House Price Crash Forum
Superted187

The Rents In My Area Have Increased, But Mine Hasn't...

This is a question I thought would be good to hear everyone's opinion on.

I currently rent a place in Reading with my girlfriend. We were looking to move until recently, when we realised that rents in our area have risen by a lot (properties that were previously £800 pcm now going for £900 pcm).

So we're sitting tight. My only fear is that we're on a rolling contract, and I know that Letting Agents in my area are phoning landlords and advising them to put their prices up.

Can I expect a call from my landlord telling me that he's putting the rent up?

Potentially, but if you're a good tenant why would the landlord rock the boat?!?

Secondly, my friend has just gone down the same path as you (wanting to move) and realised prices have jumped quite substantially in the past two years, but not increased on his.

How do you know the (dishonest) estate agents are not just adding £100 to their asking prices? (But not getting them).

It's more likely than the story that renters suddenly have more money to pay landlords with.

I currently rent a place in Reading with my girlfriend. We were looking to move until recently, when we realised that rents in our area have risen by a lot (properties that were previously £800 pcm now going for £900 pcm).

So we're sitting tight. My only fear is that we're on a rolling contract, and I know that Letting Agents in my area are phoning landlords and advising them to put their prices up.

Rents tend to be a bit seasonal.

In a university/technology town, property availabe in time for the influx of new grads starting work combining with new students who "forget" to arrange something sooner is going to push asking rents up in Aug/Sept.

tim

I live in London, just had my rent increased by 5% as the fixed term on my contract expired. I tried to negotiate but LL says rents have gone up, move out if you don't like it. The fact that I'm a reliable tenant and have been looking after the place pretty well counts for nothing, apparently. Looking at rental prices on rightmove and globrix it would appear that rents have shot up in my area so I've got to pinch my nose and swallow it.

Estate agents must be desparate to push up income from lettings as they are making less than half the number of sales compared to before the crash. Agents are therefore happy to push the rent up knowing that, should a current tenant move out, they will make even more money by finding new tenants.They can do this because the rental market in London is really tight at the moment. Not sure if this is some temporary consequence of the weird, stagnant house market knocking on to lettings or if it is a permanent kick in the balls for people who don't have the capital to buy their own place.

Edited by gimble

Similar around me but my landlord isn't showing any signs of doing this as he knows a good tenant is hard to find.

A bird in the hand ....

Investment rule no.1 - assess your risk.

Well, landlords being the least intelligent "investors", they won't understand the risk of making short sighted decisions.

This is exactly what worries me.

Short term gains over long term savings.

If he tries to come at us with an increase I'll haggle pretty hard, and if he doesn't budge we'll move. I'm happy with hassling myself if it means I'm hassling him.

This time next year we should be out of the south east and living in the midlands, largely because of housing costs. Any change in rent costs will just push this along more.