House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PeanutButter

Guidance And Advice Request: Where To Buy?

I need to buy a flat for my mother. It needs to be ground floor with a bit of outdoor space, under 125k, near a train station (under 2 hours from London) and not need a lease renewal or major work (bit of painting/carpets is ok). I'm in SW London and I can tell you it's driving me crazy. I had an offer accepted on a place in Billingshurst but got gazumped two days later.

Any advice on narrowing down the search would be appreciated because the search area is just too big for me. I've been looking at Tunbridge Wells, Eastbourne, Seaford, Billingshurst, Horsham, Brighton/Hove, Bournemouth - even as far as Bridport. But of course, I don't know these areas well so I'm spending all my weekends driving around trying to get a feel for them. It's doing my head in.

I need to buy a flat for my mother. It needs to be ground floor with a bit of outdoor space, under 125k, near a train station (under 2 hours from London) and not need a lease renewal or major work (bit of painting/carpets is ok). I'm in SW London and I can tell you it's driving me crazy. I had an offer accepted on a place in Billingshurst but got gazumped two days later.

Any advice on narrowing down the search would be appreciated because the search area is just too big for me. I've been looking at Tunbridge Wells, Eastbourne, Seaford, Billingshurst, Horsham, Brighton/Hove, Bournemouth - even as far as Bridport. But of course, I don't know these areas well so I'm spending all my weekends driving around trying to get a feel for them. It's doing my head in.

For that money it will generally be a one bed, a two at a push. Crawley is actually ok has good transport links easy into london. Prices are relatively low in comparrison to some of the other areas you mention. there good bits and bad bits. it has its problems but to be honest they are often over-hyped. Haywards heath is nicer but will be a little mor etricky to get what you want.

What about Banbury. fast rail link (1hr 15mins) to london and on the mainline so lots of trains, like this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34293509.html

Walking distance to trains, shops and pretty safe area! Or this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28854139.html

I lived in Banbury for 4 years and still have a house there. Great location, great little town with all facilities. Great transport.....would recomend it. Also nice place to spend a weekend for yourself.

Careful about that 2 hours from London bit, as depending on where you get in to london you can easily be adding on a lot of additional time and expense getting where you want to go.

Pewsey and Andover seem to be pretty cheap, right out in the countryside but only 1 hour or so from Town, hospitals miles away though - is that going to be a consideration?

Living in SW London I'm wary of the Gatwick flight paths around Crawley but it's worth a look, thanks for the input. Are there parts that are better than others?

Banbury sounds good - like that it's pretty safe as she's in her 70s, but I'm trying to keep the search south of the M4 as she's got to make trips to Guildford Hospital quite regularly.

Careful about that 2 hours from London bit, as depending on where you get in to london you can easily be adding on a lot of additional time and expense getting where you want to go.

Pewsey and Andover seem to be pretty cheap, right out in the countryside but only 1 hour or so from Town, hospitals miles away though - is that going to be a consideration?

Good point. Should have said 2 hours from Waterloo/Victoria/Clapham Junction really. Hospital nearish would be good, not that she's about to expire but she's had chemo in the last year. Andover seems to tick the boxes though. Do you know it?

Good point. Should have said 2 hours from Waterloo/Victoria/Clapham Junction really. Hospital nearish would be good, not that she's about to expire but she's had chemo in the last year. Andover seems to tick the boxes though. Do you know it?

A contact in the Hampshire education authority I knew told me there are coded messages in the childrens assessments referring to Andover.

GFA (I think, it was a while back) is Good for Andover, but if questioned they have another explanation.

OK your mum won't be going to school but still..........

A contact in the Hampshire education authority I knew told me there are coded messages in the childrens assessments referring to Andover.

GFA (I think, it was a while back) is Good for Andover, but if questioned they have another explanation.

OK your mum won't be going to school but still..........

Oh dear. Well you may have saved me a tank of petrol. Any ideas for alternatives?

Used to live in Andover - and left quickly!! Chav central, full of London overspill council estates (mass exodus from Walworth in the 60s/70s) which are now full of single Mums working out which way to get the most benefits and struggling to name the fathers of their children etc etc Outlying villages very nice but not so easy for station and on my more limited experience of Pewsey and that area all seemed very pleasant with good rail service.

Born and bred in Sussex - the places you mention you will struggle to get a decent flat/area on that budget IMO unless you are looking at retirement places which then in turn have high annual charges. Or wait a bit for prices to drop in the nicer areas - although waiting may not be an option for you depending on yours Mum's circumstances.

Places like Seaford which whilst very nice the train journey would necessitate a couple of changes on the London route which may get harder for your Mum if her health deteriorates or as she ages? Eastbourne has chavvy parts but also nice areas with good facilities - hospital leaves a bit to be desired though.

Friend in Pease Pottage just outside Crawley and no noise from aircraft there - think Charlwood and Horley suffer a lot with it - she loves the area and the facilities of Crawley (shops, theatre etc) - avoid Broadfield and Bewbush but not sure on rest of Crawley.

Used to live in Andover - and left quickly!! Chav central, full of London overspill council estates (mass exodus from Walworth in the 60s/70s) which are now full of single Mums working out which way to get the most benefits and struggling to name the fathers of their children etc etc Outlying villages very nice but not so easy for station and on my more limited experience of Pewsey and that area all seemed very pleasant with good rail service.

Born and bred in Sussex - the places you mention you will struggle to get a decent flat/area on that budget IMO unless you are looking at retirement places which then in turn have high annual charges. Or wait a bit for prices to drop in the nicer areas - although waiting may not be an option for you depending on yours Mum's circumstances.

Places like Seaford which whilst very nice the train journey would necessitate a couple of changes on the London route which may get harder for your Mum if her health deteriorates or as she ages? Eastbourne has chavvy parts but also nice areas with good facilities - hospital leaves a bit to be desired though.

