House Price Crash Forum

Wine Alcohol Strength 'systematically' Understated On Labelling

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/05/wine-alcohol-strength-understated

Wine drinkers suffering an unexpected hangover after what they thought was a moderate drink may have just found someone else to blame but themselves.

A study of the alcohol content of 129,000 wines from vineyards across Europe and the new world over a 16-year period has suggested that many vintners have been "systematically" understating their wines' strength on labels.

The American Association of Wine Economists found that 57% of the wines analysed were stronger than declared on the label. The average alcohol content was 13.6% when the average reported strength was 13.1% according to the biggest study of its kind undertaken yet. It was based on imports into Ontario, Canada, one of the few places to test the alcohol content of every incoming wine. Bottles from Chile, Argentina and the US were the worst offenders overall, but all of the wine-making countries analysed, including France, Italy and Spain, on average underplayed alcoholic power. Just under a third of the wines overstated their alcohol content and these were typically the weaker bottles.

A new excuse for Monday morning sorry I thought the wine was only 13% when in fact it was 13.6%, you can't trust anything nowadays.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

On some bottles it says : try to have one or two alcohol free days a week...

Do we need telling that?

( rarely drink these days)

i always try but i tend to always end up paying for it.

ZING. :)

HOLA446
HOLA447

Once when i was young and stupid I drunk six pints, drove home, got stopped, got breathalized, was found to be below the limit :lol:

Either i have a very useful talent, fosters overstate their alcohol levels, or the pubs near me severely water down their beers.

Though i did see an article in the Daily Mail (yeah, i know the mail) a few months back where one little women was found to be above the limit at 1.5 pints, some old guy only after 4.5 pints. So i think for a big guy like me, 1 or 2 pints is probably a little on the conservative side. Certainly, my driving is far worse when im trying to read a map or answering the phone than after a couple of pints.

Thats a long time ago though, Im a good boy now, none of that nonsense nowadays. :D

HOLA448

Once when i was young and stupid I drunk six pints, drove home, got stopped, got breathalized, was found to be below the limit :lol:

Either i have a very useful talent, fosters overstate their alcohol levels, or the pubs near me severely water down their beers.

Though i did see an article in the Daily Mail (yeah, i know the mail) a few months back where one little women was found to be above the limit at 1.5 pints, some old guy only after 4.5 pints. So i think for a big guy like me, 1 or 2 pints is probably a little on the conservative side. Certainly, my driving is far worse when im trying to read a map or answering the phone than after a couple of pints.

Thats a long time ago though, Im a good boy now, none of that nonsense nowadays. :D

Should have been sent down just for drinking Aussie p1ss..

HOLA449

Archived