House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

42% Efficient Solar Cells

I think the cost per watt is more important than efficiency per se. If they can produce solar panels that produce 1 watt per £ cost then there could be mass adoption. Stick a massive conventional leisure battery in, and you could meet most of a house's electrical demands, maybe only clicking the grid in when you want to boil a kettle while the washer is on. I've got some solar powered outbuildings, and the battery only needs topping up from the mains a couple of times in winter despite a relatively small panel.

It's more like £3 per watt at the mo, so some way to go.

Yup, they have had super efficient solar cells since forever. The only place they use them is on satellites since you could buy 100x as many less efficient ones for the same price.

I think the cost per watt is more important than efficiency per se. If they can produce solar panels that produce 1 watt per £ cost then there could be mass adoption. Stick a massive conventional leisure battery in, and you could meet most of a house's electrical demands, maybe only clicking the grid in when you want to boil a kettle while the washer is on. I've got some solar powered outbuildings, and the battery only needs topping up from the mains a couple of times in winter despite a relatively small panel.

It's more like £3 per watt at the mo, so some way to go.

+1

There are quite a few groups working on these multilayer devices.. which is great in lab-based theory where you can knock them up individually using molecular beam epitaxy and other slow, batch-based research processes.

Don't get me wrong, It's a great idea.. but the real challenge is in working out how to bring these cheaply to mass production. When you are up against PECVD based roll-to-roll processes as they are looking at for CdTe based thin film cells, I fear these exotic devices may simply prove too complex to produce competitively.

+1

There are quite a few groups working on these multilayer devices.. which is great in lab-based theory where you can knock them up individually using molecular beam epitaxy and other slow, batch-based research processes.

Don't get me wrong, It's a great idea.. but the real challenge is in working out how to bring these cheaply to mass production. When you are up against PECVD based roll-to-roll processes as they are looking at for CdTe based thin film cells, I fear these exotic devices may simply prove too complex to produce competitively.

Well, that's where the march of technology helps you out. The complexity of a modern CPU is pretty vast but can be produced cheaply enough. If there's sufficient demand we usually find a way. The difference with computers though is that they promised things that couldn't be done on the same scale without them whereas there are plenty of alternative energy sources.

Well, that's where the march of technology helps you out. The complexity of a modern CPU is pretty vast but can be produced cheaply enough. If there's sufficient demand we usually find a way. The difference with computers though is that they promised things that couldn't be done on the same scale without them whereas there are plenty of alternative energy sources.

Possibly.. but don't forget it is slightly easier to justify batch processes with CPUs because of the number (and value) of units you can produce from a single wafer.

With a solar array you are looking at using several wafers per panel so the cost is significantly increased.

There still is quite a loss converting the DC electricity to AC. When they make that more efficiet then solar electricity becomes more viable

Yup, they have had super efficient solar cells since forever. The only place they use them is on satellites since you could buy 100x as many less efficient ones for the same price.

Don't satellites have a slight advantage over earth base solar cells?

Maybe Nature already has the answer. ;)

This would be poetic justice if it were true. Photosynthesis is only a few % efficient at converting sunlight into chemical energy.

+1

You move the production to CHina thats how, when china gets expensive you move it to North Korea

This would be poetic justice if it were true. Photosynthesis is only a few % efficient at converting sunlight into chemical energy.

It does, its called a mass extinction event.