House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Been Prescribed Statins (Lol)

Was going to post this in Embarrassing Fat Bodies thread, but anyway, it doesn't surprise me why the NHS costs so much money.

Had a routine blood test, after joining new surgery. Triglycerides 1.1 (V.Good) Total Cholesterol 7.1 (not so good). Doctor showed me a chart showing these results putting me into a higher risk, (partly due to family history) so prescribed statins for six months! blink.gif

The only result that matters to me is the Triglycerides. Which is within normal and fine. Also because I low carb the LDL should be the large "fluffy type" too large to penetrate cell walls and form plaque (I don't seem to get plaque build on teeth anyway). Maybe if there was any risk of heart problems I should insist on a CT scan?

I'm almost tempted to spend money on a a proper (private) blood lipid profile not because the numbers are worrying but because this area fascinates me. But as for the Doctors I'm sure they are on commission. rolleyes.gif

Lets face it Dr's dont make as much money and there would be less need for them if people were healthy. On your cholesterol have you considered getting out in the sun to get some UV-B to start producing some Vit D?

You should see me at the moment. I'm thinking of changing my name to Mr Patel! laugh.gif

I dare not leave the country. I might not get back in.

Was it a fasting cholesterol test you did? And they're not taking it again to double check?

Yup it was a fasting test. Nope no retest for six months.

Also she refused to allow a thyroid test, as my weight loss had slowed. However it would appear her weighing scales worked as it revealed I had lost quite a bit of weight with a BMI of 22. I'm pretty close to my target of 20/21.

Clearly I need to throw my scales in the bin!

Oh my blood pressure was very good too.

I'm not taking the statins.

My own were:

trigylcerides 0.5

HDL 1.2

LDL 2.4

Giving me a total of 3.8

Do you exercise regularly?

You should def see what the retest is. Or go and get it tested again privately...

When she took it last year it was 4.9 which is under the 5 limit BUT she sent me for an ECG as I have a family history of high blood pressure - and had HPB at the time too..

I'm now having 6 monthly checks with her for BP.

My own were:

trigylcerides 0.5

HDL 1.2

LDL 2.4

Giving me a total of 3.8

Do you exercise regularly?

You should def see what the retest is. Or go and get it tested again privately...

When she took it last year it was 4.9 which is under the 5 limit BUT she sent me for an ECG as I have a family history of high blood pressure - and had HPB at the time too..

I'm now having 6 monthly checks with her for BP.

Yup I exercise regularly, walking, cycling some weight training, about 2 hours a day at least. Must have walked 10 miles yesterday, and its quite hilly so the heart gets a good work out. I am getting on a bit too (mid fifties).

Yup I exercise regularly, walking, cycling some weight training, about 2 hours a day at least. Must have walked 10 miles yesterday, and its quite hilly so the heart gets a good work out. I am getting on a bit too (mid fifties).

Do you eat 60 steaks a day?

My OH was total 6.5 and then next test was 5.9 with no real change in exercise/diet - so readings can vary a bit...

Do you eat 60 steaks a day?

My OH was total 6.5 and then next test was 5.9 with no real change in exercise/diet - so readings can vary a bit...

Nope, nothing like. Try and keep to 12 kcal/lb of body weight or 2000 kcal which I'll have lower again as I'm lighter than I actually thought.

However I'm high fat/protein, low carb.

It will be interesting if you achieved those results on a high carb/low fat diet Sarah.

It will be interesting if you achieved those results on a high carb/low fat diet Sarah.

My 3.8? Yes I think so ... I eat a lot of oats and have developed my own super-porridge mixture.

My 3.8? Yes I think so ... I eat a lot of oats and have developed my own super-porridge mixture.

Its why I'm low carb. I think if I was normal carb by lipids and blood sugar would be in the stratosphere. I'd also gain weight very rapidly, regardless of exercise.

Was going to post this in Embarrassing Fat Bodies thread, but anyway, it doesn't surprise me why the NHS costs so much money.

Had a routine blood test, after joining new surgery. Triglycerides 1.1 (V.Good) Total Cholesterol 7.1 (not so good). Doctor showed me a chart showing these results putting me into a higher risk, (partly due to family history) so prescribed statins for six months! blink.gif

The only result that matters to me is the Triglycerides. Which is within normal and fine. Also because I low carb the LDL should be the large "fluffy type" too large to penetrate cell walls and form plaque (I don't seem to get plaque build on teeth anyway). Maybe if there was any risk of heart problems I should insist on a CT scan?

