House Price Crash Forum
ScrewsNutsandBolts

1400 Jobs To Go At Bombardier In Derby

Another sad decline of a great industrial powerhouse in the UK. I bet it's very hard for foreign companies to win traain contracts in France/Germany/Italy. IMO, trade barriers going up is inevitable - will take a good few years to get there though, long after UK industry has been decimated, if it hasn't already.

"Would you like fries with your P45?" :(

i can vouch that house prices aren't adjusting accordingly what with this and toyato and egg etc.

its wages that kill this stuff.

Imagine, you can make a whatever it is anywhere in the World.

the cost of making the thing is largely made up of two components ( as in any business)...the cost of labour and the cost of premises.

If labour needs to support World record high housing costs, and landlords demand top dollar, then its not hard to see the jobs will go somewhere where these items are cheaper...could even be the US.

its wages that kill this stuff.

Imagine, you can make a whatever it is anywhere in the World.

the cost of making the thing is largely made up of two components ( as in any business)...the cost of labour and the cost of premises.

If labour needs to support World record high housing costs, and landlords demand top dollar, then its not hard to see the jobs will go somewhere where these items are cheaper...could even be the US.

If the US can put in place Tort reform and the republicans really gut a lot of environmental regulations.. the US is actually looking like a great place to manufacture again.

Dirt cheap land, cheap oil, cheap electricity, hardworking creative workforce, medium wages because the workers can have cheap food and cheap housing, also private sector unions in America are nearly a thing of the past.

In the UK companies are looking at rising energy costs in our fight against global warming, high oil costs, very high rents, and high wages just so people can pay the landlords and friends like food cartel.

Brits are forced to pay the rentiers an extortianate amount of their income. But foreigners thinking of which product to buy on the international marketplace are not going to pay those extra costs.

Greater Manchester's economy is showing some positive signs for future growth, but rising costs and inflation is making the picture increasingly uncertain, according to the latest Manchester Monitor.

And yet the governement and idiotic BoE is not concerned about inflation being high, they say if they interfere it will impact upon the recovery!

What f**ing recovery. I see more and more lay offs each day. The banks, manufacturing, retail. All big names with huge redundancies and going into administration in some cases.

When will the policy makers learn that artifically propping up one small sector of the economy (building) and stubbornly refusing to increase interest rates to get inflation down, is actually killing off what little business we have left.

Are they all retarded? (serious question please do answer)

When will the policy makers learn that artifically propping up one small sector of the economy (building) and stubbornly refusing to increase interest rates to get inflation down, is actually killing off what little business we have left.

Are they all retarded? (serious question please do answer)

It's actually about propping up the banking sector, support for property prices is part of the support for the banks as a price crash in conjunction with defaults on loans would be a catastrophe for the British banking system which is already on taxpayer funded life support. Almost certainly beyond the capacity of the government to bail out again.

It is not about wages - German trains are built in Germany, French ones in France.

This is about rubbish weak politicians controlled by bankers who see the UK as a place to milk so they can cream off service charges and commissions.

It is not about wages - German trains are built in Germany, French ones in France.

This is about rubbish weak politicians controlled by bankers who see the UK as a place to milk so they can cream off service charges and commissions.

Spot on

That's a relief, I heard it was going to be 2000.

nah ...thats how many new German jobs Siemens are creating

estimated knock on to 12000 subsidiary and suppliers jobs in the Midlands also at risk ....

nah ...thats how many new German jobs Siemens are creating

estimated knock on to 12000 subsidiary and suppliers jobs in the Midlands also at risk ....

Siemens were a customer of mine, via their office in Staines, Middlesex. One of their telephonists used to answer the phone "Good afternoon, Siemens, Staines" :D.

No worries, the staff can all move into the Coffee Serving Industry, that's going just fine...

Whitbread sales lifted by Costa Coffee

Total sales at its coffee chain in the last three months were 22.5% up on a year ago, pushing group sales up 9.2%.

