House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Chinese Toddler Caught By Passer-By After 10 Storey Fall

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8614039/Chinese-toddler-caught-by-passer-by-after-10-storey-fall.html

The toddler, who has been named as Zhang Fangyu, was sleeping at midday on Saturday when her grandmother decided to leave her unwatched and climb a couple of flights of stairs to collect the laundry from the roof of their 12-floor apartment building.

A few moments afterwards, however, eyewitnesses saw her clambering through an open window in their tenth-floor flat and teetering on a ledge for “around two minutes” before falling.

While Ms Wu sustained multiple fractures in her arm, the child only suffered some abdominal bruising. “The baby’s head, neck, chest and spine are all fine,” said doctors at the nearby Fuyang hospital.

“We will treat Mrs Wu for free,” said Jin Dengfeng, the president of the hospital. “When she reached out, she was putting her own life at risk. She could have died or been paralysed if the child had hit her head or back.”

One lucky child and one lucky lady, she could have seriously injured herself in trying to save the child. There was another story a weeks back about a child being stuck behind a air con unit several floors up in China.

I wonder if these incidents are statistically different in other parts of the world where highrises exist?

If so whats different with China, perhaps a different design is being used in the building construction making it easier for kids to escape perhaps? Childlocks on windows perhaps or windows that only open so far like you get in hotels?

Don't know but leaving your kids alone in Portugal isn't a good idea either...

I wonder if these incidents are statistically different in other parts of the world where highrises exist?

If so whats different with China, perhaps a different design is being used in the building construction making it easier for kids to escape perhaps? Childlocks on windows perhaps or windows that only open so far like you get in hotels?

A lot of the behavior you see in Asia we would consider extremely irresponsible. Latch key kids thing is completely normal. Allowing your children to go to town by themselves is also completely normal.

Speaking to strangers is also normal.

Even in more modern progressive countries like S Korea you see mothers wearing no helmet on scooters carrying two or three children between their legs a bag of shopping AND they don't ride carefully either.

Funny how so many commenters querying the caption and abdominal bruising quotes. Surely abdominal bruising _is_ a form of internal bleeding?

Nice to see that they are treating the mulitiple fractures Mrs Wu for free. What a lovely gesture on the part of the chinese authorities. I take back all my comments on their wuman wights policy

Nice to see that they are treating the mulitiple fractures Mrs Wu for free. What a lovely gesture on the part of the chinese authorities. I take back all my comments on their wuman wights policy

Broken arm? You can't really treat a broken arm other than covering it in plaster and leaving it for a bit and allowing it to heal.