House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Olympic Gold-Landlords

Citywire has an article that landlords are lining up expiry dates on rentals to olympics and planning to jack up their prices. Not sure what the locals will be doing? More likely its a bit of ramping.

Citywire has an article that landlords are lining up expiry dates on rentals to olympics and planning to jack up their prices. Not sure what the locals will be doing? More likely its a bit of ramping.

Dumb tactic.

People will move elsewhere (if they can't afford it they can't afford it), they rent out the place for a month due to the games. House is empty for years.

During the final week of 1999 people with flats overlooking the Dome will be able to let them for £50k that week .

That was the line given by Estate Agents during that year . I never heard of one person who did.

How's that going to work.

If the tenant doesn't leave on the day you will need a court order, and by the time you have it the games will be over.

tim

There were people saying you could rent your house out for the Ryder cup week for thousands of pounds to rich Americans if you lived near Newport. Don't think any of it actually happened. Remember, also, the eclipse about a dozen years ago - hotels in the SW put up their prices to massive amounts - and hardly anyone went as they didn't want to be ripped off.

I suspect the same will happen with the Olympics - big hype, prices up and hardly anyone buying - transport, accomodation, souvenirs etc.

Y

From what I've been told I don't want to be anywhere near any of the Olympic venues, either in business or domestically. Moving around London with an extra 800,000 people trying to travel each day is going to be a bloody nightmare. If you have a flat in docklands rent it out for a fair rent and go on holiday for the duration.

People simply don't seem to comprehend what is going to hit them in 2012. Roads where you get fined massively for getting in the wrong lane. Traffic jams that are city wide day after day. Local food shortages as deliveries cannot get through in the day or the night. Lorries with drivers out of driving hours. Every spare coach in Europe drafted in to move people around the venues. Every portaloo in the UK hired to cope with the crap ~ don't believe me? Glastonbury won't be held in 2012 due to the portaloo shortage caused by the Olympics. Winning the right to stage the games was the biggest act of collective lunacy this country has indulged in since Diana's funeral.

From what I've been told I don't want to be anywhere near any of the Olympic venues, either in business or domestically. Moving around London with an extra 800,000 people trying to travel each day is going to be a bloody nightmare. If you have a flat in docklands rent it out for a fair rent and go on holiday for the duration.

People simply don't seem to comprehend what is going to hit them in 2012. Roads where you get fined massively for getting in the wrong lane. Traffic jams that are city wide day after day. Local food shortages as deliveries cannot get through in the day or the night. Lorries with drivers out of driving hours. Every spare coach in Europe drafted in to move people around the venues. Every portaloo in the UK hired to cope with the crap ~ don't believe me? Glastonbury won't be held in 2012 due to the portaloo shortage caused by the Olympics. Winning the right to stage the games was the biggest act of collective lunacy this country has indulged in since Diana's funeral.

I'm inclined to agree, and don't you just love the embarrassing logo. :angry:

Makes us Brits look like a joke.

. Winning the right to stage the games was the biggest act of collective lunacy this country has indulged in since Diana's funeral.

I remember thinking on the day, the emphasis was on `winning' the right, and also on the French `losing' - cheering in Trafalgar Square and the French getting p***** off. .

We should have celebrated victory for a few hours and then said `Actually, we've changed our minds, we don't want the games - we'll let the French do it!'

Y

Spot on, and I'm glad I'll be avoiding it.

Edited by cheeznbreed

What did you expect from Ken the Insane?

In the year before the Ryder Cup in Newport, Gwent, there was much talk of houses being able to be rented out for tens of thousands per week.

After the Cup was over plenty of people were moaning that all the promised incomes never materialised.

In the year before the Ryder Cup in Newport, Gwent, there was much talk of houses being able to be rented out for tens of thousands per week.

After the Cup was over plenty of people were moaning that all the promised incomes never materialised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10401058

"Websites are charging homeowners to advertise their homes for let to Ryder Cup tourists for up to £30,000 a week despite almost non-existent demand."

EDIT: I'm sure there was some ex-sportsman involved in this Ryder Cup rentals nonsense, HPC challenge for the day is to find out who it was.

EDIT2 Alix Popham, that was 'im.

Edited by cheeznbreed

I'm sure if you own a place nearby it can be done.

Like wimbledon. Rent it out for a couple of weeks while you go on holiday and make enough to pay for the holiday.

But rental houses are not like hotels, and for good reasons. Kicking out a tenant so you can make a few K is stupid.

Probably better to say to the tenant, "How about I allow you to sublet for those two weeks and we split the profit". tenant would make enough for a cheap package holiday somewhere nice. Landlord would get their share as well.

Of course people are too arsey/stupid to come to sensible arrangements like this.

It is going to be a nightmare for the City banks in Docklands. Poor sods will have to up their day rates to contractors to get people in. Permie staff will walk across to another bank for extra money.