Costa was boosted by the opening of 73 new branches during the period, as well as new customers joining its loyalty scheme.

We don't need manufacturing jobs any more, people need to re-train and make coffee, there's a league of Latte sippers out there just waiting to have another £4 coffee served up.

Isn't the simple fact that they lost a large order to a German company telling enough ?

They may me able to make trains cheaper in Germany as the average German worker doesn't need to spend half his salary on a mortgage.

The Bombardier UK chief keeps saying that this is the 3rd consecutive contract that the DfT have placed elsewhere. What were the others? What is the gen on all of this? Why are they going abroad?

Reckon the problem is all down to everyone pronouncing the name in a french accent. Can't work in Derby like that...

what about the cost saving in this. we dont know all the figures. for example.

1400 jobs @ average salary of £35k = £49 million a year.

the contract was for £3 billion.

if the cost savings were significant you may even have saved enough money to pay those 1400 people 35k a year to do nothing, have better trains, and still have money to spare.

The Bombardier UK chief keeps saying that this is the 3rd consecutive contract that the DfT have placed elsewhere. What were the others? What is the gen on all of this? Why are they going abroad?

The previous one was the awarding of the IEP (HST replacement) contract to Hitachi, the one before that is not quiet so clear but presumably is the additional trains for eurostar (to siemens) but that is not entirely a DfT contract. those are the 2 contracts that are signed but production has not started. If they look back before that the javelin contract to Hitachi was the last one not to be awarded to Bombardier or Siemens

Bombardier Europe are very strong on trams, underground (they have another 3 years of TfL (LU) work to keep them going) and anything with a max speed of upto 100mph, diesel up to 125mph but haven't really traditionally got contracts for above 100mph electric trains.

Not getting the eurostar (3rd choice) or IEP (2nd choice - again an interesting one as DfT moved the goal posts but had to ensure the original bidder hitachi won). The Thameslink contract should have been much near Bombardier home turf.

It is not clear is Siemens whether Siemsn will make a profit on this or whether it is to ensure they effectively win most contracts ad infinitum.

DfT want to move to a situation where it chooses several train designs but 1 per catergory (i.e. 1 high speed intercity design, 1 longer distance / outer suburban / regional / rural and 1 inner suburban) for period of 10 years to get some scale economic benefits.

Bombardier has had a very good last 10 years and now not so good

Reckon the problem is all down to everyone pronouncing the name in a french accent. Can't work in Derby like that...

PMSL. I was well confused when I heard them talking about it on the news.

Thank f**k I'm not the only one thinking that. Colleagues, friends and family have grown mortally sick of me yelling "BOMB-BER-DEER" at the tv / radio every time I hear somebody pronounce it otherwise. I don't frankly give a toss about the etymology or even if the CEO wants to pronounce it the french way: this is a British company. If you want special treatment by the British government stop f**king with a perfectly good British name. :angry:

As Battery Sergeant Major 'Shut up' Williams would have said "it's bomb-ber-deer luvely boy!"

Proof of @ 3:15 ! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBV0M8c9Pqo

Edited by Sledgehead

Thank f**k I'm not the only one thinking that. Colleagues, friends and family have grown mortally sick of me yelling "BOMB-BER-DEER" at the tv / radio every time I hear somebody pronounce it otherwise. I don't frankly give a toss about the etymology or even if the CEO wants to pronounce it the french way: this is a British company. If you want special treatment by the British government stop f**king with a perfectly good British name. :angry:

Bom-bar-dee-ay, bom-bar-dee-ay, only a load of wallies would want to fight Napoleon...

Was the tv ad for Whitbread bitter?

...this is a British company. If you want special treatment by the British government stop f**king with a perfectly good British name. :angry:

WIKI:

Bombardier Inc. (French pronunciation: [bɔ̃baʁdje]) is a Canadian conglomerate, founded by Joseph-Armand Bombardier as L'Auto-Neige Bombardier Limitée in 1942, at Valcourt in the Eastern Townships, Quebec.