House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blod

Will Lord Patten Trim The Bbc.

Daily Mail.

BBC Trust chairman Lord Patten will announce a bloodbath of the bureaucrats today which will see him slash almost two thirds of the corporation's senior manager roles.

The former Governor of Hong Kong will make a dramatic move to end the 'toxic' culture of executive pay at the BBC by reducing the number of top bosses from about 550 to just 200.

The move will stun the BBC's army of senior bosses, most of who have no idea that the cuts would be so drastic. But Lord Patten believes it will finally start to address public fury about the number of corporation staff on six figure salaries.

I know its the wail but I'll be looking out to see if he does announce these cuts. We live in hope.

Edited by Blod

Daily Mail.

I know its the wail but I'll be looking out to see if he does announce these cuts. We live in hope.

Get in. I want to buy in North London. I reckon this should clear out Hampstead Garden Suburb and part of Muswell Hill!

It would be mint if this was true. If they had indicated this would be done in advance Guardian TV would have had time to make a fuss, so Patten may as well just cleave the axe straight in. Let them strike - this is just 350 jobs we are talking about, and I bet most of them are despised within the organisation anyway.

I bet one of the shrill whines will be that such cuts are homophobic, considering that being metrosexual seems to be a basic requirement for getting ahead in the BBC management structure.

I bet one of the shrill whines will be that such cuts are homophobic, considering that being metrosexual seems to be a basic requirement for getting ahead in the BBC management structure.

Metrosexual = gay?

I though it just meant supposedly straight blokes who spend a lot of time and money on skincare and get all excited about designer cushions.

If they can do without 2/3 of the bosses then why not remove them? I do wonder why they need 200 even to be honest. I would like to see them all listed to be enlightened as to what these jobs actually are. And I mean listed in English, not Newspeak.

Metrosexual = gay?

I though it just meant supposedly straight blokes who spend a lot of time and money on skincare and get all excited about designer cushions.

I think it means straight blokes who are gay.

So they are not to produce any new content but spend their time on idol housekeeping, whilst retaining most of the costs depriving the public of the service that they've paid for.

Looks like another example of the Washington Monument Syndrome .

Not quite a "bloodbath":

A significant number of the 550 are likely to lose their jobs while others will be stripped of the title of ‘senior manager’. When they eventually leave the person that replaces them will be paid significantly less than their predecessor.

... and...

It is understood the BBC cannot force existing senior managers to have their pay cut while they are doing the same role.

We could use more of the former Hong Kong British leaders over here.

It's possible to contruct a lot of interesting counterfactuals about Chris Patten. John Major has written that had Chris Patten not lost his seat in 1992 (despite running the successful Tory election campaign) then he would have become the next Chancellor. Allegedly there were cheers in Conservative Central Office when Patten lost his seat which is an indication of the madness that consumed the party in the 90s.

Had Patten survived, the Major cabinet would have been much stronger and may not have gone down to such a crushing defeat. Patten would have been the leading contender for the leadership so we could have seen a much stronger opposition to Blair in the early years and maybe a change of government a lot sooner.

That's what it usually means.

union ballot - strike - anger - back down - printy printy

For once I'd like to see someone with the balls to go through with proper cuts, they'd be idolised by future generations.

Catherine Zeta Jones, she dips beneath the lazers o O O

She has entrapped me and Sean Connelly o O O

Catherine Zeta Jones, she dips beneath the lazers o O O

She has entrapped me and Sean Connelly o O O

That has to be one of the most cryptic references I have ever seen. Is the mis-spelling of 'Connery' part of the quiz?

Why doesn't Patten just sack all the BBC execs who were bribing police and hacking our phones instead?

Edit: Vauxhall have now pulled funding of Murdoch.

Patten might want to hand on a few weeks - there may not be any Murdoch press by then for him to hand the BBC over to.

Edited by Red Karma

As someone who freelances for the BBC (among others) I can assure you that nothing will change the person with the "Senior Bi-Media Development officer" job will get the "Senior HD-Media Cross Development Officer" Job ..

The BBC is hilarious organization, I was told by a producer within the BBC that only 37% of the licence fee goes on programming. And the number of staff involved in program making is less than 10%.

The best thing that could happen to the BBC is a long protracted strike .. The reason is that most of the production staff are on 6 month rolling contracts .. so they won't strike .. so the programming will continue but without the silly overheads and "PPM's" (Programm prevention officers) who shove their noses into every aspect of the process ..

Of course the bugger would be that it would be very hard to get paid without the accountants .. But I'm I'm not sure it can get any worse than it is at the moment ..

In order to get his freelance crew paid a producer has to put in an emergency request for a purchase order .. (a non emergency request takes four weeks so now every PO is an emergency)

The crew have to invoice ..

Then on the last day of the month the producer has to call the accounts department and put EVERY invoice through as an emergency payment .. for a crew of 30 this takes half a day .. If he didn't do it then the payments would take 3-4 months to come through .. and he would lose his crew ..

The BBC will not change anytime soon ..

union ballot - strike - anger - back down - printy printy

For once I'd like to see someone with the balls to go through with proper cuts, they'd be idolised by future generations.

Why on earth would the unions strike over this?

These are the 'fatcats' union workers despise. They'll get no support from them.