I'm almost tempted to spend money on a a proper (private) blood lipid profile not because the numbers are worrying but because this area fascinates me. But as for the Doctors I'm sure they are on commission. rolleyes.gif

They are on commission. They get money for reaching targets for cholesterol checks [and other things, such as checking blood pressure]. It incentivises them to send patients for cholesterol checks at the least provocation. Especially nice, as things nurses check, such as b.p., give more money to doctors.:o

Who was it said a medical degree is a licence to print money?? Oh! I remember! Me.:ph34r:

They are on commission. They get money for reaching targets for cholesterol checks [and other things, such as checking blood pressure]. It incentivises them to send patients for cholesterol checks at the least provocation. Especially nice, as things nurses check, such as b.p., give more money to doctors.:o

Who was it said a medical degree is a licence to print money?? Oh! I remember! Me.:ph34r:

Thats interesting. Also I've long suspected I'm low on T3 (thyroid). High cholesterol is a symptom of that and weight loss has always been painful and weight gain easy. Other than that I don't possess any of other symptons (feeling cold etc..) . Anyway I'm self prescribing, Niacin (B3), VitC, VitD and upping the carbs a little.

Thats interesting. Also I've long suspected I'm low on T3 (thyroid). High cholesterol is a symptom of that and weight loss has always been painful and weight gain easy. Other than that I don't possess any of other symptons (feeling cold etc..) . Anyway I'm self prescribing, Niacin (B3), VitC, VitD and upping the carbs a little.

Had you thought of asking for Thyroxin?

Just eat iodine rich food, like sea food, some natural yoghurts or even sea salt.

http://www.dailymail...-healthier.html

Yup already got kelp supplements. I did buy Sans T3 supplements a while back but never used as was worried about shutting down any natural T3 production.

I composted my kelp tablets and bought a bottle of Lugol's solution. Purer and a much more useful dose of iodine and iodide.

I composted my kelp tablets and bought a bottle of Lugol's solution. Purer and a much more useful dose of iodine and iodide.

Thanks will give that a try. Not heard of it before. Whilst googling found this Howto video (though its not expensive).

Based on what I've read, iodine/iodide supplementation also needs adequate selenium, salt and vitamin C (Taken away from the iodine as they interact) intake.

Based on what I've read, iodine/iodide supplementation also needs adequate selenium, salt and vitamin C (Taken away from the iodine as they interact) intake.

Entertaining read!

http://www.lugol-iod...upplements.com/

Your whole endocrine system runs on iodine. Iodine and iodide are like gas for your endocrine system. Some years ago, some "illuminati genius" decided it would be great to make everyone weak by lowering testosterone. Why not make them stupid and sick as well with cancer and diabetes? From their point of view, it was a good plan. After all, they saw what people with strong endocrine systems did when they got fed up with ******** (research the NYC Draft Riots of the 1800's). So they removed iodine from bread and milk, told everyone that to supplement with iodine was tantamount to poisoning yourself - and then they did something even worse: they FLOODED our environment and diet with halogen-class metals such as fluoride, bromide, mercury, chlorine, etc. These metals "plug" themselves into the same receptor sites that iodine would normally occupy. Total carnage resulted! Today we have a nation of obese, low-testosterone, borderline-diabetics whose brains are in such a fog they don't even suspect they are on the road to c*ncer.

laugh.gif

+1, glad someone caught this.

There is some target to get people aged 40+ regularly tested and (IIRC) get as many as they can on statins.

Unless you know you are at risk (lardy, eat badly,smoke and drink, history of heart problems in family), dont go for the tests, and dont take the damn statins.

Sorry if I sound like I've veered into TFH territory here. If it helps me to seem less nutty: I work for a pharma company in a medical role.

There is some target to get people aged 40+ regularly tested and (IIRC) get as many as they can on statins.

Unless you know you are at risk (lardy, eat badly,smoke and drink, history of heart problems in family), dont go for the tests, and dont take the damn statins.

Sorry if I sound like I've veered into TFH territory here. If it helps me to seem less nutty: I work for a pharma company in a medical role.

This is another scandal that hasn't become scandalous yet, and when it does will be "unexpected."

I do take statins, have done ever since a cva 8 years ago. Should I give them up? My cholesterol was at 4.1 last time it was tested, and I've heard that statins only make a very small percentage difference to your chances of heart disease/stroke, the largest indicator being your genetic inheritance [ which is South West of Scotland for me :(]

Edit: Of course, I don't want you to tell me what to do, though I would value your opinion.

I honestly cant tell you what to do Bossybabe, for all sorts of reasons. All I can say is if you do take them, make sure there is a genuine reason, not just to meet some gubberment target, and that you and your doctor have discussed all the risks of taking them vs not taking them. No drug is risk free or side effect free.

A more natural way to reduce Cholesterol is simply to go out in the sun and get a tan.

So exercise outdoors is the thing and eat loads of vegetables?

Sounds like every fat unhealthy person should be given an allotment on prescription?