yourself a private one.

the councils and planners, coordinators etc and the yellow jackets are a massive contribution to the general problems of the uk.

Every April, simply sack the entire workforce and offer them their old jobs back

at a significantly lower rate. It would get the nation back into fighting fitness

I can't see a downside.

ha ha me neither :lol:

if they made them redundant how can they rehire them? Its illegal to do that isn't it?

Not if they take volunary redundancy.

If they make them compulsory redundant, they can't hire anyone to do a similar role of any role any of the staff could have done instead for at least 6 months.

Basically I think it's a bluff to try and force a deal.

One of the comments on the shroppy star says:

Interesting... thanks Snatch/Steve.

Can't really blame him for negotiating a good salary (not so sure about the person appointing him). I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt in that case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011657/Shropshire-Council-sacks-6-500-staff-pay-cut-move.html

Does that really mean all staff, or all staff excluding the CE? That's only a £9k cut if it does. Giving them a paltry £171k (approx) to survive on.

It should apply to every good, service and benefit, they buy or pay for.

and yes there should be a sliding scale of wage cuts...... 5% of £150000 is virtually feck all.

Unsurprisingly the CEO of Shropshire Council, Kim Ryley, awarded himself a 16% pay rise, and is now one of the highest paid council CEOs in the country. But it's fine to ask the frontline workers to take a massive paycut, as long as you can stay in your plush office leeching money off the council taxpayers.

Time to cap council CEO's pay to the prime minister's pay at the very most - and make them subject to elections, rather than being parachuted in by their management chums.

Yup. You can guarentee that the CEO's pay has been increasing at double digit or near double digit rates every year, while the low to average worker has seen couple percent pay rises.

Yet when it comes to make sacrifices its a 5% cut across the board. His type disgusts me.

Edited by alexw

Unsurprisingly the CEO of Shropshire Council, Kim Ryley, awarded himself a 16% pay rise, and is now one of the highest paid council CEOs in the country. But it's fine to ask the frontline workers to take a massive paycut, as long as you can stay in your plush office leeching money off the council taxpayers.

Time to cap council CEO's pay to the prime minister's pay at the very most - and make them subject to elections, rather than being parachuted in by their management chums.

It should be capped at minister level salaries. That would make it 134K tops. Of course most should be lower than this since that would be the maximum bound. Say an average of 90-100K, compared to the current average of 190K.

why on earth would they do that if they know they will be rehired on less pay!

Surely they are simply giving all staff notice that they are changing their contracts. If the employee isn't happy with the change then the contact is terminated.

The same way, for example, that changes to pensions will go through.

Surely they are simply giving all staff notice that they are changing their contracts. If the employee isn't happy with the change then the contact is terminated.

The same way, for example, that changes to pensions will go through.

This would be constructive dismissal and a pretty easy win at an employment tribunal. At this point the council will have to pay compensation.

Which ever dingo thought this up should be fired. What they should have done is frozen pay for everyone including the council leader and his 60 bum chums. Maybe if they were decent people the chief exec and cronies should have taken a 50% pay cut.

Before we get over excited, largest group of Local Authority employees will be teachers, second biggest police. Both have national pay scales. So are these groups having a 5.4% cut?

Personally I'm with others on here who think the biggest cuts should be at the hgher end of the pay scales. Someone on here had a good idea a while back: 50% off everything above 30k. Something like that would be better.

This would be constructive dismissal and a pretty easy win at an employment tribunal. At this point the council will have to pay compensation.

Which ever dingo thought this up should be fired.

Couldn't disagree more.

He should be supported and the law amended accordingly if necessary.

I can't see a downside.

You are describing Hong Kong and Taiwan..... except staff are vicious in that they'll jump elsewhere at the drop of a hat... as such 13 month bonuses have to be paid, but contracts rarely last more than 12 months.