House Price Crash Forum
rentforlife

Depressing House Price News From Horsham

Value change over

RH13 Zed-Index* 3 months 6 months 12 months

£332,446 +£8,862 (2.74%) +£15,450 (4.87%) +£1,313 (0.4%)

Avg. price paid

£318,141

(over last 12 months) No. of sales

(over last 12 months) Turnover

17.6%

(% of homes sold in last 5 years)

This is really depressing news for me & backs up what I see in every estate agents windows in town that prices still going up.

Would have been so different if BoE had got off their arses & done something about interest rates.

This is really depressing news for me & backs up what I see in every estate agents windows in town that prices still going up.

Would have been so different if BoE had got off their arses & done something about interest rates.

I'm a Horsham boy too and totally agree with you.

When I tell my parents about what a mess the country is in they call me "doom and gloom", because as far as they're concerned the good times are still rolling!

I don't use those HP sites. Isn't zoopla considered unreliable?

I'd have thought it totally unreliable. I looked at their predicted prices a few months ago. They are based on previous sold prices indexed to current levels. So, if a forced seller sells a house for £250k, and his neighbour who is not in such a hurry sells exactly the same house for £300k, the first house will ALWAYS be worth less according to Zoopla :blink:

Even worse, if the owner of a £300k house decides to list it at £600k for a few weeks, this will drive up the Zoopla predicted price even though no sale takes place!

Hello all, I've just moved to Horsham, fantastic town. We're renting in the centre of town but looking to buy in the next year-ish.

I know this is sad, but I was looking at the Horsham listings on RM and noticed many SSTC properties being relisted as available (thanks property bee). In fact, so many so that I went back and counted them all. See what you make of this:

Search area Horsham only, any property, £350k-£325k.

Results returned: 124 available and SSTC properties. Available only properties were 57. Therefore there were 124-57 = 67 SSTC properties. Of those 67 SSTC properties I counted 55 have become available again, infering collapsed sales, the vast vast majority of those got changed in early October.

So either there's been a huge turnaround (for the worse) in buyer sentiment suddenly at the beginning of October or Rightmove had some sort of clear-up or something of that nature.

The Zoopla indecies, for what they're worth, all show healthily negative too, as another poster has pointed out.

Sorry, the price range above should read £250k - £325k. And I'll work out how to edit posts one of these days too.

Oh no, the competition! Horsham is my destination of choice, at exactly that budget. :(

I have to say I'm not exactly seeing much downwards movement in price. Anything priced remotely well with the following spec (3 bed semi/detached, garage or off street parking within a mile of the station) sells easily. In fact, of the six properties I viewed so far, all four matching that spec sold within a week of being listed. That's not to say sales aren't falling through at SSTC stage, but they quickly get snapped up again by somebody else.

There's me trying to work on a negotiating tactic to drive the price down, whilst most people seem happy to drop a couple of k off the asking price at most. Truly frustrating!

Oh no, the competition! Horsham is my destination of choice, at exactly that budget. :(

I have to say I'm not exactly seeing much downwards movement in price. Anything priced remotely well with the following spec (3 bed semi/detached, garage or off street parking within a mile of the station) sells easily. In fact, of the six properties I viewed so far, all four matching that spec sold within a week of being listed. That's not to say sales aren't falling through at SSTC stage, but they quickly get snapped up again by somebody else.

There's me trying to work on a negotiating tactic to drive the price down, whilst most people seem happy to drop a couple of k off the asking price at most. Truly frustrating!

Sorry about that me old! Having said that we'll need another six months or so of deposit saving to be able to buy here, so maybe we're talking different timescales.

All said and done it's a thriving town with lots going for it, and just about commutable to London so prices are probably as 'low' as they'll get, I agree. The only saving grace is that mortgage rates are so low that if you have enough of a deposit, buying is only marginally more expensive than renting (we're paying £825 PCM at the moment in Carfax)

We're looking at exactly the same sort of property as you, we liked some of the streets around Denne Road...few minutes to both town and countryside, 10-15 min walk to station (aka building site!), seemed to be the only area where you can get proper houses with parking and gardens and yet be almost in the town. (Madeira Avenue doesn't count due parking!)

