House Price Crash Forum
drrayjo

Build Your Own Affordable Home

Way to go Shropshire?

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/housing.nsf/viewAttachments/CFAW-8J9E2T/$file/single-plot-information-pack-march-2011.pdf

Build your own affordable home

Shropshire Council positively encourages local people to build their own affordable home to meet their own housing needs.

This innovative policy allows those who can demonstrate a housing need and strong local connection to an area the opportunity to build their own self-financed affordable home.

The affordable home has a maximum internal floor area of 100 square metres and is subject to a Section 106 legal agreement prescribing local occupancy criteria and restricting the potential future sale value to around 60% of open market value.

Any proposed site has to be in a recognised settlement and deemed suitable by Development Management. After this, a further verification process takes place to asses a household's individual needs, local connection and inability to secure suitable alternative accommodation in the local area.

Looking to build one anyway but it's hard to get the right plot. You drive round & there is loads of land out there that could take the odd house here & there.

Looking to build one anyway but it's hard to get the right plot. You drive round & there is loads of land out there that could take the odd house here & there.

Sounds very interesting, would love to know how this deal works financially

I am a plumber and electrician so would be very interested if this went national

I jus get "Sorry, this page cannot be found". I'm in Shropshire, so would be interested...

Basically, you find a plot and then make an application through this process and the the planning regulations are incredibly relaxed

Basically, you find a plot and then make an application through this process and the the planning regulations are incredibly relaxed

Erm, no, all this policy means is that it is potentially possible to build a house on a plot where it would normally not be possible to build, but you have to jump through many hoops and restrict the house's size and future resale.

This innovative policy allows those who can demonstrate a housing need and strong local connection to an area the opportunity to build their own self-financed affordable home.

The affordable home has a maximum internal floor area of 100 square metres and is subject to a Section 106 legal agreement prescribing local occupancy criteria and restricting the potential future sale value to around 60% of open market value.

Any proposed site has to be in a recognised settlement and deemed suitable by Development Management. After this, a further verification process takes place to asses a household's individual needs, local connection and inability to secure suitable alternative accommodation in the local area.

Incredibly relaxed? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: NEXT ACT!!

I'd be amazed if more than a handful go through in the next 5 years.

(I'm a resident of Shropshire. And no I won't be taking "advantage" of this.)

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

Thanks. So basically you still get screwed 100k for a postage stamp sized plot. Isn't that the problem already. Build costs are affordable. It's land that screws us all. Don't the council realise this?

Erm, no, all this policy means is that it is potentially possible to build a house on a plot where it would normally not be possible to build, but you have to jump through many hoops and restrict the house's size and future resale.

Incredibly relaxed? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: NEXT ACT!!

I'd be amazed if more than a handful go through in the next 5 years.

(I'm a resident of Shropshire. And no I won't be taking "advantage" of this.)

+ 1

"M'Lords" making serfs jump through fecking hoops. Fecking b@stards.

An acre of land costs about £10k. We should be allowed to build homes - shelters FFS - on it. :angry:

In the past decade the famous Highland clearances spread to the whole country, and most people think this is just "normal"! Unfeckingbelievable.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

I went past some self build plots in Milton Keynes the other day, they have built some of the ugliest houses I have ever seen. Obscene McMansions on steroids, they make american houses look small.

If this is the example of what happens with self builds then god help us.