House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

The £64,000 Trolley Raid: Scrap Metal Thieves Steal 800 Carts From Asda Store...paying 1 Them

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011014/The-64-000-trolley-raid-Scrap-metal-thieves-steal-800-carts-Asda-store--paying-1-them.html

Thieves have stolen more than 800 shopping trolleys from a supermarket - leaving the store with a bill for £64,000.

The Asda store has seen row after row of trolleys go missing over 12 days and it is thought that they are being sold as scrap metal.

What's the scrap value of a trolley?

Maybe someone has opened a new supermarket and thought this was a cheaper option than buying?

It's certainly safer than stealing copper from train lines.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011014/The-64-000-trolley-raid-Scrap-metal-thieves-steal-800-carts-Asda-store--paying-1-them.html

Maybe someone has opened a new supermarket and thought this was a cheaper option than buying?

£65 new apparently.

Given that the nice gentlemen who drive up my road in a flat bed twice a week collecting anything, literally anything that contains any metal whatsoever, I reckon the scrap value must be pretty high.

Only dodgy tw&ts and dodgy scrap yards.

I've tried getting rid of one (morrisons had two calls about it but haven't come and taken it back and I can't push it there - it's on the bloody kids used to bring all their booze back and left it abandoned. I could have left it to go in the canal but I have rung the supermarket in the past to get them to collect them...)

Our scrappy won't take them.

Mind you I saw another one the other day with a trolley on - should have shouted him to get this one.

(Mind you he'd got a couple of new looking mountain bikes on there too)

£65 new apparently.

Given that the nice gentlemen who drive up my road in a flat bed twice a week collecting anything, literally anything that contains any metal whatsoever, I reckon the scrap value must be pretty high.

The ones who drive around here just nick all the grids. Thieving pikey s**ts.

Everytime they nick some more the council has to replace them with a plastic non-nick worthy version. So that begs the question, if the metal grids are worth so much, why doesnt the council just replace them all at once and get the scrap money themselves?.

I weigh-in the odd tonne or two, currently getting £140/tonne for cars, farm scrap and £5 for dead car batteries. I guess the dealers sell it on for three times that.

TGB's

Thieving gypsy b*****ds

The ones who drive around here just nick all the grids. Thieving pikey s**ts.

Everytime they nick some more the council has to replace them with a plastic non-nick worthy version. So that begs the question, if the metal grids are worth so much, why doesnt the council just replace them all at once and get the scrap money themselves?.

Because the labour cost of taking the old ones out and replacing them is a lot more than the scrap value.

So that begs the question, if the metal grids are worth so much, why doesnt the council just replace them all at once and get the scrap money themselves?.

Because the labour cost of taking the old ones out and replacing them is a lot more than the scrap value.

Think of the H&S, the paperwork, the accounting, the audit trail, the press releases, the logo, this is not just a QUANGO, this is something more, for every £250k they got in scrap (nationally) it would cost the tax payer £10.25million.

Cant they RFID these things? The cost of that is negligible. Cant an alarm go off if they leave the car park, like an alarm goes off if you forget to pay for a 25p bag of crisps in the store. Need only be on exits, the rest of my local supermarkets car parks are enclosed with hedges or steel fencing.

Always amazes me when building sites have tens of thousands of stuff 'stolen' (yeah, right) and no apparent security is in place.

They are all being steadily nicked......so they will eventually have to replace them all anyway. So the current ad-hoc labout cost is probably more in the long run than if they organised a full scale swap.

Big problem here in the North is thieves tearing up the high voltage cables on railway lines. Don't know how they don't get killed. Network rail have started to install hidden CCTV along the track. They will probably nick those as well!

Its starting to happen. People are starting to rip up the infrastructure for cash.

Cant they RFID these things? The cost of that is negligible. Cant an alarm go off if they leave the car park, like an alarm goes off if you forget to pay for a 25p bag of crisps in the store. Need only be on exits, the rest of my local supermarkets car parks are enclosed with hedges or steel fencing.

How are you going to power this security device?

How are you going to stop this secutity device being nobbled by the theives?

If they take them by loading them into a van (which seems likely). How are you going to respond before they are 5 miles down the road?

tim

Its starting to happen. People are starting to rip up the infrastructure for cash.

It's been happening for years...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3074243.stm

I was once driving North on the M1 around 3am and stopped at a police road block. The officer was asking if I'd seen anyone stealing barriers from the central reservation...

Same with trolley rustlers. Worked in a supermarket as a trolley pusher in 1989. It was a problem then and that's why they introduced the £1 deposit and started chaining them all up a night. Also, some supermarkets already have a brake that is automatically applied to the trolley when it gets x meters from the store. Problem is, they'll be on a low loader by that point if a gang is stealing the lot of them.

Big problem here in the North is thieves tearing up the high voltage cables on railway lines. Don't know how they don't get killed. Network rail have started to install hidden CCTV along the track. They will probably nick those as well!

running a petrol saw on a long piece of 2x4 is one method I have seen, once the cable is cut and the power trips out they just cut away.

Telephone/signal cable tends to get stolen more often. less risk and all that

A new Lidl opened near me and within weeks all of the hand baskets had disappeared. The first time round they replaced them. They disappeared again. They gave up. You see people walking round the shop clutching a handful of goods (the trolley too big for what they need).

A. Crazy that people nick handbaskets.

B. Lidl must be losing sales on the basis that there is a limit to what people can carry in their hands.

There was / is a spate of sewer grid thefts. That's what I call a meltdown.

Telephone/signal cable tends to get stolen more often. less risk and all that

Problem last week in Hants when thieves tried to steal copper telephone cables but ended up severing a load of BT fibre optic cable instead. It caused widespread disruption including apparently knocking out the IT links for quite a few government offices. This looks like a top tip for those who want to smash the state. Don't waste your time demonstrating and rucking with the police just buy some bolt cutters and lift a few manhole covers.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

A new Lidl opened near me and within weeks all of the hand baskets had disappeared. The first time round they replaced them. They disappeared again. They gave up. You see people walking round the shop clutching a handful of goods (the trolley too big for what they need).

A. Crazy that people nick handbaskets.

B. Lidl must be losing sales on the basis that there is a limit to what people can carry in their hands.

There was / is a spate of sewer grid thefts. That's what I call a meltdown.

The Aldi that opened close to my stomping ground over 18 months ago never had hand baskets. The trolleys require £1 deposit to be used, which is fair enough. It is located next to a chavvy estate.