House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

British Gas Scam?

Hi All

Have just signed the contract for our new rented place, and we move in later this week. Slight overlap between properties so that we're not doing everything on one day.

However, at the moment the new place is being cleaned, yet today the cleaners were approached by two men (apparently from British Gas) who said the gas supply to the property was about to be cut off due to non-payment from the previous tenants.

I got home to discover all this, and the wife has spoken to BGas to 'sort it all out' i.e. make sure they know that the unpaid bill isn't ours, and co-incidently has signed up with BG as our supplier. Now it may be that i've spent too long on HPC with my foil hat... but this seems awfully suspect doesn't it? I mean, how likely is it that on day 1 of a new tenancy, the BG heavies turn up with some made-up tale about an imminent cut-off, and suggest we phone their number to sort it all out.. and thus sign up to a contract with them...

The good news is that my wife didn't commit to 12 months or any length, and even if she did, we've still got the 7 day cool off period... So i'm not worried about getting out of using them as supplier - I'm more concerned about what I think is very underhanded tactics - has anyone ever heard of this before?

Hi All

Have just signed the contract for our new rented place, and we move in later this week. Slight overlap between properties so that we're not doing everything on one day.

However, at the moment the new place is being cleaned, yet today the cleaners were approached by two men (apparently from British Gas) who said the gas supply to the property was about to be cut off due to non-payment from the previous tenants.

I got home to discover all this, and the wife has spoken to BGas to 'sort it all out' i.e. make sure they know that the unpaid bill isn't ours, and co-incidently has signed up with BG as our supplier. Now it may be that i've spent too long on HPC with my foil hat... but this seems awfully suspect doesn't it? I mean, how likely is it that on day 1 of a new tenancy, the BG heavies turn up with some made-up tale about an imminent cut-off, and suggest we phone their number to sort it all out.. and thus sign up to a contract with them...

The good news is that my wife didn't commit to 12 months or any length, and even if she did, we've still got the 7 day cool off period... So i'm not worried about getting out of using them as supplier - I'm more concerned about what I think is very underhanded tactics - has anyone ever heard of this before?

They would only get details from the letting agent. I know that ours must be on some sort of bung scheme because we get a letter every month telling us that if we sign up with xxx the we save money and there is no hassle at the end of the tenancy.

Bg cant be the cheapest for gas but they can compete on electricity, they may well be cheapest for dual fuel. Work it all out and see what serves you best rather than doing what I would and telling them to feck off just because they deserve it.

British gas unveils a five-fold jump in profits –just weeks after hitting it's customers with double-digit price increases.

The Centrica-owned provider has revealed full year profits have rocketed from

95 million to 576 million that's an increase of 500% and this is just its residential arm.

Centrica as a whole have seen their profits rise 40% from 1.39 Billion to 2 Billion.

The price rises by the energy companies in the last few weeks are not just unjustified they're blatant profiteering says the Competition Commission.

They have raised their prices across the board by 15% and using as an excuse the increase in wholesale prices, but energywatch says when you're the companies that set the wholesale price as well as sell it to the British consumer you can use this excuse at you leisure.

If you remember last year, wholesale energy prices fell dramatically but this decrease was never passed on to the British consumer.

An Energywatch statement confirms that energy companies are creaming off extra profits for as long as they are allowed to get away with it.

Chief executive, Allan Asher, said: "We believe there should be a Competition Commission inquiry into whether there is a cartel at work. Consumers have had enough of the relentless profiteering from energy companies.

"They deserve to know that the Government is going to put a stop to this relentless greed "

The GMB union are also complaining that while Centrica is making a killing, the company is claiming poverty and is planning to close its final salary pension scheme

for all its staff.

A spokesman from Unite commented "this is taking greed to all new heights" and British gas customers must be tearing their hair out at the scale of these so called profits.

Ebico: Fair price gas and electricity

Hi All

I had this in 2006 / 2007. BG use intimidation tactics to try and get you to pay the previous occupiers unpaid bill. Of course I didn't but I got threatening letters from them / their pond life debt collectors for about 18 months including a mock summons :rolleyes: . I suspect many less savvy people just pay up which is what these crooks want.

My advice is make sure you secure your paperwork showing you started a new contract from a particular date - which from what you say is the same as your moving in date. That with your tenancy agreement might make them look rather silly if this ends up in the SCC.

I had this in 2006 / 2007. BG use intimidation tactics to try and get you to pay the previous occupiers unpaid bill. Of course I didn't but I got threatening letters from them / their pond life debt collectors for about 18 months including a mock summons :rolleyes: . I suspect many less savvy people just pay up which is what these crooks want.

We had the same problem in one of our stop-gap rentals. I'm sure it affects renters more so than owner occupiers as the latter are less inclined to just walk away from their debts. Annoyingly, Mrs Posh paid the defaulters bill when the mock bailiffs started turning up - nearly £400 I was well stressed over it and when a further bill for £9k of unpaid business rates dropped through our letter box I thrust it under her nose and asked if she was going to pay that as well, or the orange bill etc etc she didn't.

Maybe we should do a poll to see how many people on here have been bothered by previous renters defaults. Another reason i'm pro-homeownership but not at today's prices.

We had the same problem in one of our stop-gap rentals. I'm sure it affects renters more so than owner occupiers as the latter are less inclined to just walk away from their debts. Annoyingly, Mrs Posh paid the defaulters bill when the mock bailiffs started turning up - nearly £400 I was well stressed over it and when a further bill for £9k of unpaid business rates dropped through our letter box I thrust it under her nose and asked if she was going to pay that as well, or the orange bill etc etc she didn't.

Maybe we should do a poll to see how many people on here have been bothered by previous renters defaults. Another reason i'm pro-homeownership but not at today's prices.

The house in question I bought. The previous owner had run up £300 of unpaid bills.

On the day I moved in I rang BG and set up an account giving them meter readings. Then from another dept about a week later I get a bill demanding £300 as the occupier. So I rang them up and explained suggesting they pursue the guy who used to own the house. Despite this the letters kept coming plus threats to disconnect / take me to SCC. They would have looked like right tw@ts if they had!

Interesting, very interesting!

Last week a letter came to my address from British Gas, but with someone else's name on it.

Sent it back unopened with return to sender, person not known at this address.

This week received another letter with the same name on it from British Gas so this time I opened it.

"Thank you for choosing us as a gas supplier and we will be switching you over on the 9th August"

Phoned them up and the lady at the other end sounded very unconcerned.

Told me not to worry etc, admin mistake and thank you.

She did not want my name or contact details to confirm this so called mistake.

After reading this thread my naturally cynical mind has decided this was deliberate.

I'm going to phone them up today to make an official complaint.

I will post on how I got on.