Friend in Pease Pottage just outside Crawley and no noise from aircraft there - think Charlwood and Horley suffer a lot with it - she loves the area and the facilities of Crawley (shops, theatre etc) - avoid Broadfield and Bewbush but not sure on rest of Crawley.

Worth and Maidenbower in Crawley are very nice, Pound Hill is niceish and Three Bridges is OK..Its only 35 mins on the train to London Bridge from Three Bridges and although its a good 20 min walk from Maidenbower/Worth, there is a fairly good bus service that gets you there in 5 mins. For the OP's budget, he's looking at 1 bedders in Maidenbower or Worth but there are plenty of properties on the market in the 125-150k range and with the way the market is, they may well be open to offers.

Horsham may also be worth looking at..much nicer than Crawley, has an excess of OAPs :lol: and is around 50-55 mins on the train into London. Also, Guildford is only 20 miles away. I`ve just had a look and there is plenty of choice (1 bedders) in the 125-150k range, some of which are quite convenient for Horsham/Littlehaven stations. Steer clear of Broadbridge Heath (rough and far away from the station) and Roffey (chav central) though..

Edited by thirdwave

Worth and Maidenbower in Crawley are very nice, Pound Hill is niceish and Three Bridges is OK..Its only 35 mins on the train to London Bridge from Three Bridges and although its a good 20 min walk from Maidenbower/Worth, there is a fairly good bus service that gets you there in 5 mins. For the OP's budget, he's looking at 1 bedders in Maidenbower or Worth but there are plenty of properties on the market in the 125-150k range and with the way the market is, they may well be open to offers.

Horsham may also be worth looking at..much nicer than Crawley, has an excess of OAPs :lol: and is around 50-55 mins on the train into London. Also, Guildford is only 20 miles away. I`ve just had a look and there is plenty of choice (1 bedders) in the 125-150k range, some of which are quite convenient for Horsham/Littlehaven stations. Steer clear of Broadbridge Heath (rough and far away from the station) and Roffey (chav central) though..

Maidenbower looks well-positioned for transport but also looks like a pretty soulless collection of houses on GoogleMaps, not even a corner shop or a garage shop.

Or did I miss something?

Maidenbower looks well-positioned for transport but also looks like a pretty soulless collection of houses on GoogleMaps, not even a corner shop or a garage shop.

Or did I miss something?

I think it`ll be fair to say that people do not choose to live in Maidenbower for its character :lol: It does have a coop, doctors/vets, Boots etc and the big Tescos is not far away. The soulless nature of it aside, it is safe, has a half decent sec school (Oriel) and I don't think you'd find anywhere cheaper less than 40 mins commute from London.Knowing your requirements, its also very convenient for Gatwick (just 4 miles up the road)

I'd go for Horsham or immediate area, good access to Guildford, decent shopping and as other poster points out a lively OAP population :)

Also Godalming, Haslemere & Petersfield are worth looking at too - all nice places , good links to Guildford and far cheaper. Easy drive to SW London too along the A3. Not too sure what a 1 bed flat costs though.

I'd go for Eastbourne. It is actually quite nice with lots of decent houses, a good, clean beach, and backing onto open downland. It also has a bit of character. It is maybe a bit quiet for some (Brighton it ain't) but that might suit others. You should be able to get a decent flat in decent areas like Meads or Upperton for less than 125k.

The advantage Eastbourne has over other places mentioned in this thread is that it's quite far from London for commuting purposes, so it doesn't have commuter prices, but it's still less than 2 hours away.

I'd go for Eastbourne. It is actually quite nice with lots of decent houses, a good, clean beach, and backing onto open downland. It also has a bit of character. It is maybe a bit quiet for some (Brighton it ain't) but that might suit others. You should be able to get a decent flat in decent areas like Meads or Upperton for less than 125k.

The advantage Eastbourne has over other places mentioned in this thread is that it's quite far from London for commuting purposes, so it doesn't have commuter prices, but it's still less than 2 hours away.

Good call - we visited Eastbourne and really liked the atmosphere (and the smell of lavender talcum powder).

In fact, we put in an offer of 125k on a 1 bed in Old Town last week. Was refused on the basis that they wanted the full 129,950 asking price. Agent told me a previous sale on the place fell through because a surveyer came back saying it wasn't worth more than 127-128k. Seriously, I don't know what sellers are thinking. It's not as if they bought the place at the top in 2007 - they'd still be making money at 125k.

So now we've upped the budget and are looking at 5 places around Dorking/Leatherhead on Sat. I can't believe how long and painful this has been.

Good call - we visited Eastbourne and really liked the atmosphere (and the smell of lavender talcum powder).

In fact, we put in an offer of 125k on a 1 bed in Old Town last week. Was refused on the basis that they wanted the full 129,950 asking price. Agent told me a previous sale on the place fell through because a surveyer came back saying it wasn't worth more than 127-128k. Seriously, I don't know what sellers are thinking. It's not as if they bought the place at the top in 2007 - they'd still be making money at 125k.

So now we've upped the budget and are looking at 5 places around Dorking/Leatherhead on Sat. I can't believe how long and painful this has been.

Just had another refusal of 138k on a 145k flat. I'm clocking up the red Xs here.

I think it`ll be fair to say that people do not choose to live in Maidenbower for its character :lol: It does have a coop, doctors/vets, Boots etc and the big Tescos is not far away. The soulless nature of it aside, it is safe, has a half decent sec school (Oriel) and I don't think you'd find anywhere cheaper less than 40 mins commute from London.Knowing your requirements, its also very convenient for Gatwick (just 4 miles up the road)

Er - is this story an isolated incident, or indicative of the area...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-14745520