House Price Crash Forum

This should be a corker of a series with huge losses and one or two break evens and may finally offer a reality check to Joe Public

Is anyone still interested in this tired old show?

I caught one on the endless repeat channels on Sky the other day - two young girls, one was American, doing up a terraced cottage in Lincolnshire.

It was priceless. They were sold the property as having an attic room. Which it did. Someone had cut through the main timber ties to create a 'room' without reinforcing the roof at all, and it had sagged.

They went in there and started tacking tongue and groove pine to the underside of the rafters. (No concerns about ventilation or fire!) Anyway, building inspector came along and said, NO, NO, NO! - you need to get a structural engineer to tell you what to do to fix the roof.

They asked their builder as they did not want to pay someone who knows what they are talking about to tell them what to do and then pay a builder to do it. The builder (being a complete dipstick who thinks he knows everything) used some metal ties (the sort you use to tie wall plates down to brickwork) to strut the rafters down onto the ceiling joists at 45 degrees. Now a piece of steel 25mm x 6mm is very strong in tension but in compression it is useless. You can bend it simply by leaning on one end.

Building inspector came along and, to his credit, did not laugh in their faces. But did tell them it was a load of tosh.

Anyway, it was the same old story. Property had gone up 29k but Sarah reckoned it would have gone up 25k if they hadn't touched it.

They worked like dogs and lived like pigs (in a tent on the first floor with no kitchen or bathroom, through winter, for five months) and were set make 4k. Sarah asked 'has it been worth it'. 'Yes' the girls replied, they had learnt so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair they sold it for more than the agents said so they made 9k.

It's interesting to watch this. Its mass hypnosis and mass stupidity. There seems to be an endless list of people willing to work like dogs and live like pigs by renovating property, for the benefit of the next person who buys it, for NOTHING.

Strange old world.

And to make thngs worse some quit their £40k/year jobs to do it so they actually make losses but no one seems to see it this way.

I didn't actually think we were going to get another series. I would guess that apart from those interested, the majority of the public are probably tired of this type of programme.

I will watch this series though.

Watch Sarah Beeny.

She's a hell of a lot sharper than your average BTL idiot, and in a completely different league to Kirstie.

A year ago SB was warning "amateur" property developers that most of their profit had come from inflation, not from the work they had done.

This series could make for very good TV...

Edited by BandWagon

Watch Sarah Beeny.

She's a hell of a lot sharper than your average BTL idiot, and in a completely different league to Kirstie.

A year ago SB was warning "amateur" property developers that most of their profit had come from inflation, not from the work they had done.

This series could make for very good TV...

Wonder what the punters would make of it, if she told them that she wouldn't touch the market with a barge pole!

<_<

There was one on Sky yesterday - a couple & they had a baby at the end ... victorian cottage cost them 375k and they spent 82k and the estate agents said 432k average ... Looked nice but they'd ended up moving the kitchen and leaving a fairly useless study/utility room.

Sarah Beeny presents a series in which homeowners around the country develop their properties with the aim of making money. Amiya Kagalwala and Tracey Hamilton have ambitions to retire by the age of 35 and try property development to achieve their aim. But when Tracey falls pregnant, the DIY approach is shelved in favour of recruiting some professionals, although Amiya is reluctant to leave them alone to do the job.

(Don't ya just love the radio times)

So the falls and losses have been happening...

I for one love the show, I'm a little ashamed to admit it but some of my desire to watch came from knowing there's a slight chance that these amature developers might fall on their faces. My most memorable show is where two sisters bought a 1930's style art decor house. Anyone who watches the show will remember the hideous decor.

I for one love the show, I'm a little ashamed to admit it but some of my desire to watch came from knowing there's a slight chance that these amature developers might fall on their faces. My most memorable show is where two sisters bought a 1930's style art decor house. Anyone who watches the show will remember the hideous decor.

I remember that one...didn't they both give up thier jobs and sell their homes to pour money into the project. Then one of them broke all the renovation rules by getting too involved in the decor and started spending hundreds of pounds on wall tiles for the downstairs loo.

I seem to remember the house was also valued for a lot less than they expected but did we ever find out if the actually sold the house and if so how much moeny they lost? <_<

I remember that one...didn't they both give up thier jobs and sell their homes to pour money into the project. Then one of them broke all the renovation rules by getting too involved in the decor and started spending hundreds of pounds on wall tiles for the downstairs loo.

I seem to remember the house was also valued for a lot less than they expected but did we ever find out if the actually sold the house and if so how much moeny they lost? <_<

Yep, that's the one.

The reason I like Sarah is because she at least to me seemed to give good advice. Don't personalise on the decor too much, don't spend more then you have to, and don't rely on a rising market to save you.

I'd love to know if that house ever sold and what happened to those two sisters.

The problem is that although the series starts this week, it's already been filmed. I expect you to be posting on Tuesday, what does she mean rising market, when was this made.

It much more likely to fill us with anger that it doesn't reflect the current market and is still ramping property development.

That was the Poole Sisters, the first of the last series, and certainly the absolute high point of the whole series. Beautiful 1930s Deco house near the corner of Sandbanks Road and Marina Drive, Poole - architecturally wrecked suntrap bay, extra rooftop terrace and bedroom, hugely expensive loo tiles, and the interior all tarted up in pink. Although this had muppetry of the highest order, and was hugely entertaining, it marked a change in the show away from developing and towards a reality-TV type ridiculing the ‘participants’. She continued the new trend in the strangely weird ‘Streets Ahead’, so I’ve really no idea where the new series is likely to go … :lol:

The problem is that although the series starts this week, it's already been filmed. I expect you to be posting on Tuesday, what does she mean rising market, when was this made.

It much more likely to fill us with anger that it doesn't reflect the current market and is still ramping property development.

I reckon you are spot on, this series will see a lot of punters simply breaking even

;)

They havent changed the name to "Property Down-escalator" yet? Why not?

Because ladders can be walked down as well as up.

So "property ladder" works both ways... :)

Propety ladder is the only decent property show. Sarah is realistic in her advice, and realistic in the money they have made.

I shall enjoy this series, and most will probably have lost money. I don't like it when there is no mention of what they sold it for, or what rent they are actually getting - I expect a lot of this in this series.

Anyhow, I expect you will all discuss it!