House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Experts Worried That Property Bubble In France Set To Burst

Something else to consider: rents are significantly higher in France than UK (in equivalent towns).

Sure about that, Frenchy?

I find that hard to believe. Any stats . . . average wage/rents/town . . . ???

Even a campsite in England is more expensive than in France. In my experience, of course.

Sure about that, Frenchy?

I find that hard to believe. Any stats . . . average wage/rents/town . . . ???

Even a campsite in England is more expensive than in France. In my experience, of course.

I was looking for a rental place in France recently, and everything seemed to be at silly (ie, UK) prices and rented out by Brits with the usual Hyacinth Bouquet type restrictions on children, dogs, smoking, breathing, etc. Even for pokey places miles from anywhere. Plus some sites had breathy introductions like 'Geoff and Silvia discovered their beautiful Gascony hideaway while on holiday from their teaching jobs and decided to stay. It is a real home from home as they intend to retire there and no expense has been spared on decor' (ie, twigs in a vase, white carpet and some mouldy old beams showing).

I was looking for a rental place in France recently, and everything seemed to be at silly (ie, UK) prices and rented out by Brits with the usual Hyacinth Bouquet type restrictions on children, dogs, smoking, breathing, etc. Even for pokey places miles from anywhere. Plus some sites had breathy introductions like 'Geoff and Silvia discovered their beautiful Gascony hideaway while on holiday from their teaching jobs and decided to stay. It is a real home from home as they intend to retire there and no expense has been spared on decor' (ie, twigs in a vase, white carpet and some mouldy old beams showing).

You describe it so well, it's truly nauseating.

But that's holiday rental anywhere.

I assumed Frenchy meant an apartment in Toulon, say, compared to Portsmouth. Or haven't I been paying attention?

I rent a house in England on a one rear rolling tenancy, snip

very close to the landlord, I suspect you have penetrated the market fully.

You describe it so well, it's truly nauseating.

But that's holiday rental anywhere.

I assumed Frenchy meant an apartment in Toulon, say, compared to Portsmouth. Or haven't I been paying attention?

That is correct, Toulouse compared to Bristol (same industries etc.) and similar distances from work.

Similarly you would compare London to Paris. I only have experience of Lyon, Grenoble (where I've had 2 BTL for 15yrs), Toulouse (where I have lived and worked) and Bristol/Portsmouth (where I have lived and worked). In all cases the rents I paid / am paying in the UK have been less than in France by more than the exchange rate.

Having said that converted at todays rate (down 30% thanks to Merv) the gap between has probably narrowed.

And I am not talking only about rent but also yield: so either UK rent goes up or UK prices come down.

Prices in the area of France that borders on Geneva have risen very sharply in the last 2-3 years due to the strong Swiss franc and low interest rates.

No signs whatsoever of that changing anytime soon.