You're way ahead of us in terms of viewings, as we haven't started looking properly yet. We've only been here a month so far so very new to area and still working out what is where. Haven't bought a house since 2005 so not looking forward to the prospect much....good luck with your search....see you in the Black Jug or Piries if you fancy an ale.

Woobs

I wouldnt put too much emphasis on local figures unless you happen to know the number of sales is definitely into double figures.

Also most estate agents arent exactly statistical geniuses so they probably dont try to account for the size of house vs sale price.

Sorry about that me old! Having said that we'll need another six months or so of deposit saving to be able to buy here, so maybe we're talking different timescales.

All said and done it's a thriving town with lots going for it, and just about commutable to London so prices are probably as 'low' as they'll get, I agree. The only saving grace is that mortgage rates are so low that if you have enough of a deposit, buying is only marginally more expensive than renting (we're paying £825 PCM at the moment in Carfax)

We're looking at exactly the same sort of property as you, we liked some of the streets around Denne Road...few minutes to both town and countryside, 10-15 min walk to station (aka building site!), seemed to be the only area where you can get proper houses with parking and gardens and yet be almost in the town. (Madeira Avenue doesn't count due parking!)

You're way ahead of us in terms of viewings, as we haven't started looking properly yet. We've only been here a month so far so very new to area and still working out what is where. Haven't bought a house since 2005 so not looking forward to the prospect much....good luck with your search....see you in the Black Jug or Piries if you fancy an ale.

Woobs

Have you looked at North Horsham (not Roffey obviously)? I quite like the area around Littlehaven station. Still close to rail links and much better value than other parts of town..

Have you looked at North Horsham (not Roffey obviously)? I quite like the area around Littlehaven station. Still close to rail links and much better value than other parts of town..

No, I haven't given the area much attention to be honest. I really like being able to just walk into town, or being in town, but of course finding a family house (garden, parking etc) in such a location is hard. Denne road area looks promising but it's a small area.

I don't know anything about Roffey....one to avoid?

I don't live in Horsham myself, but everything I have ever heard from people that do is that you want to avoid Roffey.

North Horsham (Littlehaven) is certainly a good bit cheaper than the old town. I have friends who recently purchased a 3 bed detached (with garage) for 240k just a few minutes walk from Littlehaven station. I admit that not many properties of that specification go for that sort of price, but it certainly shows how much cheaper it can be.

We're looking at exactly the same sort of property as you, we liked some of the streets around Denne Road...few minutes to both town and countryside, 10-15 min walk to station (aka building site!), seemed to be the only area where you can get proper houses with parking and gardens and yet be almost in the town

When I first explored on Horsham on foot to get an idea of the residential areas, the area south of the town centre (Causeway/Denne Road) was the area which first appealed to me. I've been property hunting for 12-18 months (seriously for the last few months) and one thing I can state is how rarely property comes up in this vicinity. If you look at this property http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20674293.html, assuming you have property bee installed you can see how quickly it moved from available to SSTC (less than a week). The property is nice enough (albeit a little close to the railway line for me), but to sell that quickly shows how popular that type of property/area is.

It's funny you should mention the pubs (yet to try Piries), as that's the only thing I think which lets Horsham down. The Black Jug is certainly my favourite of the ones I've ventured in so far.

All the best with your search! :)

No, I haven't given the area much attention to be honest. I really like being able to just walk into town, or being in town, but of course finding a family house (garden, parking etc) in such a location is hard. Denne road area looks promising but it's a small area.

Roffey is rough in Horsham terms so is better avoided-nowhere as bad as what would be considered rough in other parts of the country but certainly not the part of town one would aspire to live in. The same applies to Broadbridge Heath and parts of Southwater.

Having moved from Horsham earlier this year after living there for many years,I tend to share the pessimism of the OP regarding the possibility of an imminent HPC.Things did slow down considerably following the 2008 crisis and some areas,certainly in the North of Horsham, appeared to be approaching what I would describe as fair value in 2008-2009, but the market has picked up significantly since.

What is your budget?There was a nice 5 bed detached in North Horsham that was on the market for ages at 360k before being withdrawn. From what I recall, the vendors were quite desperate to sell but for some reason it hasn't been re marketed since.I can PM you the details if you want to approach the vendors directly.