House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Breast Implants Only Last 10 Years

link

Reversing earlier statements that breast implants are completely safe and never have to be replaced, the Food and Drug Administration now says many women who have implants must have them removed or replaced within a decade.

According to the agency, new research data from a long-term study found that the implants should be examined every 10 years because they were at risk of rupturing, and that some are linked to a rare form of cancer.

"The key point is that breast implants are not lifetime devices," Jeff Shuren, director of the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, told Reuters. "The longer you have the implant, the more likely you are to have complications."

The agency says there were some 400,000 breast enhancement or reconstruction surgeries in the U.S. alone last year, making it the number one cosmetic surgery procedure in the country. Breast implant and augmentation surgery is followed in popularity by nose reshaping, eyelid surgery, liposuction and abdominoplasty (tummy tucks).

The FDA banned silicone gel-filled implants in 1992 after some women complained they leaked and caused some chronic illnesses. The health regulatory agency approved silicone implants made by Allergen and Johnson & Johnson's Mentor division for use again in November 2006.

Then, the agency said it approved the silicone-filled implants only "after rigorous scientific review" that the agency said took years.

"FDA has reviewed an extensive amount of data from clinical trials of women studied for up to four years, as well as a wealth of other information to determine the benefits and risks of these products," Daniel Schultz, M.D., director of the agency's Center for Devices and Radiological Health. The extensive body of scientific evidence provides reasonable assurance of the benefits and risks of these devices. This information is available in the product labeling and will enable women and their physicians to make informed decisions."

Now, however, the agency is singing a different tune.

Implants "are not lifetime devices," adding that "the more likely she is to experience complications," with one in five women who have implants "will need them removed within 10 years of implantation."

Oops. You silly vain women aren't going to enjoy hearing this.

EDIT: My sincere condolences and apologies to any woman who've had replacements due to breast cancer or other ailments and injuries. Surely the last thing you want to hear now.

I had a few guys email me about one lady on a dating site warning me that she was looking for a bloke to pay for her replacement boobs.

I dated a woman with fake boobs a few years back and she was keen that I pay for the replacements once the 10 years was up.

It is a 'danger' that blokes have to take into account when dating nowadays.

Great business for the surgeons though.

Definately a financial commitment guys need to take into account when considering dating a woman with fake boobs.

It can go one of two ways;

*Someone has to stump up around 5k everytime they need replacing.

*She takes them out and doesn't replace them and you're faced with a pair of empty crisp bags.

I had a few guys email me about one lady on a dating site warning me that she was looking for a bloke to pay for her replacement boobs.

I dated a woman with fake boobs a few years back and she was keen that I pay for the replacements once the 10 years was up.

It is a 'danger' that blokes have to take into account when dating nowadays.

Great business for the surgeons though.

The trick is getting in and out at the right time :)

What about the health to any kids that might pop along?

Fake boobs just shows a women has some sort of inferiority complex about herself induced by peer pressure and media pressure.

Do you really want to hook up with women like this?

One other comment, when a women breastfeeds, as the milk teeth of kids dont go til around seven, breast feeding for longer than the 6month norm in this country will ensure her breasts stay fuller for longer.

I can't stand fake boobs. I'd rather date a woman with small boobs than have to look at those rigid lumps of crap on the womans chest. And as just said, a woman who has them must lack confidence or common sense. I am thankful that this stupid craze from America is not as popular in the UK.

I always thought it was 7 years, I know this because I know this...

I remember watching some stupid day time TV when a woman who had such an enhancement was surprised at the need to change them so often.

That said I do know a Chinese girl who had them ten years ago original silicone ones and they became quite hard and you could feel the edges of them....

But tbh she was so incredibly flat chested she looked like a boy.

I can't stand fake boobs. I'd rather date a woman with small boobs than have to look at those rigid lumps of crap on the womans chest. And as just said, a woman who has them must lack confidence or common sense. I am thankful that this stupid craze from America is not as popular in the UK.

jodie-marsh-awi.jpg

Fancy a shag luuuve...

To be fair its her nose that bothers me more.

jodiemarshrex.jpg

Now im generally NOT a fan of tattoos on women, but in her case, if she can go from this

PICT1713.jpg?1284041460

to this...

http://dennisgable.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/most-tattooed-man1.jpg/img]

Might just be an improvement.