House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Pay Gap Between Public And Private Sectors 'widens'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14028848

The pay gap between workers in the public sector and those in the private sector has widened, statistics show.

Public sector employees were paid 7.8% more on average than private sector staff in April 2010, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

This was a bigger gap than the 5.3% difference in 2007, the figures show.

Other benefits such as bonuses and pensions could alter the gap. The ONS added that many lower skilled jobs had been outsourced to the private sector.

Clearly the public sector is unsustainable, and it's interesting to see that low paid work has been outsourced no doubt further widening the gap whilst the troughers keep troughing.

Not surprised.

Makes sense given the outsourcing.

Not sure what it proves. If all that's left is middle management and upper management then the average is going to be higher.

Number of employees would help us more.

One stat that was interesting was "Public sector high-flyers are paid 6% less than those at the top of the private sector"

Only 6% less. That's not much diference at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14028848

Clearly the public sector is unsustainable, and it's interesting to see that low paid work has been outsourced no doubt further widening the gap whilst the troughers keep troughing.

There is a subtle spin there:

"The gap in average pay between workers in the public sector and those in the private sector has widened."

From this wording (like in the recent controversy about public sector pensions) many will conclude: "But the solution is not to reduce public sector workers' salaries, but to increase private sector workers' salaries! We shouldn't have a 'race to the bottom' "!

It should be instead something like:

"Tax-payers are made to pay on average higher salaries to public sector workers than the salaries they get themselves."

On a Fivelive phone-in last week Teachers and other public sector workers were adamant that they deserved better pensions because they are paid worse than private sector workers.

Does of reality - not!

On a Fivelive phone-in last week Teachers and other public sector workers were adamant that they deserved better pensions because they are paid worse than private sector workers.

Does of reality - not!

I wonder what they teach at school?

Actually I know some of the tosh. Global warming to seven year olds, getting them to be more green so the teachers don't have to.

That said, yet another reminder of just how bad public sector pay is out if control. We are one nation badly in need of a state default, so we can once again have a nation that offers the best pay in the private sector.

"In 2010, some 38% of workers had a degree or equivalent qualification in the public sector, compared with 23% in the private sector.

Comparing the pay of these graduates flips the pay gap around, with public sector workers earning 5.7% less than those in the private sector"

I'm not surprised that none of the public sector bashers on the thread didn't mention this part of the report. :P

Edited by jaynewcastle

"In 2010, some 38% of workers had a degree or equivalent qualification in the public sector, compared with 23% in the private sector.

Comparing the pay of these graduates flips the pay gap around, with public sector workers earning 5.7% less than those in the private sector"

I'm not surprised that none of the public sector bashers on the thread didn't mention this part of the report. :P

Oh I see, the public sector steals all the "talent." laugh.gif

There is a subtle spin there:

"The gap in average pay between workers in the public sector and those in the private sector has widened."

From this wording (like in the recent controversy about public sector pensions) many will conclude: "But the solution is not to reduce public sector workers' salaries, but to increase private sector workers' salaries! We shouldn't have a 'race to the bottom' "!

It should be instead something like:

"Tax-payers are made to pay on average higher salaries to public sector workers than the salaries they get themselves."

Good idea - lets just double everyones salary and we'll all be wealthy.

Duh! Why did'nt I think of that before.

that's smaller than the pension gap, plus there has been a tendency to sponsor employees in the public sector to get qualifications (masters and chartered status) that has seemed to me to be more prevalent than in the private sector - so the weaker staff in public sector versus equivalents in privatye sector may well tend to have more degrees (etc) and bring the salary measure down

Edited by Si1

On the contrary, most of the graduates I have encountered have been talentless, just have an air of entitlement that they are worth more,

it appears they are

Does of reality - not!

for 20 odd years before 2006 yes, but not since. Especially outside the South East.

I think it's more to do with the lack of decent paying private sector alternatives.

for 20 odd years before 2006 2003 yes, but not since. Especially outside the South East.

corrected from my own experience

corrected from my own experience

I think it will also depend on what type of work you're comparing. I'm sure someone will provide a clever link outlining the overall comparison/trends.

I think it will also depend on what type of work you're comparing. I'm sure someone will provide a clever link outlining the overall comparison/trends.

oh indeed, of course statistical comparisons always have alternative views and bases

one interesting take is on promotion-creep - where private sector staff were stuck in a non-promotion rut for years and years whilst public sector staff got promoted year on year in the expansion of management jobs, which complicates side-by-side comparisons

one interesting take is on promotion-creep - where private sector staff were stuck in a non-promotion rut for years and years whilst public sector staff got promoted year on year in the expansion of management jobs, which complicates side-by-side comparisons

Indeed plenty of people here who've benefited from simply being at the right place at the right time, for sure.

In theory you can earn good pay rises just doing the same job in the private sector (pre crunch), whilst in the public it's just the next step on the grade (no matter how well you've done). You've got to be pretty bad however not to go up in the grade, so swings and roundabouts depending on your point of view.

Edited by PopGun

I wonder what they teach at school?

Did you see the damning picture recently? I was in one of the local rags in Manchester.

It said dow [sic] with the Governmant [sic] :lol:

Is the average salary in the UK still 24k??

Wonder how much this is skewed by public sector workers?? :unsure:

Or by the rise in Benefits rates ,when many working folk have not had a rise.

I think it's more to do with the lack of decent paying private sector alternatives.

I think it's ridiculous that the private sector treats its staff with such contempt and low wages. . . .

I think it's ridiculous that the private sector treats its staff with such contempt and low wages. . . .

I think it's ridiculous that the public sector treats taxpayers with such contempt and low service. . . .

I think it's ridiculous that the public sector treats taxpayers with such contempt and low service. . . .

schools provide free education (and child minding) Health service provides free health care. . . . . just take these two services away and the private sector struggles. you're welcome to my contempt and 'low service'.

The vast majority of private sector business provide products or services to the many in a competitive environment,

wages and benefits are restricted by the prices of competitors.

It is naive to think raising wages is that simple.

The only difference with the public sector is that the consumer/population has no choice, there is only one local council, LEA, Doctors, street cleaners etc etc,

if it did have competition its' efficiency would be tested in just the same way and judging by comments on this forum and my own personal experience I don't think most of the public sector departments most of us have experience with would last 5 minutes without having to change