House Price Crash Forum

Murdoch,wade,coulson &mulcair

HOLA441
HOLA442

Putting aside possible alleged criminality, what kind of numpty allegedly working in a senior role in the Media authorises payments to Police officers not realising that such alleged bribery is illegal punishable by serious jail time?

Oh, and does it, allegedly, via email?

Rebekah Wade/Brooks told the commons committee that the NOTW had paid the police for information. She clearly didn't realise the implications of what she was saying and Coulson quickly intervened to `clarify'. You can get situations where illegal or unethical behaviour becomes so deep rooted in a culture that the individuals stop thinking of it as such - it becomes the norm.

Then to express outrage and ignorance when the illegal and unethical behaviour crosses another line into being disgusting and shocking cuts no ice. Wade can't (or shouldn't be allowed to) claim that she wouldn't have allowed that phone hacking when she sanctioned other phone hacking.

Also heard the woman in charge of the PCC on R5 this morning. Her position is that they couldn't have done anything because NI lied to them. Nicky Campbell tried to find out which individuals specifically had lied and she wouldn't say - got very defensive - wouldn't even say who she'd had meetings with. Absolutely pathetic woman.

Y

HOLA443

Rebekah Wade/Brooks told the commons committee that the NOTW had paid the police for information. She clearly didn't realise the implications of what she was saying and Coulson quickly intervened to `clarify'. You can get situations where illegal or unethical behaviour becomes so deep rooted in a culture that the individuals stop thinking of it as such - it becomes the norm.

Then to express outrage and ignorance when the illegal and unethical behaviour crosses another line into being disgusting and shocking cuts no ice. Wade can't (or shouldn't be allowed to) claim that she wouldn't have allowed that phone hacking when she sanctioned other phone hacking.

Also heard the woman in charge of the PCC on R5 this morning. Her position is that they couldn't have done anything because NI lied to them. Nicky Campbell tried to find out which individuals specifically had lied and she wouldn't say - got very defensive - wouldn't even say who she'd had meetings with. Absolutely pathetic woman.

Y

Yes, that video from 2003 is incredible.

I am amazed that no one picked up on it before now - were politicians so afraid of the Murdoch empire that nothing was done?

If you listen to the video one MP on the committee hesitantly questions, almost in disbelief, what she just said but then the bloke sitting next to her - is that the Coulson guy - says something along the lines of it being alright to pay the money. Then the committe moves on to something else. I am amazed that they were not arrested and questioned within 24 hours.

I can't believe that people can get to such high positions in life without knowing that paying money to Police is a serious criminal offence. But then, as you say, such things can become so engrained in an organisational culture that people come to believe it - of course, that is no excuse nor defence.

Putting on my amateur shrink hat, I do wonder about the narcissistical personality disordered types, who often are attracted to and achieve positions of importance in organisations, as one characteristical trait of narcissistical personalities is that they believe the rules do not apply to them and that they are above the laws that apply to the little people.

Obviously, I am not suggesting for a moment here that any of the people involved in this are narcissitical personality disorder individuals.

Listening to the media now you can hear lots of blustering from numerous journos trying to make out that such payments were commonplace and therefore somehow legal - what rot. Offering money to a Police officer is a bribe and bribes are a serious crime punishable by serious jail time.

I am shocked that both Wade and Coulson have not yet been arrested and questioned over what they said in 2003 - they admitted paying money to Police Officers.

There are clearly political rammifications here that go to the heart of Govt and our democracy. Would not surprise me to see this bringing down this Govt.

As for the PPC lady - yes, there have been serious failings by the PPC IMPO re all this but, as it is now clearly a criminal matter with the criminal process taking its course, she legally cannot say anything as, if she did, any future trial or trials could be thrown out of court.

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA444

Archived